Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Building a tennis court (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=422040)

Brocolt 04-27-2012 12:02 PM

Building a tennis court

In the research phase of building a tennis court. My main question has anyone delt with any of the DIY companys that sell products to surface the court yourself. Any prefrences on types of surfaces like rebound ace or sports master etc. This will be on concrete with a cusion layer.

okaythen 01-03-2013 02:52 AM

hi guys so about how much does it cost to build a hard court? with and without lights.

I am searching for my new house and I am also thinking about maybe building a court with it. So do you need a permit? Noise level distance etc to your neighbors? how big of lot do you need and how much does it cost? also if you have additions to your house like new porch, extra bathroom etc it will add value to your house...but maybe not for tennis court since it's not common? maybe will drop the house's value or people won't even consider buying your house coz it got a court? anyone got experience in this? thanks for your help

max 01-03-2013 05:45 AM

A few years ago I ran into a book specifically on this subject; it would behoove you to have your library dig it up.

I'm involved with local planning/zoning; I would be surprised if there were specific ordinances for tennis courts. The chief concern would be drainage; you may have to keep it a few feet from your neighbor's lot line. It would probably be treated like a patio or driveway. You would likely find an increase in your property insurance cost; people may trip and fall, etc.

With respect to raising the value of your property, I much doubt it. It would actually eliminate a good many prospective buyers, and even tennis players may not wish a large chunk of the lot taken over for this purpose. . . but then, you may be in a part of the country where this concern would not exist.

gavna 01-04-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okaythen (Post 7094486)
hi guys so about how much does it cost to build a hard court? with and without lights.

I am searching for my new house and I am also thinking about maybe building a court with it. So do you need a permit? Noise level distance etc to your neighbors? how big of lot do you need and how much does it cost? also if you have additions to your house like new porch, extra bathroom etc it will add value to your house...but maybe not for tennis court since it's not common? maybe will drop the house's value or people won't even consider buying your house coz it got a court? anyone got experience in this? thanks for your help

It depends really on your location and all the zoning or homeowners assoc you have to deal with...but a price for a single Hard Court built for a residence can run you from $40,000 to $60,000 (its a huge spread depending on so many factors).

I know some folks who have done it cheaper (around $20,000) doing much of the work themselves.....Har Tru can also run a bit less as well (maybe $5,000 per court less).

And just like a pool - NO you will not get the money back in resale........in fact its possible for many buyers a Tennis Court is a negative, A house in our area had a hard court and when it was sold 2 yrs ago the new buyers tore half of it out and built a basketball court on what was left.

Lights are brutal as well - cheap crappy ones are $10,000+ A good set of lights installed can run as high as $30,000.

zapvor 01-08-2013 09:03 PM

i saw one in a backyard recently. it was awesome

paul_tennis 01-10-2013 01:00 PM

Anyone here knows how much approximately would cost a grass court? I'm not planning to build one, just curious... :)

max 01-10-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7106946)
i saw one in a backyard recently. it was awesome

The two best home courts that I saw are in the *******. One is in Hinsdale, Illinois, on the lot of a very large old Victorian house. It really fits in well. The other was in Central Illinois, on a farm property owned by some local nabobs, an old court installed around 1920 or so.

This one I hope to visit this year:
http://globegazette.com/news/local/c...9bb2963f4.html

ricki 01-10-2013 02:11 PM

better make artificial grass or clay

The Meat 01-10-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7096881)
And just like a pool - NO you will not get the money back in resale........in fact its possible for many buyers a Tennis Court is a negative, A house in our area had a hard court and when it was sold 2 yrs ago the new buyers tore half of it out and built a basketball court on what was left.

Agreed with this.

My friend built a tennis court when he moved in and when he was trying to sell it he couldn't find a buyer. Better off buying a membership at some local club or the free and better alternative is to go to a public school and play at their's.