Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Magic Box is the worst arena in tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423300)

christo 05-08-2012 04:14 PM

The Magic Box is the worst arena in tennis

come on, let's face it, who cares? It's the Tiriac freak show. The air fans make more noise than the real fans (who aren't even there) Blue clay? Why not make it ultraviolet and turn all the lights out? It's basically blue Har Tru which is woeful but should make all Americans rejoice, except that no American players can play on clay, even the the handful left in the top 100

Wuppy 05-08-2012 05:27 PM

I can't really argue with any of that. But let's face it, all ink is good ink and here we are talking about it. So, mission complete.

ollinger 05-08-2012 05:40 PM

Two threads in the same forum complaining about Tiriac? Did he molest you when you were a child?

mary fierce 05-08-2012 05:52 PM

Arthur Ashe Stadium is the worst arena in tennis. Half the seats are absurdly high and far from the court. I'd much sooner watch a match at The Magic Box.

OriginalHockeytowner 05-08-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6515604)
Two threads in the same forum complaining about Tiriac? Did he molest you when you were a child?

Strong accusation!

ollinger 05-08-2012 06:10 PM

A question, not an accusation.

Shaolin 05-08-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 6515449)
come on, let's face it, who cares? It's the Tiriac freak show. The air fans make more noise than the real fans (who aren't even there) Blue clay? Why not make it ultraviolet and turn all the lights out? It's basically blue Har Tru which is woeful but should make all Americans rejoice, except that no American players can play on clay, even the the handful left in the top 100

Give Tiriac a break, he's just trying to do something new, which is something that the sport needs.

Bartelby 05-08-2012 08:16 PM

In the Renaissance, 'billionaires' gave money to great artists to produce things of beauty.

Billionaires like Tiriac aren't worth the paper their money is printed on in terms of creating things that will last.

t135 05-08-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mary fierce (Post 6515628)
Arthur Ashe Stadium is the worst arena in tennis. Half the seats are absurdly high and far from the court. I'd much sooner watch a match at The Magic Box.

Well said.

Mustard 05-08-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin (Post 6515840)
Give Tiriac a break, he's just trying to do something new, which is something that the sport needs.

It is? Like scrapping Hamburg for Shanghai and now blue clay at Madrid? Yeah, brilliant moves :roll:

Oh, and regarding the blue clay, there were strong rumours about it happening at Madrid in 2009, the first year it moved to clay. Nadal strongly criticised it then as well.

Lsmkenpo 05-08-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6515865)
It is? Like scrapping Hamburg for Shanghai and now blue clay at Madrid? Yeah, brilliant moves :roll:

Yes, Shanghai was only voted as the best Masters 1000 tournament the past 3 seasons by the ATP players themselves. :oops:

JamieSafe 05-08-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Why not make it ultraviolet and turn all the lights out
I'd totally play like this if the ball was glow in the dark

ramos77 05-08-2012 09:55 PM

TRON tennis, I like it...

Shaolin 05-08-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6515865)

Oh, and regarding the blue clay, there were strong rumours about it happening at Madrid in 2009, the first year it moved to clay. Nadal strongly criticised it then as well.

I didn't say anything about Hamburg or Shanghai so don't act like I did. I don't feel Hamburg should have been moved, it was a great tournament. I do like the blue clay idea and like seeing some new things happen since everything is the same lately.

Kegzz 05-09-2012 01:28 AM

I thought I'd like the blue courts, but it actually manages to make that awful arena look even colder and more brutal.

Quote:

Despite that, Arthur Ashe has a much better atmosphere, especially during the latter rounds.

TennisMaestro 05-09-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegzz (Post 6516155)
Despite that, Arthur Ashe has a much better atmosphere, especially during the latter rounds.

It has the better atmosphere but the worst design, it stands for everything that is stereotypically American:
Big, Brash, Bold but useless

Kegzz 05-09-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaestro (Post 6516159)
It has the better atmosphere but the worst design, it stands for everything that is stereotypically American:
Big, Brash, Bold but useless

I see where you're coming from. It's definitely not one of my favourite stadiums, but the electricity in the air during some of the matches is insane and when you're watching it on TV that makes a difference. I can see how it can be unfortunate for people up in the nose bleeds though.

TennisMaestro 05-09-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegzz (Post 6516165)
I see where you're coming from. It's definitely not one of my favourite stadiums, but the electricity in the air during some of the matches is insane and when you're watching it on TV that makes a difference. I can see how it can be unfortunate for people up in the nose bleeds though.

I think that it's more of a credit to the people from NY/US than the stadium itself, take that crowd to the Magic Box and it's lid will be blown right out! (see what I did there? :p)

Paul Murphy 05-09-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Beautifully put. Pity Madrid is clay though. A nice, fast hardcourt and it'd be even better.

El Diablo 05-09-2012 08:27 AM

Ashe has great atmosphere?? It doesn't even have the best atmosphere on the property. The Grandstand and Armstrong courts at the USO have far more exciting atmosphere, with the crowd up close and everyone feeling right on top of the mayhem.