Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   **The PURE DRIVE 2012 Forum (club)** (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=420358)

BC1 04-13-2012 06:55 AM

**The PURE DRIVE 2012 Forum (club)**

There are many great "club" threads discussing the Pure Drives and Babolats from over the years. However, there doesn't appear to be one main thread for all users of the new and amazing Pure Drive 2012 (all versions). Also known around these parts as the "Black Drive".

Pure Driver's, let's use this thread to discuss all things (good and bad) about the Pure Drive 2012. The PD is one of the most popular and game changing racquets ever made and the 2012 version seems to be one of the best yet.

If you are a PD2012 user (any version), join the "club" and tell us your experiences. Let's discuss set-ups, specs, ask questions, give advice, and help each other with tips and techniques. If you're not a pd2012 user, join in the conversation and take advantage of all the knowledge and experience on this forum. Most importantly, let's have some fun!

EDIT... There are a lot of great threads on the PD and Babolat Racquets on this site. Far too many to list. However, here are a few you may want to check out that will provide you with more information and history on the Babolat PD and others.
BABOLAT ALLIANCE CALLING http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...bolat+alliance
THE BLACK DRIVE + http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...hlight=babolat
Impressive babolat collection (pics):
PURE DRIVE 2012 QUESTIONS http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ght=PURE+DRIVE
TW PD2012 RODDICK REVIEW http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...+drive+roddick

fibonacci888 04-13-2012 07:22 AM

I'm here!

Short introduction:

Dutch tennisplayer for five years now and always looking to improve. My current level locally is around 5,5. Which in the USA that is around 4.0 I guess.

I played several years with the Exo3 red and found my balls flying long. Therefor started my search for a tweener and last year bought a exo3 black. After a small injury i couldn't find my way with the racket and decided to look for a new one.

My testing was: wilson pro open, technifibre TFlash 300 and the Pacific Xfast. In the end the choice was between the Babolat and the Pacific but found more feel with the Babolat. Although the Babolat i pretty stiff and my arms feels heavy some times i found the feel and ways of attacking the balls more important.
Currently my setup is pacific synth gut in the mains at 26kg and pacific Xforce string in the corss 25kg.

BC1 04-13-2012 07:52 AM

^^^ Welcome Fibonacci, I think this is a similar story that many of us will have. It's a struggle to find the "perfect" tweener. I know I have tried many over the past few months and a lot over the past two years.

What amazes me about the 2012 PD is the control and feel the racquet has. I have about as much control with it as any player racquet I've tried. I think this is what seperates it from the other similar tweeners. It also does give you that incentive to attack the ball and hit with confidence.

I'm liking the fxp tour strings, but I would like to get another PD2012 strung with Lux Alu Power at 54-56lbs. This racquet is comfortable enough in my opinion to handle full poly at a low tension. And YES I know it's not advisable or smart, and I'm asking for problems, etc. (I don't want to get into that whole poly debate!!)

Dgdavid 04-13-2012 08:06 AM

Count me in. I have one strung with Alu Power at 53lbs and it is very nice indeed. Live in Surrey, England.

fibonacci888 04-13-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 6462165)
^^^
I'm liking the fxp tour strings, but I would like to get another PD2012 strung with Lux Alu Power at 54-56lbs. This racquet is comfortable enough in my opinion to handle full poly at a low tension. And YES I know it's not advisable or smart, and I'm asking for problems, etc. (I don't want to get into that whole poly debate!!)

My next setup will have gut in the mains and a thin poly in the cross.

If you want to try out the poly, i should do it. So many peoples so many wishes. A poly a low tensions is an option, but i'm going with gut/poly and later for a full multi for my first tests.

BC1 04-13-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 6462189)
Count me in. I have one strung with Alu Power at 53lbs and it is very nice indeed. Live in Surrey, England.

Dg, now tell us about your racquet journey over the past 8 weeks and how you ended up with the PD2012 :)

Just kidding, we all know it's been well documented in the Warrior thread. I am curious though if you are still holding on to your IG prestiges, or do you feel the PD gives you enough control that you don't need a "control" racquet in your bag? Maybe all the other sticks have already been sold?

It's amazing how control and pure drive are now being used in the same sentence. It was an oxymoron before the pd2012. I personally don't look at it as just a power racquet anymore.

53lbs sounds good for alu power. How's the spin?

anubis 04-13-2012 08:47 AM

*kicks stone, hangs head*
aww shucks, I only have two 2011's. I can't come and play :(

But seriously, do you really notice a difference between the 2011 and 2012?

BC1 04-13-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6462269)
*kicks stone, hangs head*
aww shucks, I only have two 2011's. I can't come and play :(

But seriously, do you really notice a difference between the 2011 and 2012?

Of course you're welcome. And YES, there is a difference. Maybe not as huge as I or others seem to be making it out, but to me there is a noticeable difference in power, control and feel. A little less power, more control, and better feel. Plus it seems slightly more solid, not as hollow feeling or sounding.

And from what I've heard, there are some major manufacturing changes - it's definitely not the same racquet with a new pj.

I also played with the 2010/11 PDGT. The 2012 has the same PD characteristics, but as I've heard others say, it's more refined.

BC1 04-13-2012 09:01 AM

JackB1, hope your PD2012 gets here soon so you can come join the party!!
I look forward to your impressions.

Also, Power Player, I know you are using the "Plus", but we need your valuable posts here as well!
I am actually planning on trying the plus as soon as I can get a demo. Is there any advantage to having a plus and a standard? or would it be detrimental to your game trying to switch back and forth? I would think so.

YesTennis 04-13-2012 09:37 AM

I'm ready to join! I've also been demoing a slew of racquets. The PD is really great. I've been trying to generate more topspin, and this racquet really helps. Opponents have commented on the spin and heaviness. I'm pushing 50 yo, and had fears of the stiffness. None after the first hitting session, and have now been using it for 2 months. Softened it up a little with VS mains and RPM crosses at mid tension. My ego has had me trying more "players racquets," but the results have been best with the PD. Like the other racquetholics, I'll probably still demo some others, but I'm really happy with the PD.

fibonacci888 04-13-2012 09:41 AM

As i'm not playing for that long my timing isn't always correct. The longer rackets tend to emphazise that problem.

On the other hand when you are ready for the ball and in a good position you have more swingspeed and power to punish the ball.

RollTrackTake 04-13-2012 09:42 AM

I had 4 hours with the 2012 PD this morning and a came away thoroughly impressed. It was strung with a poly 4lbs below mid (51?). I tried the GT version 2 year ago when that came out and did not take to it. IMHO This version felt a lot better in every department. It maintained the beastly serving and groundstrokes while adding in the comfort and control areas.

BC1 04-13-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibonacci888 (Post 6462360)
As i'm not playing for that long my timing isn't always correct. The longer rackets tend to emphazise that problem.

On the other hand when you are ready for the ball and in a good position you have more swingspeed and power to punish the ball.

Makes sense, and I often find myself too bunched up, even with a standard, so I probably need to stay away from the extended length.

Dgdavid 04-13-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 6462265)
Dg, now tell us about your racquet journey over the past 8 weeks and how you ended up with the PD2012 :)

Just kidding, we all know it's been well documented in the Warrior thread. I am curious though if you are still holding on to your IG prestiges, or do you feel the PD gives you enough control that you don't need a "control" racquet in your bag? Maybe all the other sticks have already been sold?

It's amazing how control and pure drive are now being used in the same sentence. It was an oxymoron before the pd2012. I personally don't look at it as just a power racquet anymore.

53lbs sounds good for alu power. How's the spin?

I agree, it has changed my opinion on the level of control from a power/tweener racket. I am finding the PD to do everything I need. The Alu Power gives lots of spin and control for me and I finally have strong flat and topspin shots in the same racket (I had the former only with the Prestige, the latter only with the Warrior). The weakest shot for me was the OHBH with the PD as I normally need a bit more weight for consistency but a combination of the new string and gripping it tighter (not normally recommended) has really sorted that.

My racket collection is going to be slimmed down, it is only finding buyers with decent offers slowing it down. I have 2 x Warrior 100, 2 x Yonex Vcore 98D, 2 x Dunlop Biomimetic 200, the PD 2012 (keeping) and an incoming Volkl Organix V1 (who knows?!). I may well keep the 200s in case I go back to control rackets but only if I get no decent offers. If the V1 doesn't measure up, I would be very happy to own nothing except three PD 2012s.

Agile with controlling power and accuracy, that's the PD 2012.

BC1 04-13-2012 10:35 AM

^^DG, did you say your OBH is weak with the PD, or improved with the PD? Because that is the one area that I am having problems with. It's never been a strong part of my game, but last night it was absolutely horrible. (and of course I got to attribute some of that to the racquet.) I was playing against a lefty in doubles and he kept serving to by backhand right down the center line and it would just curve in, hit the tape (clay courts) and kick out to my left. I was playing the duece side. No matter what I did, or how far center I stood, he kept hitting it to by backhand - I DO NOT LIKE LEFTIES!! very tough to play if you're not use to it. We ended up winning. And I left the night still very satisfied with the PD, but my backhand stunk all night.

fibonacci888 04-13-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 6462454)
I DO NOT LIKE LEFTIES!! very tough to play if you're not use to it.

Try playing against a lefty with a PD2012 in his hand :twisted:

Dgdavid 04-13-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 6462454)
^^DG, did you say your OBH is weak with the PD, or improved with the PD? Because that is the one area that I am having problems with. It's never been a strong part of my game, but last night it was absolutely horrible. (and of course I got to attribute some of that to the racquet.) I was playing against a lefty in doubles and he kept serving to by backhand right down the center line and it would just curve in, hit the tape (clay courts) and kick out to my left. I was playing the duece side. No matter what I did, or how far center I stood, he kept hitting it to by backhand - I DO NOT LIKE LEFTIES!! very tough to play if you're not use to it. We ended up winning. And I left the night still very satisfied with the PD, but my backhand stunk all night.

My OHBH is weaker with the PD, it doesn't come through the ball like the Prestige or even the Warrior (highly SW than PD). However, I have modified my stroke in the past two matches and it has really helped, maybe even resolved the problem but time will tell. I had to do the following:
  1. Hold the grip significantly tighter than usual on my backhand shot
  2. Done away with the brushing up motion and hitting it flatter over the net like I used to with Prestige
  3. Hitting a more solid, powerful shot. Item 1 seems to be stopping it flying. Really concentrated on hitting in front.
  4. Preparing even earlier than usual and forcing myself to do a full stroke (the power of the PD keeps making me want to shorten it but that doesn't work)

The above has given me hard low drives again rather than deep floaters. Also getting better slices with item 1. I know gripping tighter is not normally recommended but it is working.

ps. I recently started returning constant attacks to my backhand to deep middle court rather than cross court to the corner. Draws a lot more errors from them from their off forehand (for righties).

BC1 04-13-2012 11:47 AM

Dg, thank you for the tips and great timing. I will be playing in a singles and doubles tournament this weekend. My first round match is in two hours! The pd2012 will hopefully see a lot of play time!!

fibonacci888 04-13-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 6462591)
Dg, thank you for the tips and great timing. I will be playing in a singles and doubles tournament this weekend. My first round match is in two hours! The pd2012 will hopefully see a lot of play time!!

Lots of luck in the tournament! In 14 hours our second round of the competition starts.

Power Player 04-13-2012 12:20 PM

Not sure what else to say on the plus except that for me personally I like to have the same length sticks. It really helps me on my 2 hander and serve. It also has a higher SW in stock form so just add some lead at 12 and I have modded it.

I would not want to switch back and forth though between standard and extended in a match.