Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Something I noticed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423151)

Headshotterer 05-07-2012 05:31 PM

Something I noticed

Why do younger tennis fans(like young kids) support Nadal over Federer more? And why do older fans support Federer more?

OddJack 05-07-2012 05:34 PM

Well, younger kids are into show offs more, you know.

Like they are into sagging shorts, Lifted trucks, wife beater sweaters, pimp hub caps...things like that.

FlashFlare11 05-07-2012 05:38 PM

Well, Federer plays a more "classical" style of tennis (bigger serve, dominant forehand, one-handed backhand, aggressive), which harkens back to the days where faster surfaces were more dominant.

Nadal's style is different and Nadal himself is more radical, with his style of play, clothing, disposition, etc. He's much more relatable to younger fans than older ones.

Having said that, I'm on the younger side of posters here but love Federer's game. Other older fans here take to Nadal more favorably than Federer.

Tcbtennis 05-07-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 (Post 6513021)
Well, Federer plays a more "classical" style of tennis (bigger serve, dominant forehand, one-handed backhand, aggressive), which harkens back to the days where faster surfaces were more dominant.

Nadal's style is different and Nadal himself is more radical, with his style of play, clothing, disposition, etc. He's much more relatable to younger fans than older ones.

Having said that, I'm on the younger side of posters here but love Federer's game. Other older fans here take to Nadal more favorably than Federer.

I agree with your observation. I would also add that the younger ones love Nadal's athleticism and his energy and his "rebel" ways when he first came on the tour (pirate pants, sleeveless shirts, unorthodox forehand). Nadal is always fighting to the end, never giving up. The heart stopping shots he makes when on the dead run, his display of his emotions ("Vamos") and fist pumping excite the younger fans. Federer, on the other hand, plays tennis the way more mature tennis fans wish they could. Federer's effortless movement, picture perfect groundstroke technique, one handed backhand all appeal to an older crowd. The fact that he looks unperturbed on the court all the time is appealing to an older fan. (As an aside, when you watch slow motion film of Federer hitting any shot, his head is still and face is serene. Other players seem to be in snarling or contorting their faces.)

Of course there are no absolutes. There are plenty of older Rafa fans as well as younger Roger fans. A true tennis fan, may root for one over the other, but should respect the talent of both. We are lucky to be able to enjoy these two great talents competing at the same time.

DjokovicForTheWin 05-07-2012 06:10 PM

Kids are stupider

sureshs 05-07-2012 06:10 PM

Because Nadal has a winning H2H over Federer, has won the Career Golden Slam which Federer has not, is the only player who can be called GOAT due to his dominance on a surface, displays raw brutal earthy energy, exudes masculinity, is a Humbalito by nature, speaks in simple terms without sophisticated phrases, works hard for every point, and supports lower ranked players in getting them more money.

svijk 05-07-2012 06:16 PM

its because his physical style and mental approach to the game is easier to teach youngsters.So every coach at a club/ clinic always uses Nadal as an example and kids relate to that and hence like Nadal.
Federer's game is all rare natural talent and cannot be taught/ replicated

FlashFlare11 05-07-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 6513086)
I agree with your observation. I would also add that the younger ones love Nadal's athleticism and his energy and his "rebel" ways when he first came on the tour (pirate pants, sleeveless shirts, unorthodox forehand). Nadal is always fighting to the end, never giving up. The heart stopping shots he makes when on the dead run, his display of his emotions ("Vamos") and fist pumping excite the younger fans. Federer, on the other hand, plays tennis the way more mature tennis fans wish they could. Federer's effortless movement, picture perfect groundstroke technique, one handed backhand all appeal to an older crowd. The fact that he looks unperturbed on the court all the time is appealing to an older fan. (As an aside, when you watch slow motion film of Federer hitting any shot, his head is still and face is serene. Other players seem to be in snarling or contorting their faces.)

Of course there are no absolutes. There are plenty of older Rafa fans as well as younger Roger fans. A true tennis fan, may root for one over the other, but should respect the talent of both. We are lucky to be able to enjoy these two great talents competing at the same time.

Excellent post! I couldn't have possibly said it better myself!

Tcbtennis 05-07-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svijk (Post 6513105)
its because his physical style and mental approach to the game is easier to teach youngsters.So every coach at a club/ clinic always uses Nadal as an example and kids relate to that and hence like Nadal.
Federer's game is all rare natural talent and cannot be taught/ replicated

They teach Nadal's never say die fighting spirit but they teach Federer's groundstrokes.

Sid_Vicious 05-07-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicForTheWin (Post 6513089)
Kids are stupider

Are you turning into Limpinhitter?

sureshs 05-07-2012 06:45 PM

Times are changing. Coaches who used to use Sampras and Fed as examples are now using Nadal and Djokovic. Coaches who can't hit with a 2 handed BH are making ghost strokes trying to convince their students they can teach it. But every time a real ball shows up, they hit a 1 hander.

Mustard 05-07-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headshotterer (Post 6513010)
Why do younger tennis fans(like young kids) support Nadal over Federer more? And why do older fans support Federer more?

Because the older generation tend to be more traditional than the youth, generally speaking, but there are exceptions. Federer is more traditional while Nadal is more of a rebel.

Tammo 05-07-2012 06:56 PM

Because the old are mentally ill...

svijk 05-07-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 6513155)
They teach Nadal's never say die fighting spirit but they teach Federer's groundstrokes.

I am not sure that's true....most kids are taught to hit with a lot of top spin with bigger /lighter racquets and to use 2HBH. Like i said u cant teach anyone Fed's strokes, no coach can do that

The Wreck 05-07-2012 07:19 PM

Hindsight bias. About 8 years ago when Fed burst onto the scene (and I was in my teens) every kid loved Fed (and Roddick, of course). Kid's just love whoever is more popular or most heavily marketed. They don't really think for themselves as often as they believe...

As an aside, my favorite player at the time was Marat Safin. So guess I missed the memo on who was cool.

TheTruth 05-07-2012 07:32 PM

It actually seems the other way around to me. Many of the Federer fans on this board seem to be teenagers or in college. Probably the appeal is based more on character traits and the things we admire about people, moreso than on groundstrokes.

Wuppy 05-07-2012 08:25 PM

Older people have more class than kids.

monfed 05-07-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Kids are stupider

LOL Basically.

/thread

The Bawss 05-08-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Kids are stupider

Nice, at least someone has the balls to say things how they really are.

You have just become my favourite poster.

kimbahpnam 05-08-2012 12:59 AM

Nadal's charisma appeals to younger people.