Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Article re: Williams Sisters & Olympics (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421927)

woodrow1029 04-26-2012 01:19 PM

Article re: Williams Sisters & Olympics

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/te...-let-them-play

pug 04-26-2012 01:25 PM

greg couch is out to lunch. Reward bad behavior and step on the players that have worked hard and followed the rules, yea that is a great example to set. The williams sisters deserve what they have earned as far as the olympics, which is to stay home.

bluetrain4 04-26-2012 01:49 PM

I don't think any "bad behavior" is at issue, simply that they haven't technically met the requirements.

Bud 04-26-2012 02:02 PM

Big dilemma for the ITF. The Williams sisters always pull in a ton of people to watch their matches... especially if they were to play doubles. Perhaps, the ITF can give Venus one of the wildcards available. I think Serena has already qualified for the Olympics.

Huber, Raymond, King or McHale should be allowed to play based on their participation and achievements.

Serena did help the USA win last month in the Ukraine. Venus is the biggest issue as her ranking isn't high enough for direct entry and her Fed Cup participation requirement has not been met.

Carsomyr 04-26-2012 02:04 PM

At first I thought he was using irony by saying that the sisters should get to play despite not meeting requirements and at the expense of other players. And then I realized he was completely serious. Who is this guy? This article is awful, whether you agree with his opinions or not.

sureshs 04-26-2012 02:08 PM

They have met the requirements, which seem to just "be available," isn't it? If there is a loophole, it should be exploited. Sometimes loopholes are deliberately not filled to allow exceptions.

If someone things not, they can file a lawsuit. It is none of the sisters' business what others do. They have every right to exploit every loophole, just like everyone else.

bluetrain4 04-26-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 6490189)
Big dilemma for the ITF. The Williams sisters always pull in a ton of people to watch their matches... especially if they were to play doubles. Perhaps, the ITF can give Venus one of the wildcards available. I think Serena has already qualified for the Olympics.

Huber, Raymond, King or McHale should be allowed to play based on their participation and achievements.

Serena did help the USA win last month in the Ukraine. Venus is the biggest issue as her ranking isn't high enough for direct entry and her Fed Cup participation requirement has not been met.

I thought Serena had qualified as well due to meeting the ranking requirement. But, according to the article, a player has to make themselves available for Fed Cup during two different calendar years between Olympics (or something like that). Serena has played this year (2012), but had not played since 2007. So, since the last Olympics was in 2008, Serena has only made herself available during one calendar year between Olympics.

woodrow1029 04-26-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carsomyr (Post 6490192)
This article is awful, whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Quoted for absolute truth!

Bud 04-26-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 6490203)
I thought Serena had qualified as well due to meeting the ranking requirement. But, according to the article, a player has to make themselves available for Fed Cup during two different calendar years between Olympics (or something like that). Serena has played this year (2012), but had not played since 2007. So, since the last Olympics was in 2008, Serena has only made herself available during one calendar year between Olympics.

I hear ya.. however, if you Google it, every news story says Serena has qualified. So, she must have just slipped in since she did make herself 'available' (although it didn't happen) to play Fed Cup within the past few years. The requirements are pretty murky.

DjokovicForTheWin 04-26-2012 02:47 PM

Who cares...

TERRASTAR18 04-26-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicForTheWin (Post 6490290)
Who cares...

for once i agree with you.....

mellowyellow 04-26-2012 06:53 PM

Would like to know when she was "available"? I find it hard to believe she was "available" and did not play. Can you be "available" with an injury?

cknobman 04-27-2012 08:58 AM

Follow the rules or there will be more problems with many other players in the future.

As for "needing" the Williams sisters for attendance I dont think that applies. WTA has been doing fine without them and this is the Olympics there will be tons of people there regardless of the Willimas sisters.

cghipp 05-07-2012 08:25 PM

After what happened to Lisa Raymond with the Sydney Olympics, I am absolutely opposed to any rules being stretched, broken, changed, etc. to allow people onto the team who aren't strictly qualified. I think the girls who have been busting their butts for Fed Cup over the last few years are the ones who deserve to go.

Tcbtennis 05-07-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghipp (Post 6513349)
After what happened to Lisa Raymond with the Sydney Olympics, I am absolutely opposed to any rules being stretched, broken, changed, etc. to allow people onto the team who aren't strictly qualified. I think the girls who have been busting their butts for Fed Cup over the last few years are the ones who deserve to go.

For individual countries the medal count is what is important. The U.S. needs Serena on the team if they have any chance of collecting a medal in tennis. Especially since it is being played on grass, there are no other American women apart from Serena and Venus who have a chance to earn medals. Not even close.

drakulie 05-07-2012 09:00 PM

They should also bend the rules and allow Serena to serve from inside the baseline.

El Diablo 05-08-2012 06:02 AM

"busting their butts for Fed Cup" may be a bit of a stretch. Both Fed Cup and Davis Cup players are paid, and for the lesser players the amount may not be trivial.

THUNDERVOLLEY 05-08-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicForTheWin (Post 6490290)
Who cares...

Apparently you did, since you were troubled enough to post....when you could have skipped the thread. Ah, but you must maintain your troll cred, so here you are.

THUNDERVOLLEY 05-08-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 6513382)
Especially since it is being played on grass, there are no other American women apart from Serena and Venus who have a chance to earn medals. Not even close.

True, but that dose of truth will stop some from dodging the obvious about America's chances.

Tennis_Hands 05-08-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 6513382)
For individual countries the medal count is what is important. The U.S. needs Serena on the team if they have any chance of collecting a medal in tennis. Especially since it is being played on grass, there are no other American women apart from Serena and Venus who have a chance to earn medals. Not even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg