Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Biggest Pet Peeve in Tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=422609)

SunYiXian 05-02-2012 01:20 PM

Biggest Pet Peeve in Tennis?

Mine would definitely be when my opponent hits a netcord winner and doesn't apologize. I know that 99% of the time, the apology isn't sincere but I just want to see the apology. Tennis is a gentleman's sport after all. Oh and if you celebrate a netcord winner, **** you.

shazbot 05-02-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunYiXian (Post 6503023)
Mine would definitely be when my opponent hits a netcord winner and doesn't apologize. I know that 99% of the time, the apology isn't sincere but I just want to see the apology. Tennis is a gentleman's sport after all. Oh and if you celebrate a netcord winner, **** you.

I hate when people DO apologize for netcord winners. You create your own luck, I don't need you or me apologizing for something lucky. The whole gentleman's sport thing is dumb.

I understand how sports work, all sports, I can take the netcord like a man. I don't you need you apologizing.

jdubbs 05-02-2012 01:31 PM

Why all the faux politeness???

You find yourself deep behind the baseline, chasing down a forehand that just manages to grab onto the last millimeter of the line. You stretch out as far as you can, barely managing to get your racquet on the ball.

You have successfully chased this fuzzy, yellow devil down and have it heading back toward your opponent. While anxiously awaiting your meek, defensive effort on the other side of the net, your shot grazes the net cord, hops about an inch into the air and drops limply on the other side of the net, out of the reach of the enemy.

YOU WIN THE POINT! However, you hold up the head of your racquet and apologize to the piece of garbage standing 78 feet away for the manner in which you managed to one-up your nemesis. WTF?!

You just came damn close to breaking your ankle chasing down a near nonreturnable shot. You not only manage to get it back, but you win the point. YOU WIN THE POINT!!! Why act like such a wimp? Would Mariano Rivera apologize for striking you out on a ball in the dirt? Would Warren Sapp apologize to your sorry rear end for sacking you, but only by holding onto your foot?

You busted your rear for this one. If you tried 1000 times in a row to hit the net cord in order to win a point, it would be unlikely that you'd be able to do it even once. So when the tennis gods are shining upon you, man-up and enjoy just your victory, will ya'?!

spot 05-02-2012 01:32 PM

Without question its when you are captaining a team and someone loses and as an excuse they say that they lost because the opposing team wasn't good enough and how they clearly would have done better if they had played a higher line.

r2473 05-02-2012 01:37 PM

After the match when we retire to the clubhouse and my opponent doesn't bring a proper jacket or drinks his tea with his pinky sticking out.

How gauche.

J_R_B 05-02-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6503063)
After the match when we retire to the clubhouse and my opponent doesn't bring a proper jacket or drinks his tea with his pinky sticking out.

How goash.

Mine is definitely people acting high society without a proper education who can't even spell gauche. It's uncivilised.

r2473 05-02-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_R_B (Post 6503073)
Mine is definitely people acting high society without a proper education who can't even spell gauche. It's uncivilised.

I thought the misspelling would be funny, but changed my mind.

Fortunately my edit time stamp is before your posting time stamp.

r2473 05-02-2012 01:50 PM

.......anyway, I'd say my biggest pet peeve are people that are "casual" about showing up on time. Especially for indoor court time.

penpal 05-02-2012 01:57 PM

An opponent who tells me how poorly they're playing on every changeover ... when they're beating me :mad:

AR15 05-02-2012 01:59 PM

my biggest pet peeve is players (of the same rating, or one rating higher) that think they are too good to play you in a casual match.

Net cords don't bother me. If someone hits with heavy topspin, their netcord winner isn't 100% luck as the spin often helps the ball climb over the net.

gmatheis 05-02-2012 02:06 PM

My pet peeve is people who say things like "I'm pretty sure that was out" or "that was out , wasn't it?"

If you aren't 100% sure ... then it was in !

jk175d 05-02-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 6503103)

Net cords don't bother me. If someone hits with heavy topspin, their netcord winner isn't 100% luck as the spin often helps the ball climb over the net.

I'm not bothered by apologizing or not after a net cord, but it is an annoying way to lose a point. ...however not so unpleasant of a way to win one :)

The thing about net cord winners though, no one is EVER trying to hit the net, so it IS an accidental winner. It's not like you should be feeling like you executed a great shot.

A peeve of mine is people who spit on the court. I played a guy on a hot dry day and picked up a ball wondering why it had a wet spot then I noticed the guy routinely spit on the court back behind the baseline.

jdubbs 05-02-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6503082)
I thought the misspelling would be funny, but changed my mind.

Fortunately my edit time stamp is before your posting time stamp.

My pet peeve is people who brag about their time stamp edits.

jdubbs 05-02-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6503086)
.......anyway, I'd say my biggest pet peeve are people that are "casual" about showing up on time. Especially for indoor court time.

Bingo. You can't be on time just this once? my club charges $40/hour for indoor time and you're gonna stroll in 10 minutes late? Really?

mikeler 05-02-2012 02:41 PM

People who continually call my out balls out.

smarog 05-02-2012 03:22 PM

People that play up in leagues.

cll30 05-02-2012 04:18 PM

I agree with those saying people showing up late. I don't like it even if the court is free. It's very disrespectful. If you're late when you're playing me you better have a d*mn good excuse.

Net cord winners do not bother me. In fact I would hit that shot every time if I could.

JackB1 05-02-2012 04:44 PM

guys that refuse to say the score before each serve

guys that are receiving and say the score without giving me a chance to say it

guys that can't grasp the concept of holding one ball while I'm serving

kylebarendrick 05-02-2012 04:49 PM

The guy that walks two courts over to retrieve a ball while I'm standing on the baseline saying "I've got two...".