Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's your Frame of Mind on Match Point?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423695)

Loose Cannon 05-11-2012 11:15 AM

What's your Frame of Mind on Match Point??
 
3rd set of a Tight Match........

For?


Against?


Are you just trying to get the serve/return in.....and play a solid point, letting the chips fall where they may?

Are you in defensive mode.....promising yourself.....you are NOT going to rush or do anything stupid, ie going for a highlight reel winner on MP......hoping your opponent is nervous and hands you the match?

Or do you have that 'Get it while you Can' Mentality......Load up on the serve or return, then plan on ripping a huge shot for the Win......fully aware that the Match Point you are sitting on....may never come back again,,,,,,

mikeler 05-11-2012 11:45 AM

For = Win the next point.

Against = Don't lose the next point.

Focus on what has worked for you to this point and do that. Also make sure to keep your feet moving and watch the ball.

LeeD 05-11-2012 12:24 PM

Play an 85% aggressive stroke, one that will go in, force some action on the opponent, and enable me to get to his return at worst.
Serving, a hard fast spin serve, to opponent's weaker side.
Returning, any return to opponent's backhand, hopefully deeper than NML, but don't take a chance on a long ball here.....

Mauvaise 05-11-2012 12:31 PM

I'm only a 3.0 player so my strategy (such that it is) is probably different from others:

Against - Be calm, get the first serve in or get that return back no matter what, then play very "back to basics" tennis hitting fairly safe shots deep & up the middle until such time as my opponent(s) make the mistake or I get The Shot that I can safely and cleanly put away.

For - Much the same as above, except I try to trick myself into pretending it's match point against so I don't get cocky or stupid or relax too much.

Staidhup 05-11-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 6524000)
3rd set of a Tight Match........

For?


Against?


Are you just trying to get the serve/return in.....and play a solid point, letting the chips fall where they may?

Are you in defensive mode.....promising yourself.....you are NOT going to rush or do anything stupid, ie going for a highlight reel winner on MP......hoping your opponent is nervous and hands you the match?

Or do you have that 'Get it while you Can' Mentality......Load up on the serve or return, then plan on ripping a huge shot for the Win......fully aware that the Match Point you are sitting on....may never come back again,,,,,,

Never change a winning strategy that put you into a third set. If you lost the second set, then that's an issue you need to address. Evaluate what changes you or your opponent made that tipped the scale. Highlight shots, amping up to serve aces, and low percentage shots are a liability, building points is an asset. It's tough to change momentum, requires immense focus and concentration. I love playing players that are stubborn, never make adjustments, go for the glory, and crush every shot, I feed off their pace.

Cindysphinx 05-11-2012 01:02 PM

My opponent will have to beat me. I will not make a dumb error and hand him the point.

I will focus on two things: watching the ball from the instant it leaves the opponent's racket to the instant it reaches mine, and moving my feet to get every ball right into my strike zone.

If I am serving, I will almost certainly hit two serves of about 75% of my best. No cupcakes, and no cannons.

polytheist 05-11-2012 01:59 PM

I like to take advantage of the confident and relaxed situation to go for a 90% shot. Way more fun.

LuckyR 05-11-2012 02:15 PM

Great question. You stipulate that it is a tight match. OK. it depends if I am expecting to win, but am playing poorly, or if I was not supposed to win and am playing over my head.

In the first case I would play just >50% between consistancy and aggressiveness.

In the second I would play closer to 75% of the way.

DANMAN 05-11-2012 02:33 PM

I play it like any other point. Don't play any more offensive and don't play any more defensive. I have faith in my game and will continue to play it.

Loose Cannon 05-11-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6524731)
Great question. You stipulate that it is a tight match. OK. it depends if I am expecting to win, but am playing poorly, or if I was not supposed to win and am playing over my head.

In the first case I would play just >50% between consistancy and aggressiveness.

In the second I would play closer to 75% of the way.

No way do I play it like any other point........I rarely lost a USTA or Tournament match where I had a MATCH point......but when it did, IT STINGS! I lost a Doubles Tourney Final, when I was recieving 2nd Serve @ 30-40....Match Point.... Rest assured, I didnt win the match off a great shot.....and end up losing the Final. Will Never forget that......

So, now I will always to try HARD to close it out.....because you dont want to be at home shaking your head for being to safe....and having blown it.


I always play with the idea of doing something completely off the wall.....moon ball, out of no where droppie....anything to STEAL the W.

LuckyR 05-11-2012 02:57 PM

I guess I look at it differently. If doing X got me to Match Point, then I figure why try Y or Z at that point? If Y and Z were so great, I should have been playing that way the whole time.

I don't dispute that you have had great success against your competition changing it up on match point, as you imply, but I don't think that is going to work against my competition.

Loose Cannon 05-11-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6524854)
I guess I look at it differently. If doing X got me to Match Point, then I figure why try Y or Z at that point? If Y and Z were so great, I should have been playing that way the whole time.

I don't dispute that you have had great success against your competition changing it up on match point, as you imply, but I don't think that is going to work against my competition.

Element of surprise would be a great idea against 'your competition'........

I dont do that regularly, very rare.....thats why I said....i play with the idea......guess I should have said 'toy with the idea' instead......

I will do it if there are games that have about 6-10 Dueces......whats the sense of keeping trying to be basic if you keep going back to duece???? Esp. in dubs with a bunch of Dueces....I will always call up some different formation, call,,,, ANYTHING to throw off the rythym....alot of players do it

Herdsman76 05-11-2012 03:44 PM

For: I get to have a cold beer!

Against: I get to have a cold beer!

Before you think I'm making light of this thread, the moral of the story is I play every point the same way. I play to win so I don't change anything. I also know I'm definitely not a tennis pro so win or lose it doesn't really matter right?

H76

dcdoorknob 05-11-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANMAN (Post 6524776)
I play it like any other point. Don't play any more offensive and don't play any more defensive. I have faith in my game and will continue to play it.

Agree with this. Making a conscious decision to now suddenly play differently because you are up match point doesn't really make much sense. I usually am thinking pretty similar things to what I was thinking before the previous points. The specifics depend on how the match has played out.

floridatennisdude 05-11-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANMAN (Post 6524776)
I play it like any other point. Don't play any more offensive and don't play any more defensive. I have faith in my game and will continue to play it.

I feel like when I do this, I am successful. It's one of the best feelings to win the point and matter of factly realize that you've just won the match. It implies you weren't sweating the situation.

Fuji 05-11-2012 07:29 PM

For: Get my serve in.

Against: Get the serve back.

That's pretty much it LOL! :)

-Fuji

jaybear1909 05-11-2012 07:55 PM

For: Make a good first serve, or good return. Not too much pressure because I'll still have chances.

Against: Get it over the net and I'll think about my shot choice more.

anantak2k 05-11-2012 08:08 PM

Controlled aggression in both situations. Works more often than not.

kimbahpnam 05-11-2012 08:18 PM

I'm thinking "ace out wide"

NothingButNet 05-12-2012 03:36 AM

There's no way I deserve this.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse