Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wilander vs Connors? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417994)

Pebbles10 03-23-2012 05:02 AM

Wilander vs Connors?

Did Connors win over Mats Wilander in a competition match?

I have heard that Wilander had 8-0 over connors....

I wonder why Connors had such a hard time against Mats.

hoodjem 03-23-2012 05:08 AM

Simply put--age. Connors is 12 years older.

They first played when Wilander was in 1984, nearly in his prime. Wilander was 20 and had won three slams, Connors was 32. After that it just got worse.

Connors was on the way down by then.

Imagine two overlapping career curves: Connors's career is descending 1984-88. Wilander's is peaking in 1988 when he won three slams. By 1988 Wilander is 24; Connors is 36.

The odds were stacked against Connors.

Stuart S 03-23-2012 05:16 AM

I am almost certain Connors won one match in the mid-to-late 1980s. I will need to check it out. I will get back to you!

kiki 03-23-2012 06:47 AM

Wilander must have been a bad matchup for Jimbo.His looping ball, slowly changing pace, " sleeping" the match from the baseline...just the contrary to Lendl, who tried to overpower Connors and got overpowered himself...

Plus Matt´s serve was pretty soft, that deprived Connors´return to be a weapon ( as it was against Mc Enroe or Lendl)

Xavier G 03-23-2012 08:40 AM

Wilander was a bit like the second coming of Borg! Jimmy sees off Borg (in his own mind), and then has to contend with another young, patient, dogged counter-puncher with good groundstrokes and stamina to burn just as he's going over the hill himself.

timnz 03-23-2012 11:46 AM

Suntory cup 1986

Connors beat wilander 6-4 6-0.

Connors also beat wilander at Beaver creek In 1983 and 1985, both times in straight sets

Stuart S 03-23-2012 11:51 AM

Thank you Timnz,

That's the one I was thinking of! :)

Incidentally, although Wilander clearly won the H2H count, I don't think Connors respected Wilander all that much. I recall at least one occasion, maybe more, when Connors appeared to criticise him for not giving every match 100% all of the time. I think he said this around 1983, and possible later also.

Mustard 03-23-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 6417483)
Thank you Timnz,

Incidentally, although Wilander clearly won the H2H count, I don't think Connors respected Wilander all that much. I recall at least one occasion, maybe more, when Connors appeared to criticise him for not giving every match 100% all of the time. I think he said this around 1983, and possible later also.

Connors did criticise Wilander for not always giving his all, but Mats is a different person from Jimmy with a different philosophy on tennis. McEnroe also criticised Wilander, saying he got the impression that Wilander wanted to inherit the number 1 ranking instead of going out there and taking it.

Connors was Wilander's idol when he was young, not Borg. Wilander said "You idolise people who have qualities you don't have", obviously referring Connors' fight whereas Borg had a similar demeanour on court to Wilander.

timnz 03-23-2012 01:45 PM

Any other wins of connors over wilander?

Apart from those 3 I listed - suntory cup and two at beaver creek, is there any others? It seems that connors only beat wilander at invitational tournaments, though i am sure they played hard. Perhaps in the semis of suntory or beaver creek in other years or the semis of some other invitational tournament? Historians?

Zimbo 03-23-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6417477)
Connors beat wilander 6-4 6-0.

Connors also beat wilander at Beaver creek In 1983 and 1985, both times in straight sets

Those were exos. Wilander never won an exo vs Connors.

kiki 03-23-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 6417483)
Thank you Timnz,

Connors, the Big Mouth.

big ted 03-23-2012 09:00 PM

i remember watching a connors tv espn special and they interviewed wilander and he remembered -

he first met connors when they had a practice session together at the french open when he first came on tour (maybe 82 or 83?) and mats said on the changeovers jimmy kept trash talking under his breath and mats couldnt believe he was doing this in a PRACTICE SET..haha. mats was laughing about it when he was remembering the story..

anyway i think mats was a bad match up for connors. both baseliners but mats had much more margin for error with his topspin.

timnz 03-23-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimbo (Post 6417841)
Those were exos. Wilander never won an exo vs Connors.

They weren't exo's, they were invitational tournaments. Exo's are typically one night stands which arent often played seriously.

Zimbo 03-25-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6418606)
They weren't exo's, they were invitational tournaments. Exo's are typically one night stands which arent often played seriously.

Yes but they weren't considered official ATP tournys.

jrepac 03-25-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimbo (Post 6422352)

True, but they usually had at least 3 rounds or so....Suntory was one of the better ones. I recall seeing that match w/Jimmy & Mats. Close first set, but Connors got the momentum and ran away w/it. Not sure how much Mats was trying once Jimmy took the upper hand; honestly, it was hard to tell when Connors was ripping winners all over the place. It was fast indoor carpet, which favored Jimmy's game. And for whatever, reason, he was awfully eager.

Pebbles10 03-29-2012 04:44 AM

Wilander was never good in any matches that was not for "real".

He was as best in the slams and Davis Cup.

Moose Malloy 03-29-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Neither was the Pepsi Grand Slam or any WCT tournaments. I seriously doubt anyone watching Connors-Wilander Suntory CUP on national TV thought it didn't count.

and the atp site is constantly updating older players records, who knows this head to head may officially change someday.

Zimbo 03-29-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 6433141)
Neither was the Pepsi Grand Slam or any WCT tournaments. I seriously doubt anyone watching Connors-Wilander Suntory CUP on national TV thought it didn't count.

and the atp site is constantly updating older players records, who knows this head to head may officially change someday.

Yeah I agree. They were important matches but it did go to show that Wilander never lost an official ATP match but he lost every single non ATP match to Connors. Coincident? I think not. That's why Connors and Mac called Wilander out on not always trying.

Pebbles10 03-30-2012 12:19 AM

Just look at the year 1988.....wilander won AO, Key Biscayne(over Connors in the final), FO and USO. He played great in the Davis cup wins over Leconte and Noah.

He was at his peak when it was big matches.

kiki 03-31-2012 06:27 AM

Wilander was a smart guy who knew how to become a nightmare for guys like Vilas, Lendl and Connors.In the case of Connors, he even owned him at Jimmy´s favourite hard courts like Cincinatti...