Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Um, guys... Federer is IMPROVING (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417808)

aceX 03-21-2012 04:19 PM

Um, guys... Federer is IMPROVING

I was really surprised that Fed was able to beat Nadal in that crazy wind considering he continues to play so aggressively. He's had recent success indoors, but seeing him make those shots in that wind made me realise that he's actually improving.

Cup8489 03-21-2012 04:24 PM

He's always been a good wind player. Why doesn't anyone know this?

aceX 03-21-2012 04:37 PM

Everyone knows he's a great player in the wind. I'm talking about painting the lines with aggressive indoor play in the middle of crazy wind and rain - beating Nadal in the process. Nadal's wider margins give him the advantage in the wind, this is in a match up where he already has the advantage.

The fact that he was able to play his indoor game in the wind shows he's getting even better.

LeeD 03-21-2012 04:40 PM

He knows he cannot push with Nadal, so he might as well play HIS game, regardless of court surface, weather, wind, humidity, or whatever.
That is a mental hurdle he has just overcome.

Towser83 03-21-2012 04:43 PM

or he had a really good day. I have to see him keep it up for a bit longer before I decide he's getting into his best form again. A few times in this impressive run of titles he's looked great and at sometimes he's looked a bit ropey, but if he can continue to play well when he needs to then that's what counts. He's beaten Murray and nadal recently, that's really good. Hopefully he can keep it up.

FlashFlare11 03-21-2012 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'm with Towser. As great as this win was, it will be short lived if he cannot carry it into Miami. The win over Nadal gives me hope that Federer will continue to pursue effective tactics against him, even if it means giving up a few points here and there. The confidence in a strategy and in his own abilities has to be present.

Bobby Jr 03-21-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6413141)
He knows he cannot push with Nadal, so he might as well play HIS game, regardless of court surface, weather, wind, humidity, or whatever.

Surely you're not suggesting the result is on Federer's racquet?? :lol:

I agree btw... when he has a good day and can play how he wants he is the better player. Those days just haven't come often enough in the past couple of years.

Towser83 03-21-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 (Post 6413161)
Yeah, I'm with Towser. As great as this win was, it will be short lived if he cannot carry it into Miami. The win over Nadal gives me hope that Federer will continue to pursue effective tactics against him, even if it means giving up a few points here and there. The confidence in a strategy and in his own abilities has to be present.

Yeah exactly. I mean I won't freak out if he doesn't win Miami, but I hope he carries on playing well and has the right attitude and plays well in the clay season too. If you can play well and be positive, you won't win everything but you give yourself a good shot at most tournaments. That's what i want to see from Roger, him playing well win or lose and if he has a bad tournament, he gets back in the groove for the next one.

Qubax 03-21-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 6413149)
or he had a really good day. I have to see him keep it up for a bit longer before I decide he's getting into his best form again. A few times in this impressive run of titles he's looked great and at sometimes he's looked a bit ropey, but if he can continue to play well when he needs to then that's what counts. He's beaten Murray and nadal recently, that's really good. Hopefully he can keep it up.

+1

Very realistic and grounded response.

You have no place on these boards.

Towser83 03-21-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubax (Post 6413186)
+1

Very realistic and grounded response.

You have no place on these boards.

haha yeah sometimes I feel very out of place, but there are a few people here who try to keep a good balance... thanks man

DjokovicForTheWin 03-21-2012 05:15 PM

I agree, I think Fed just had a good day. Not to say he can't do it again, but I doubt it could ever happen in a slam against Nadal, except maybe at USO.

Magnetite 03-21-2012 05:20 PM

I think his experience paid off in that match.

He knows how to manage his game in those conditions better than Rafa ..

and he was on fire :)

FlashFlare11 03-21-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 6413185)
Yeah exactly. I mean I won't freak out if he doesn't win Miami, but I hope he carries on playing well and has the right attitude and plays well in the clay season too. If you can play well and be positive, you won't win everything but you give yourself a good shot at most tournaments. That's what i want to see from Roger, him playing well win or lose and if he has a bad tournament, he gets back in the groove for the next one.

Roger is the best at this. The streak is Roger's response to the loss to Djokovic at the US Open (a pretty bad loss, I'd say). That's simply incredible! I doubt that there's ever been a player who goes from his most devastating defeats to remarkable victories and streaks as quickly as Roger.

spiderman123 03-21-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicForTheWin (Post 6413196)
I agree, I think Fed just had a good day. Not to say he can't do it again, but I doubt it could ever happen in a slam against Nadal, except maybe at USO.

and Cincy.

BobFL 03-21-2012 05:37 PM

I don't think that he is getting better in any particular part of the game. He has always been great. I do, however, think that he is getting less stubborn and more aware of his 'mortality'.

cc0509 03-21-2012 05:46 PM

I don't think Federer is improving so much as he is clearly still long past his prime but what he is doing lately is working very hard to make up for what he is lacking due to age--ie.. slower movement and reaction time. In addition, he seems to be really keyed up and motivated now more than he has been in a couple of years IMO. He obviously knows that time is against him and it looks like he is trying hard for that final push of his career. Gotta hand it to him that he can still be so motivated after he has accomplished so much. I hope he is able to continue this streak for at least a while. Go Rog!

Hood_Man 03-21-2012 05:50 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about Fedal, it's great that he beat Nadal in bad conditions outdoors but until he manages to win 2 matches in a row against the guy for the first time since 2007, I'm going to control myself.

Saying that, he's been with Annacone for a while now, the long term effects are probably beginning to bare fruit on a more consistent basis. The last time he had a start to a season this good was, what, 2006? He's proving he can still dominate most of the tour, and not only at the end of the season when everyone else is worn out or injured and everything's indoors.

cc0509 03-21-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6413269)
I'm cautiously optimistic about Fedal, it's great that he beat Nadal in bad conditions outdoors but until he manages to win 2 matches in a row against the guy for the first time since 2007, I'm going to control myself.

I am with you 100% on that one.

FlashFlare11 03-21-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6413269)

Saying that, he's been with Annacone for a while now, the long term effects are probably beginning to bare fruit on a more consistent basis. The last time he had a start to a season this good was, what, 2006? He's proving he can still dominate most of the tour, and not only at the end of the season when everyone else is worn out or injured and everything's indoors.

Sums-up my feelings exactly! Great post! :)

aceX 03-21-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells.

Quote:

I think Fed just had a good day.

Sorry, but... no.