Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What college tennis is all about (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421445)

Clemson_tennis 04-22-2012 02:55 PM

What college tennis is all about
 
Let's be honest, pro tennis is much higher quality than college tennis and there is nothing like best of 5 battles in grand slams. But there are things in college tennis that are impossible to generate in the pro game. What are some of these moments?

Last night in Lubbock, Texas is a great example.
"I really fed off the energy of the crowd tonight," said Carvalho. "I will remember this moment forever. This was my Senior Night. It was special."

That quote sums up what college tennis is all bout. The Red Raiders pulled off a dramatic win over rival Texas with senior Gonzalo Escobar clinching the match in front of 1,000 fans under the lights.

this photo gallery is awesome

This Texas Tech team has not been known for mental strength but they decided that on senior night for their top 3 players that they would not lose.

what college tennis is all about right there.

tball2day 04-22-2012 05:59 PM

..................

Clemson_tennis 04-22-2012 07:04 PM

yeah thats the ugly side of college tennis


Another great moment was recently, again involving Texas. When Ben Chen stepped up and grabbed the victory from the Aggies. Texas had failed to close the door and A&M was rallying and had full momentum which in and of itself would have been a great college tennis moment because of the rally on 3 courts. But despite all the momentum, I'm sure the crowd was in shock of what was happening, Ben Chen stepped up and punched back. Down 2-5 in the 3rd set he stood up and didn't let A&M steal the win. He stole it right back from them as the Aggies were attempting a theft of their own. Great moment

Clemson_tennis 04-22-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Camillone of Texas about Chen's clinching win
Chen throws his racquet over the fence. LAD. We almost tackle him as we rush the court. We start bouncing around and screaming. It’s crazy. Coach Center and (associate head coach) Ricardo (Rubio) can’t believe it. Nobody knew what was going on. We were in a state of shock and complete, overwhelming excitement. As Alex Hilliard put it, “I’m just in a state of euphoria.” No question, it was one of the best feelings ever, and it was one of the most emotional dual matches ever played. Go to the Texas Tennis Facebook page, watch the video titled “Chensanity”, friend request Ben Chen, try to meet him, get his autograph, shake his hand, whatever. The guy achieved legendary status as a Longhorn tennis player with that victory, and he made the match one of the most epic victories in Texas history. This story will be passed on for a while; it’s a moment that none of us will ever forget.

they were down 5-2 on 3 courts in 3rd set

Clemson_tennis 04-29-2012 06:11 PM

Texas beats A&M in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Texas Tech beats Texas in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Baylor beats Texas Tech in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Oklahoma beats Baylor in 3rd set tiebreaker decider

college tennis at its best. These teams felt the joy and the pain.

mikej 04-29-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6496976)
Texas beats A&M in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Texas Tech beats Texas in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Baylor beats Texas Tech in 3rd set tiebreaker decider
Oklahoma beats Baylor in 3rd set tiebreaker decider

college tennis at its best. These teams felt the joy and the pain.

haha very cool sequence

JLyon 04-30-2012 06:49 AM

did a 5th/6th place match yesterday for a DIII Conference, the match went 5-4, the winning team came back from a 4-2 deficit winning final 2 matches in 3rd set after being down a set, final match was a break at 4-4 in the 4rd set. Winning team celebrated as if they won the title, fun stuff to see.

jaggy 04-30-2012 07:03 AM

Really nice pictures, thanks

SoCal10s 04-30-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 6482330)
On the other side, it beats playing your senior day match with an opponent cheating throughout the match - new ucla guy was living up to his junior reputation, being overturned several times and even defaulting game (and lost). Way to class up the joint. Maybe Socal knows more about this?

it's beyond my comprehension how can a well established coach like B.Martin can recruit that kid,when everywhere eles turned him down.. maybe he's stepping into the dark-side .. UCLA has some of the classiest players on their starting roster .. but this new guy is bringing the real ugly side into college tennis .especially into this program,with its great history..
and now B.Martin is sandbagging at the #1 spot.. i didn't think coach Smith would have put in a formal protest about it,but how did it happen in the first place..

Captivate 04-30-2012 12:50 PM

So many cheaters in college tennis :(

floridatennisdude 04-30-2012 02:27 PM

How did a thread that started like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6482078)
Let's be honest, pro tennis is much higher quality than college tennis and there is nothing like best of 5 battles in grand slams. But there are things in college tennis that are impossible to generate in the pro game. What are some of these moments?

Last night in Lubbock, Texas is a great example.
"I really fed off the energy of the crowd tonight," said Carvalho. "I will remember this moment forever. This was my Senior Night. It was special."

That quote sums up what college tennis is all bout. The Red Raiders pulled off a dramatic win over rival Texas with senior Gonzalo Escobar clinching the match in front of 1,000 fans under the lights.

this photo gallery is awesome

This Texas Tech team has not been known for mental strength but they decided that on senior night for their top 3 players that they would not lose.

what college tennis is all about right there.

Evolve into this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captivate (Post 6498538)
So many cheaters in college tennis :(


r2473 04-30-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 6482330)
On the other side, it beats playing your senior day match with an opponent cheating throughout the match - new ucla guy was living up to his junior reputation, being overturned several times and even defaulting game (and lost). Way to class up the joint. Maybe Socal knows more about this?

3. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. #13 Daniel Nguyen (USC) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 13-11

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-te...-2012/usc.html

This match ended when Nguyen called the ball out and the ref overturned the call. Match over. There was absolutely no argument from the USC coaches. Everyone was watching this match at this point as it was the last one to finish.

Nguyen called another ball out on an earlier match point that probably didn't even touch the line. The ref didn't overturn that one. The USC coaches watching on the side looked a little embarressed after this call. Sort of looked pretty hard at their player. Everyone knew it was well in.

tball2day 04-30-2012 06:24 PM

...............

Clemson_tennis 05-20-2012 08:14 PM

Llompart winning in front of a hostile crowd to secure the upset is just about the best college sport can get. Of course ESPNU will keep showing Valparaiso softball(seriously I saw that on the other day).

Great great match between Pepperdine and UGA. It's great to see the Pepperdine players not be initmidated. Fanselow and Llompart came through and Sofaer played lights out in doubles.

treeman10 05-20-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6552818)
Llompart winning in front of a hostile crowd to secure the upset is just about the best college sport can get. Of course ESPNU will keep showing Valparaiso softball(seriously I saw that on the other day).

Right there with you Clemson, I couldn't believe they were showing a regional (yes regional) NCAA playoff of women's softball. Sure that bolstered the ratings. Do you know, are semis and finals on ESPNU or ESPN3? I couldn't find tennis on either one for 21st or 22nd. I may need to persuade a local bartender (with a zillion stations) to have it on.

ClarkC 05-21-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 6552896)
Right there with you Clemson, I couldn't believe they were showing a regional (yes regional) NCAA playoff of women's softball. Sure that bolstered the ratings. Do you know, are semis and finals on ESPNU or ESPN3? I couldn't find tennis on either one for 21st or 22nd. I may need to persuade a local bartender (with a zillion stations) to have it on.

Only on ncaa.com streaming. No live TV at all this year.

treeman10 05-21-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 6554836)
Only on ncaa.com streaming. No live TV at all this year.

:( I hope they at least have sound, very hard to get into it without it. Thanks ClarkC.

jaggy 05-21-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 6554853)
:( I hope they at least have sound, very hard to get into it without it. Thanks ClarkC.

I hope so too but always expect the worst when the ncaa is concerned

floridatennisdude 05-21-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 6554836)
Only on ncaa.com streaming. No live TV at all this year.

It's really too bad. The women's championship last year was such a thriller, especially for those in my camp. Stinks that only the diehards tuning in will get the experience and not the casual fans.

ClarkC 05-21-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 6554853)
:( I hope they at least have sound, very hard to get into it without it. Thanks ClarkC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 6554880)
I hope so too but always expect the worst when the ncaa is concerned

The streaming of the finals will be different from all earlier rounds. At ncaa.com, it will not be based on webcams. The Turner Sports crew from Atlanta is contracted to film and supply the stream. We will see how much difference that makes tomorrow.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse