Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   U of Memphis tennis = U of Ireland tennis?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=422059)

PaulC 04-27-2012 04:09 PM

U of Memphis tennis = U of Ireland tennis??

Just watched the Conf USA match Memphis vs Rice. (rerun? men side)

Can't help to notice almost the entire team is made up of Irish or Brits.

Good thing: There are lots of 1HBH players who got beautiful backhands :)

Bad thing: Uh... there goes all the scholarships to the Europeans.

Then again, I guess this trend is all over the entire US anyway.

-- Don't mind seeing more fiery pale creamy skin redheads on the ladies side though, I personally am tired of the Italian-wanna-be-Persian looking Jersy Shore types here :)

Clemson_tennis 04-27-2012 04:42 PM

This post is all kinds of wrong.

First of all dark skinned women are more attractive than pale skined and second are you new to college tennis? This is hardly a new trend. Lots of teams have a pipeline from a certain region of the world.

PaulC 04-27-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6492767)
This post is all kinds of wrong.

First of all dark skinned women are more attractive than pale skined and second are you new to college tennis? This is hardly a new trend. Lots of teams have a pipeline from a certain region of the world.

Sigh... A typical problem in America nowadays, people can only use either of the 2 words "Right" or "Wrong"...

You ever heard of the terms "preferrence" or "quantity supplied"?

When you see those Jersy Shores type all days long in towns like NY or L.A., people like me can just get so tired of it somehow.

Did you take Econ 101 in college?? :)

Then again, speaking of which, I dated both a tanned surfer gal and another pale gal, I must say, the skin texture of the pale gal is much smoother, if you ask me. (body types alone are both slender, so comparable)

-- The tanned gal's like sand-paper and aged rapidly, whereas the pale one seems to stay looking young longer, so I don't know about this "attractive" therory about over-tanned WHITE gals (don't have much experience of other gals though)

Back to the Euro-import thing. True, It's nothing new to have one or two in a Div I team, but 4 or 5?!

For a state college, those may be public money we're talking about here. You really don't feel bad about that at all? :)

Clemson_tennis 04-27-2012 07:04 PM

I didn't say tanned, I said dark skinned. I agree that overly tanned white girls are not as attractive. I was referring to girls who naturally have darker skin a la the Italian/Spanish or others heritage. And no I am not a fan of the 'Jersey Shore type'. Why are you making the assumption that every darker skinned girl is a 'jersey shore' type.?
I've never been a fan of redheads so I guess that is what turned me off about your post. Give me a pale Icelandic girl any day though.

And no I don't feel bad about it. In terms of Memphis, good for them that they can recruit well overseas and geta good team because of it. If Memphis recruited locally they would lose out to Tennessee, Vandy and Ole Miss. Meaning they would be left with the leftovers and end up being pretty poor.

ClarkC 04-27-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulC (Post 6492917)
For a state college, those may be public money we're talking about here. You really don't feel bad about that at all? :)

Hey, there's a new angle! Why hasn't anyone discussed this before?

PaulC 04-27-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6492919)
I didn't say tanned, I said dark skinned. I agree that overly tanned white girls are not as attractive. I was referring to girls who naturally have darker skin a la the Italian/Spanish or others heritage. And no I am not a fan of the 'Jersey Shore type'. Why are you making the assumption that every darker skinned girl is a 'jersey shore' type.?

And no I don't feel bad about it. In terms of Memphis, good for them that they can recruit well overseas and geta good team because of it. If Memphis recruited locally they would lose out to Tennessee, Vandy and Ole Miss. Meaning they would be left with the leftovers and end up being pretty poor.

We're clearly talking about different "types" here - Just to clarify: I am NOT talking about gals who're naturally dark here - just to stop the argument that can lead to racism territory. :)

The reason I use the term "Jersey Shore" is referring to their motto "GTL" (Gym Tan Laundry), they already are not pale per se, but then they'll do the extremes to further tan themselves to a point that they become Charcoal!
-- these are the "type" that I am referring to.

Speaking of which, I do have lots of pals with Italian heritage who are pale and are proud to stay pale - so I'd call them the Counter-Jersey-Shore types :)

Again, I am talking about the way a state college spending tax-payer money. Whether they can recruit successfully against their conf rivals, is a different topic.

Hmm... May be I should write a letter to NCAA to limit the amount of scholarship available to foreigners. :)

Wuppy 04-27-2012 10:01 PM

I'm trying to find any value at all in this thread and I can't :(

PaulC 04-27-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6493080)
I'm trying to find any value at all in this thread and I can't :(

What're you doing in a college tennis thread "finding value" in the first place??

Message board are for b.s. in general anyway :)

Try to find value?? eTrade may be better for you.

I am drafting a letter to NCAA, if there is ever a limit to tennis scholarship allowed for foreign players, the value for red-blooded American college players who otherwise can't get one - will be US$25k+ a year.

Is this value big enough?

If not, I can do college hockey, college hoop etc etc, and you do the math :)

Satsuma Illini 04-27-2012 11:48 PM

I'm sure it has been brought up before, but if it is such a huge problem. we could always set a limit to the number of foreign players on a team. Japanese baseball teams have no limit but allow only 4 foreigners on an active roster. Maybe 2 or 3 to a team for college tennis. But then that probably opens up a whole new can of worms.

floridatennisdude 04-28-2012 03:16 AM

Hey, someone start a thread about how many foreigners there are at state schools.

Someone will insist that its a travesty that tax dollars are funding these semi pros.

Someone else will point out with statistics that there is nearly zero tax dollars going to athletics.

Both will call each other idiots. Then racists.

Then the thread will be deleted by the moderator.

These are always so fun!

ClarkC 04-28-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6493256)
Hey, someone start a thread about how many foreigners there are at state schools.

Someone will insist that its a travesty that tax dollars are funding these semi pros.

Someone else will point out with statistics that there is nearly zero tax dollars going to athletics.

And someone will point out that the NCAA has no legal authority to limit the number of foreigners on a team, which was shown in past discussions. But if some clown wants to write a letter to them, that might be a better use of his time than posting on here, so he should go ahead and do so.

Clemson_tennis 04-28-2012 06:03 AM

I don't get why it bothers people so much. You said that they had nice one handed backhands. So the fact that they are from Ireland lessens your opinion of them? I know a lot of the players that do come over from other countries to the US end up staying in the US and living here because they like it.

PaulC 04-28-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 6493394)
And someone will point out that the NCAA has no legal authority to limit the number of foreigners on a team, which was shown in past discussions. But if some clown wants to write a letter to them, that might be a better use of his time than posting on here, so he should go ahead and do so.

Good point. May be our state senators will be a better place to start, since we're talking about state money here.

But I still find it hard to believe NCAA will have no jurisdication over this. They change their sub-provisions fast all the time if they want to. Why not for this.

PaulC 04-28-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6493434)
I don't get why it bothers people so much. You said that they had nice one handed backhands. So the fact that they are from Ireland lessens your opinion of them? I know a lot of the players that do come over from other countries to the US end up staying in the US and living here because they like it.

You just think in terms of the quality of tennis.

Unfortunately, college sports is also about money. And for a state college, it's about **taxpayer** money, for every scholarship goes to a foreigner, a local player lost one in a sense, got it?

PaulC 04-28-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

These are always so fun!

I will definitely avoid from getting into this. Thanks for the reminder!

PaulC 04-28-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Not exactly sure how Memphis or other state colleges budget their athletic programs, but unless they are funded entirely by alumni donations or match tickets etc - which is unlikely either way, they must be using taxpayer money.

hound 109 04-29-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulC (Post 6493759)
Not exactly sure how Memphis or other state colleges budget their athletic programs, but unless they are funded entirely by alumni donations or match tickets etc - which is unlikely either way, they must be using taxpayer money.

No the tennis alumni built the stadium, pays the coaches salary, pays for travel expenses & pays for the scholarships.

Former non-americans on tennis scholaraships started Sun Records, invented Memphis style BBQ & founded Fed Ex....so you see it's much better to give the scholarship to a 21 y/o Euro freshman (who couldn't hack it in the Euro pros) than to an 18 y/o from Nashville or Memphis.

You really need to get with the program. The tennis stadiums wouldn't be so full & we wouldn't have the lucrative college tennis TV contracts, so we can watch every weekend......without the 22 y/o sophomore non-americans on the court.

Tennishacker 04-29-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

These are always so fun!

Wrong, many state schools support their athletic dept. from their general fund.

10 million from Cal-Berkeley's general fund helped fund their athletic dept. in a single year.

Misterbill 04-29-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulC (Post 6493745)
You just think in terms of the quality of tennis.

Unfortunately, college sports is also about money. And for a state college, it's about **taxpayer** money, for every scholarship goes to a foreigner, a local player lost one in a sense, got it?

Would it be fair to say that according to this logic, state schools should not give athletic scholarships to out-of-staters?

If so, then it seems that state schools in only a few states, such as California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, the Carolinas.....and maybe a very few others......would be able to produce competitive teams.

Hard to contemplate what this would mean for football, basketball, hockey, baseball

bluetrain4 04-29-2012 09:42 AM

I've never really cared much at all about foreign-born athletes playing for U.S. colleges. I still don't. It's fine with me.

But, I was just wondering, when and why did this start? Was there a particular rule that changed. Or was it just that some visionary coach saw this as a solution to be more competitive and other schools started to follow suit? I mean, it's not like it was needed. College tennis seemed to be fine. Even if the overall level was lower, it would have been lower across the board.

What was one of the first "good" (Top 30 maybe) teams to have a roster of at least half foreign athletes?

when was the turning point? I'm 39 and I remember following Big 10 tennis growing up in MN. Back then Michigan was the top team and Minnesota as often second or third. I do not remember seeing as many foreign athletes in the mid or late 80s, even early 90s. But, my memory could be failing me.

Of course there are student athletes who want to study at American universities, so it would never have surprised me that there would always be some. But, when did it become SO pervasive? And, while DI gets all the attention for this trend, isn't it just as pervasive, if not more so, in DII?

And, while we see foreign athletes in many college sports, did the trend ever catch fire in any other sport the way it did in tennis?

Interesting topic.