Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tiriac wants fluorescent tennis balls... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423400)

norbac 05-09-2012 10:25 AM

Tiriac wants fluorescent tennis balls...

Next for Madrid? Fluorescent balls, says Tiriac

Madrid tournament owner Ion Tiriac tells DPA that despite the controversy over his selection of blue clay for the event, he is already working on another innovation: Phosphorescent green or orange balls. "We will improve the ball well," he said. "We think it fluorescent green or fluorescent orange, which grabs more light and works best in contrast with the blue clay."

Tiriac added that he has yet to consult the ATP about the new balls. He did admit that the new surface is too slippery and needs to be fixed, but added that, "two weeks ago in Monte Carlo [on red clay] three players broke their legs. Today, after five days of the tournament, I am more convinced than ever that the blue clay is a great step forward."

The Romanian does not believe there is danger that ATP will force the tournament to return to red clay next year.

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...7579&zoneid=25

jones101 05-09-2012 10:27 AM

Nadal is gonna go APE!

But as long as its just this tournament, I dont really mind, though the visibility is great already on this blue clay, so I dont think its necessary now.

Im glad he agrees the court is slippy and that he sounds comitted to addressing this next year.

Cup8489 05-09-2012 10:30 AM

fluorescent green isn't a bad idea, it's not a huge change from the current ones.

jones101 05-09-2012 10:31 AM

Nadal Stans will be flooding this thread in 5, 4, 3, 2 ......

Boricua 05-09-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 6517136)
Next for Madrid? Fluorescent balls, says Tiriac

Madrid tournament owner Ion Tiriac tells DPA that despite the controversy over his selection of blue clay for the event, he is already working on another innovation: Phosphorescent green or orange balls. "We will improve the ball well," he said. "We think it fluorescent green or fluorescent orange, which grabs more light and works best in contrast with the blue clay."

Tiriac added that he has yet to consult the ATP about the new balls. He did admit that the new surface is too slippery and needs to be fixed, but added that, "two weeks ago in Monte Carlo [on red clay] three players broke their legs. Today, after five days of the tournament, I am more convinced than ever that the blue clay is a great step forward."

The Romanian does not believe there is danger that ATP will force the tournament to return to red clay next year.

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...7579&zoneid=25

What about the outfits of the players, only neon colors allowed?:)

Hood_Man 05-09-2012 10:42 AM

I think they should use fireballs that change colour depending on what kind of shot a player hits.

Say... yellow fire for a flat shot, red fire for top spin, and blue/green for a slice.

Also stick golden rings over the net that the players have to hit their shots through to get extra points.

OH! And at the end of a tournament, the winner gets to take on Bowser.

kishnabe 05-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6517180)
I think they should use fireballs that change colour depending on what kind of shot a player hits.

Say... yellow fire for a flat shot, red fire for top spin, and blue/green for a slice.

Also stick golden rings over the net that the players have to hit their shots through to get extra points.

OH! And at the end of a tournament, the winner gets to take on Bowser.

This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog or Mario Tennis.

HellBunni 05-09-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 6517148)
fluorescent green isn't a bad idea, it's not a huge change from the current ones.

except the environment would take a hit
and now you can't just throw out the old tennis balls

Hood_Man 05-09-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 6517297)
This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog or Mario Tennis.

D'oh, I forgot the power shots!

r2473 05-09-2012 11:50 AM

Cool. Just like hockey a few years ago.

Makes sense. Bowling alley's do it. Skating rinks too. Why not tennis?

djokovicgonzalez2010 05-09-2012 01:16 PM

That's not a bad idea...orange on blue will be very visible. The color was also a good idea, Madrid courts have always suck, they just seem even more slick this year

bluetrain4 05-09-2012 01:23 PM

I still think that the color blue isn't THAT big of a deal IF they can get the court to play as other clay courts do, which I'm sure is possible. Granted, if so many players are against it, why upset them?

And, it's really on their shoulders to do something about it, either by speaking up (which they have), or not showing up.

wrxinsc 05-09-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6517180)
Bowser.

Bowser. . .

sports4eva115 05-09-2012 01:52 PM

I definitely dont support this on the pro tour (yet I guess) but I do wonder at if fluorecent tennis balls. Never found any in any store, but the idea intruiges me. I played fire tennis before and it was quite fun, except I dun want to scorch up the courts and my strings lol
nevertheless, fluorescent balls are fine, just not on the pro tour, especially on clay

Towser83 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

we need balls covered in flashing LEDs

Cesc Fabregas 05-09-2012 02:11 PM

It's a crap idea that has nothing to do with tennis and everything to do with marketing.

DjokovicForTheWin 05-09-2012 02:14 PM

Have to say, the blue does make viewing a lot easier, especially on crappy streams.

Netzroller 05-09-2012 02:17 PM

Haha, actually the same idea has crossed my mind before. I think a glowing ball would be awesome:D

But you could go even further and make TRON style tennis, just have flourescent racktes and lines and outfits as well and maybe a black court :lol:

forthegame 05-09-2012 02:19 PM

Not sure if visibility is any better on the current courts. Not noticed any difference personally...

Towser83 05-09-2012 02:22 PM

let's use the metal balls from phantasm... that would up viewing figures