Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wait...RG is blue clay this year?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421471)

gahaha 04-22-2012 07:21 PM

Wait...RG is blue clay this year??

I heard something about many pros complaining that RG will be played on blue clay this year, not sure if true, but anyway Babolat is having all their APD people use the French Open paint jobs with the paint reflecting the RG red cl....oh wait its blue..??

Sorry just did some search, thank god its only for Madrid...or is it?!

off_the_bounce 04-22-2012 07:23 PM

that's madrid not roland garros

Sentinel 04-22-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahaha (Post 6482463)
I heard something about many pros complaining that RG will be played on blue clay this year, not sure if true, but anyway Babolat is having all their APD people use the French Open paint jobs with the paint reflecting the RG red cl....oh wait its blue..??

Only Raplha complains. Has he started already ?

TennisLovaLova 04-23-2012 12:07 AM

Rafa doesnt complain.
He just expresses his feelings :D

CMM 04-23-2012 07:45 AM

Tiriac said yesterday that he's also planning to change the colour of the ball in the future, for better visibility. He's working with Dunlop.
This man is crazy. :)

decades 04-23-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahaha (Post 6482463)

posting without research first? i never would have expected that here.

Rock Strongo 04-23-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMM (Post 6483219)
Tiriac said yesterday that he's also planning to change the colour of the ball in the future, for better visibility. He's working with Dunlop.
This man is crazy. :)

I'm imagining him billowing up a cloud of smoke and start shouting whenever someone disagrees with him, kind of like: "LISTEN TO ME FOR I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN ROMANIA!"

monfed 04-23-2012 07:59 AM

Blue or Red, clay SUCKS!

PrinceMoron 04-23-2012 08:29 AM

Wimbledon is going blue this year.

Well for the Olympics anyway. Maybe they will like it and keep it. Oh not the grass, the screens, covers chairs etc etc. Actually, if it is going very blue I should put some money on Murray.

jaggy 04-23-2012 08:31 AM

Murray certainly always looks blue.

Bud 04-23-2012 10:50 AM

Has it been confirmed yet that Madrid will definitely be blue in 2012?

- -

It appears so:

How do we produce blue clay?

tennis_pro 04-23-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 6483595)
Has it been confirmed yet that Madrid will definitely be blue in 2012?

- -

It appears so:

How do we produce blue clay?

Can't wait for Madrid this year, I think it's gonna be so much fun. Just hope it doesn't change the speed of clay used in that venue as it was pretty fast.

jmverdugo 04-23-2012 11:48 AM

I am also anticipating this blue clay and they do have a point, unless you have high HD it is really though to follow the ball on clay.

christinamaniac7 04-23-2012 12:45 PM

Boy, this tiriac guy is crazy!! really what does he think with himself?

Bobby Jr 04-23-2012 04:10 PM

I think the blue clay idea is a good one for a number of reasons. The publicity value for a start has and will be significant, and the TV/contrast thing has always been an issue on clay. We were told it would be solved with the move to HD and larger screens but it hasn't fully. There are still issues at some venues.

This is Tiriac being a smart businessman. If it turns out good for TV etc I suspect we'll see others lining up to do the same. Whether he can actually protect the concept of a blue clay court is another thing. He can probably patent his process for creating it but if someone else came up with their own process to achieve the same I doubt he could stop them from doing it. A colour of an existing object in-itself cannot be patented without some pretty special reasoning behind the application. A blue clay court per se would seem unable to be patented - however, different countries definitely vary greatly in how strictly or lax their protection applications are handled.

jmverdugo 04-23-2012 04:23 PM

... I am not sure what they mean about "trademark", if they mean that it is going to be what separates the tourney from the rest clay tournaments or if they actually registered the blue clay as their trade mark which would mean nobody else can uses it unless they pay lots of money to Triac & Cia.

gavna 04-23-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6483245)
Blue or Red, clay SUCKS!

No hard courts suck.....clay (including Har Tru) rules.

Bobby Jr 04-23-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 6484309)
... I am not sure what they mean about "trademark",...

Where does it say trademark? Trademarks are for created name/logo/designs, not physical objects or process.

jmverdugo 04-23-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 6484342)
Where does it say trademark? Trademarks are for created name/logo/designs, not physical objects or process.

right here

After reading it again seems like it is used to say that it is a distinctive feature, me thinks!

Bobby Jr 04-23-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 6484479)
right here

After reading it again seems like it is used to say that it is a distinctive feature, me thinks!

Yes, it reads more like it's being used in that manner to me also rather than saying it is actually trademarked (which it couldn't be as I explained a few posts above).