Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wilson Shockshield Grip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423443)

sureshs 05-09-2012 05:19 PM

Wilson Shockshield Grip

Thinking of replacing my leather grip with it. They weigh the same, so that is good. I am concerned about the grip size effectively increasing compared to the leather due to the thickness of the Shockshield grip (as it contains gel).

Any comments?

lvuong 05-09-2012 06:00 PM

Yes it is quite thick and soft. Do you want to put an overgrip on it ? if yes bevel then become difficult to find.

tinyman 05-09-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6518407)
Thinking of replacing my leather grip with it. They weigh the same, so that is good. I am concerned about the grip size effectively increasing compared to the leather due to the thickness of the Shockshield grip (as it contains gel).

Any comments?

It does feel larger in my hand - however realize that the gel 'shield' is actually pretty thin in this grip, so it doesn't build as much as you might expect. The bevel definition is not as nice as when I was using leather (seriously, what is?), but I can easily feel my way around the handle of my Head Prestige pallets. Better than other 'cushioned' grips I've used.

Pull the grip tight, and you'll retain the bevels quite well in my experience. Poor definition? Poor installation. I've used the shock shields on my Prestige's and Bio200's having come from Head Tour Leather on Prince, with no real adjustment period (I like the odd Head grip shape, which helps).

I could not tell you the effective difference in grip size, I just don't have the ability to gauge that. It did not cause me to be uncomfortable with a shock shield + Supergrap. So, for what it's worth, when I switched from leather + overgrap to shock shield + overgrap, I didn't have any problems - but it really cushioned me on my Bio200's.

ChicagoJack 05-09-2012 08:26 PM

Hi suresh -

I say go for it. I've switched from leather to the shock shield, and I'm loving it. Don't rule out playing without an overgrip if you are concerned about size/bevels. The tack is good enough to play without an OG. And yes, it is hefty. 25 grams untrimmed. I've tried the Head Hydrosorb, and the Wilson Cushion Air as well. It's hard to describe to edge bevel feel among those three, but I would say that the Shockshield is a hair thicker than the hydrosorb, but the way the edges bevel, if you wrap it with just a hair of overlap, you can get a very uniform and firm feel. the Hybrosorb might actually be the softest, cushion air is the thinnest but has a rubbery, spongy feel.

J

sureshs 05-10-2012 06:32 AM

I always use OG. Maybe I should use a thin one like TG?

Fuji 05-10-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6519355)
I always use OG. Maybe I should use a thin one like TG?

Hey sureshs!

I use them on pretty well every stick I use consistently. They are very comfy and I don't find the bevel loss. I use Wilson Pro OG and it compliments it nicely. TG gets a little too slick for me lately so I can't comment on it. :)

Make sure to overlap correctly and then it's perfect!

-Fuji

sureshs 05-10-2012 06:04 PM

Thanks. I may get one this weekend

Fuji 05-10-2012 06:26 PM

You're welcome! :)

-Fuji

ike 05-11-2012 07:10 AM

I like it but I think I prefer the Hybrid Comfort better. The shock shield is firmer and the gel pad in it may actually absorb some shock but to my hands the cushion feel of the Comfort one is better. I always use tourna grip over them so I don't know how their material feels during play.

sureshs 05-12-2012 01:58 PM

Got it gripped. Will play with it tomorrow morning.

sureshs 05-13-2012 12:26 PM

Felt wonderful. No shock at all.

I am going to change the grip on my other frame too next week.

mikeler 05-14-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6530840)

So it was a big difference between your previous replacement grips?

sureshs 05-14-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6532477)
So it was a big difference between your previous replacement grips?

My previous grip was leather. This weighed the same (other syn grips are lighter than leather) so it did not change the balance. But the comfort is tremendous.

mikeler 05-15-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6533619)
My previous grip was leather. This weighed the same (other syn grips are lighter than leather) so it did not change the balance. But the comfort is tremendous.

OK thanks, I may have to try it.

lvuong 05-15-2012 05:15 AM

I played with the shock shield without an overgrip since my hand never sweet a single drop even in summer.
It feels good. soft comfortable and better yet the bevel are well defined. it will look like a round grip if you put an overgrip on it.

maxpotapov 05-15-2012 05:23 AM

I'm using it as a standard with overgrip. The only thing that bothers me is that odd smell when freshly installed. Will try similar product from Dunlop

Nostradamus 09-15-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6530840)

Suresh, did you have issues with this gel grip becoming smaller after you used them for a while ?

Fuji 09-15-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6901735)
Suresh, did you have issues with this gel grip becoming smaller after you used them for a while ?

I've used them for almost a year, It compresses slightly but not really "smaller" since SS is a bit bigger to start with.

-Fuji

Nostradamus 10-07-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 6901757)
I've used them for almost a year, It compresses slightly but not really "smaller" since SS is a bit bigger to start with.

-Fuji

What does not really smaller mean ? Annoying thing with Gamma Pro RX is that it continues to shrink smaller and smaller over like 4-6 week period time. and it can be really annoying due to this continuously changing grip size over such a long period of time.

Does shock shield stay same size once it compressed down ? and how long does it take ?

Fuji 10-07-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6941556)
What does not really smaller mean ? Annoying thing with Gamma Pro RX is that it continues to shrink smaller and smaller over like 4-6 week period time. and it can be really annoying due to this continuously changing grip size over such a long period of time.

Does shock shield stay same size once it compressed down ? and how long does it take ?

Well from my experience, SS seems to raise the grip size by about a quarter, if that. It does compress down eventually to the proper grip size I find though. Obviously it's not going to be as compressed as leather, but it does settle in for the long haul once it does fully compress.

So in short, yes it does stay the same size (for me at least) and it takes about a week of hitting for me, which is usually around 10ish hours.

-Fuji