Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   One More Reason Not To Throw A Tantrum (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423433)

Cindysphinx 05-09-2012 03:05 PM

One More Reason Not To Throw A Tantrum
 
My 4.0 team played last night. I wasn't there. But I know what you're thinking: "Cindy, was there any drama?" You betcha! :)

One of my doubles teams had won the first set. They managed to break at 4-4 and were getting ready to serve out the match.

The reason for the break was that one opponent -- let's call her Natasha -- hit a shot well long. Disgusted with herself, Natasha boiled over in rage, picked up a ball and sent it whizzing over to the other side as hard as she possibly good.

Unfortunately, Natasha hadn't realized her partner was right next to her. Her racket nailed her partner directly in the face.

I am told the wailing from Natasha's partner was so loud and so long that every person in the bubble and the two staffers dropped everything to attend to her or gawk. Eventually, ice was administered to a huge bruise over the lady's eye and a retirement was declared. Natasha's partner drove herself home, with one of my players following her to make sure she didn't veer off the road.

The moral of the story: If you're going to behave like a toddler, check your surroundings carefully first.

sureshs 05-09-2012 05:20 PM

Natasha is nuts

Maui19 05-09-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6518409)
Natasha is nuts

If only her partner had stretched before the match...

OriginalHockeytowner 05-09-2012 05:25 PM

SA, situational awareness, a little goes a long way!

Tammo 05-09-2012 06:06 PM

Does the name Natasha really have to be used.

JLyon 05-09-2012 06:58 PM

Hopefully this player gets suspended for this act, just plain stupid.

jaybear1909 05-09-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 6518420)
If only her partner had stretched before the match...

Epic post

I clicked like

corbind 05-09-2012 11:59 PM

When it comes Nat's way, Karma is gonna be a B....

spaceman_spiff 05-10-2012 12:40 AM

I have a lot of sympathy for Natasha's partner. My brother caught me just above the eye with the follow-through on an overhead once (low lob that both of us went for initially; I hit the deck at the last second, trying to get out of the way).

Even though the bottom of the follow-through on an overhead is reasonably slow, it still left a lump. I can only imagine the lump Natasha's partner got.

Kurte954 05-10-2012 06:01 AM

I think she'll be playing singles from now on...

zcarzach 05-10-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurte954 (Post 6519258)
I think she'll be playing singles from now on...

I think she should be riding the bench for a while first. That kind of behavior is unacceptable.

sureshs 05-10-2012 06:38 AM

I am still having trouble visualizing this. How can Nuts hit someone on the face with a racket without facing her? You mean to say the victim was looking at Nuts while standing within striking distance, Nuts did not notice it and swung the frame into her face thinking that part of space was empty.

It does not add up.

Sentinel 05-10-2012 06:46 AM

Wow! We live in exciting times.

J_R_B 05-10-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6519390)
I am still having trouble visualizing this. How can Nuts hit someone on the face with a racket without facing her? You mean to say the victim was looking at Nuts while standing within striking distance, Nuts did not notice it and swung the frame into her face thinking that part of space was empty.

It does not add up.

You'd be surprised at what Murphy's Law can produce sometimes. My brother and I were palying golf in college once at about a beer per hole pace. On about the 6th or 7th hole, I was standing exactly at the level of the tee as he was teeing off, and he hit it directly 90* sideways and hit me square in the side of the face. I remember thinking right before he teed off that I should take a step back, but then I looked and saw that I wasn't actually in front of the tee so there is no way he could possibly hit me. I was really lucky he didn't hit my orbital bone or break my cheekbone, but as it was, he just left a huge welt that became a talking point at the party at his frat later that night. I didn't actually feel any pain until the next day.

sureshs 05-10-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_R_B (Post 6519616)
You'd be surprised at what Murphy's Law can produce sometimes. My brother and I were palying golf in college once at about a beer per hole pace. On about the 6th or 7th hole, I was standing exactly at the level of the tee as he was teeing off, and he hit it directly 90* sideways and hit me square in the side of the face. I remember thinking right before he teed off that I should take a step back, but then I looked and saw that I wasn't actually in front of the tee so there is no way he could possibly hit me. I was really lucky he didn't hit my orbital bone or break my cheekbone, but as it was, he just left a huge welt that became a talking point at the party at his frat later that night. I didn't actually feel any pain until the next day.

That is a strange coincidence, but still in the category of low probability mishits.

In this case, someone swung the racket into the face of someone looking back at them and standing close. At least if the ball was aimed somewhere else and hit the face, I can understand - it would be like your example. Here the ball went correctly towards the opponents without hitting her, yet the racket got her.

I think it must be on the follow thru and the lady was on one side of Nuts. That is the only explanation.

r2473 05-10-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6519866)
I think it must be on the follow thru and the lady was on one side of Nuts.

If you are going to position yourself on the side of Nuts, you really need to stay alert or you could suddenly get a surprise in your face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6519423)
Wow! We live in exciting times.

Indeed!

OrangePower 05-10-2012 09:02 AM

^^^^^^ To those wondering how this could have happened, just read the OP. This was not during the course of a point, this was after the point, when Nuts picked up a ball and teed off on it in a rage. Perhaps her partner was approaching her to say something after the point, or whatever; often dubs partners get together between points. So her partner was close by, Nads was not paying attention, and... smack!

sureshs 05-10-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6520083)
^^^^^^ To those wondering how this could have happened, just read the OP. This was not during the course of a point, this was after the point, when Nuts picked up a ball and teed off on it in a rage. Perhaps her partner was approaching her to say something after the point, or whatever; often dubs partners get together between points. So her partner was close by, Nads was not paying attention, and... smack!

That it was after the point is what makes it even stranger.

OrangePower 05-10-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6520102)
That it was after the point is what makes it even stranger.

Maybe Cindy did not get the whole truth... maybe it was deliberate! Think of the dramatic possibilities :-)

Let's all be honest here - have you never, not even once, felt like decking your dubs partner?!?

li0scc0 05-10-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6518174)
My 4.0 team played last night. I wasn't there. But I know what you're thinking: "Cindy, was there any drama?" You betcha! :)

One of my doubles teams had won the first set. They managed to break at 4-4 and were getting ready to serve out the match.

The reason for the break was that one opponent -- let's call her Natasha -- hit a shot well long. Disgusted with herself, Natasha boiled over in rage, picked up a ball and sent it whizzing over to the other side as hard as she possibly good.

Unfortunately, Natasha hadn't realized her partner was right next to her. Her racket nailed her partner directly in the face.

I am told the wailing from Natasha's partner was so loud and so long that every person in the bubble and the two staffers dropped everything to attend to her or gawk. Eventually, ice was administered to a huge bruise over the lady's eye and a retirement was declared. Natasha's partner drove herself home, with one of my players following her to make sure she didn't veer off the road.

The moral of the story: If you're going to behave like a toddler, check your surroundings carefully first.

Happened to me a couple weeks ago!
In mixed doubles. My return of serve went to the net player. This opponent popped the ball up. I was at the baseline (as I had just returned serve), and came sprinting in as it looked as if the ball might make it over the net.
The ball hit the tape and popped back on their side. The opponent (the woman who was at the net) swung as hard as she could at the ball crushing it. Unfortunately, I was just a couple feet away on the other side of the net, having sprinted in to get the ball that I thought might drop on our side.
Ball hit me right above the eye. Gorgeous shiner.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse