Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Appealing a league suspension (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423549)

tennis_tater 05-10-2012 02:05 PM

Appealing a league suspension
 
After playing league for a number of years, I've seen my fair share of players get DQ'd through the grievance process, get a multi-season suspension from league play by sectionals, only to almost always have the suspension period reduced significantly following an appeal.

Just curious if this is pretty much the case nationwide. For those who have had to deal with the grievance issues and appeals, is nationals more lenient when it comes to hearing appeals and reducing the time imposed suspensions by the states or sectionals?

Also, I haven't seen any specific regulations or provision in the rules that say if the player or captain is caught violating "X" regulation, your penalty will always be "Y" time. Just curious if there is something out there that guides the local districts/sectionals when imposing their suspensions...or is the time for the suspension simply within their discretion?

PowerPlay 05-10-2012 07:01 PM

I have never known someone who was suspended...how does something like that happen?

floridatennisdude 05-11-2012 02:41 AM

I don't know what you consider a fair share, but I have known zero people who were suspended from playing league tennis. Never even heard of it being a possibility.

The only thing I have heard of along these lines is a captain being told they can't captain for a year if their team defaults too much. Can't imagine that person appealing and wanting to actually captain again.

OrangePower 05-11-2012 08:43 AM

I've only heard of one suspension; it happened a few years ago after an active D1 player self-rated as a 4.0, using an alias. This was presumably with the encouragement of the captain; they were both suspended. Don't recall how long the suspension was by IMO it should be for life and there should be no allowance for an appeal!

EDIT: Technically I guess that's two suspensions :-)

storypeddler 05-11-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 6521260)
After playing league for a number of years, I've seen my fair share of players get DQ'd through the grievance process, get a multi-season suspension from league play by sectionals, only to almost always have the suspension period reduced significantly following an appeal.

Just curious if this is pretty much the case nationwide. For those who have had to deal with the grievance issues and appeals, is nationals more lenient when it comes to hearing appeals and reducing the time imposed suspensions by the states or sectionals?

Also, I haven't seen any specific regulations or provision in the rules that say if the player or captain is caught violating "X" regulation, your penalty will always be "Y" time. Just curious if there is something out there that guides the local districts/sectionals when imposing their suspensions...or is the time for the suspension simply within their discretion?

If there was intentional deception and cheating involved in getting the lower rating which brought about the DQ, I guess a suspension could happen. In my experience, a DQ always simply means the player is immediately bumped up to the next NTRP level.

goober 05-11-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6523534)
I've only heard of one suspension; it happened a few years ago after an active D1 player self-rated as a 4.0, using an alias. This was presumably with the encouragement of the captain; they were both suspended. Don't recall how long the suspension was by IMO it should be for life and there should be no allowance for an appeal!

EDIT: Technically I guess that's two suspensions :-)

Here's the current USTA Norcal Suspended players list. Almost 30 players - not sure why tournament suspensions- maybe juniors?

http://www.norcal.usta.com/TDs-Offic...ended_Players/

floridatennisdude 05-12-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 6525752)
Here's the current USTA Norcal Suspended players list. Almost 30 players - not sure why tournament suspensions- maybe juniors?

http://www.norcal.usta.com/TDs-Offic...ended_Players/

Umm, that is a tournament suspension list. I would bet that it is predominantly juniors, but I have no clue.

The thread title implied there were league suspensions that OP was interested in.

Angle Queen 05-12-2012 05:21 AM

^^

Alright then. Here's the Florida list of sanctions from league play. I believe all Sections should make their lists public.

But the point to made is, that there are very few suspensions -- either because the vast of majority of play is made in good faith or USTA is lax on enforcement. I happen to think it's a bit of both, actually.

goober 05-12-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6526057)
Umm, that is a tournament suspension list. I would bet that it is predominantly juniors, but I have no clue.

The thread title implied there were league suspensions that OP was interested in.

Umm I know it is a tournament suspension list as I stated so....

I was quoting Orange Power to make it obvious I was responding to him not the OP. He said he never heard of a suspension.

There are adults in that list. For example the guy on the top of the list plays 4.5 leagues and has won some rounds in 5.0 tournaments in prior years.

floridatennisdude 05-12-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6523534)
I've only heard of one suspension; it happened a few years ago after an active D1 player self-rated as a 4.0, using an alias. This was presumably with the encouragement of the captain; they were both suspended. Don't recall how long the suspension was by IMO it should be for life and there should be no allowance for an appeal!

EDIT: Technically I guess that's two suspensions :-)

Orange, I assume you are talking league since you mention a captain?

Just trying to figure out goober and his tournament list.

Angle Queen, thanks for posting. I guess that what I was able to search on most of those names on the FL list, they either lied or conspired to lie during self rating themselves. I am happy that those folks get suspended indefinitely. Surprised that the USTA does it...would think they'd just DQ/forfeit and bump them to the appropriate level. But, I guess that one way to deal with a liar is to just kick me out. Surprised the USTA has the cajones to do that.

OrangePower 05-12-2012 04:57 PM

^^^^
Yeah, I was talking league; I don't doubt there are suspensions but the one (two) I mentioned are the only ones that I had any personal knowledge of. I think what made it especially bad is that the player registered using an alias so clearly he was trying to cheat the system rather than it being an honest misunderstanding of self-rating criteria. And apparently the captain was aware as well - this was not the first ringer he had recuited.

EDIT: Somewhere in the USTA rules it says players can be requested to show their ID - presumably, to combat this exact situation where someone signs up using an alias, or perhaps also to prevent someone "filling in" for someone else. But seriously, can you imagine actually asking someone to present ID at a tennis match?!?

floridatennisdude 05-12-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6528005)
^^^^
Yeah, I was talking league; I don't doubt there are suspensions but the one (two) I mentioned are the only ones that I had any personal knowledge of. I think what made it especially bad is that the player registered using an alias so clearly he was trying to cheat the system rather than it being an honest misunderstanding of self-rating criteria. And apparently the captain was aware as well - this was not the first ringer he had recuited.

EDIT: Somewhere in the USTA rules it says players can be requested to show their ID - presumably, to combat this exact situation where someone signs up using an alias, or perhaps also to prevent someone "filling in" for someone else. But seriously, can you imagine actually asking someone to present ID at a tennis match?!?

We had to check in at states as a team when I went. Photo ID required. Thought it was goofy, but now I realize why. Floridatennisdude could have self rated as dudefloridatwnnis and played if they didnt check.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse