Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   People who call "No!" instead of "Out!" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423747)

Wuppy 05-11-2012 05:00 PM

People who call "No!" instead of "Out!"

Am I alone in not being able to stand people who yell "No" instead of "Out?" Every single person I've played with or seen playing who did this was an egomaniac. :( I saw some guy doing it today and it was obnoxious.

Discuss.

DANMAN 05-11-2012 05:03 PM

I do it and am an obnoxious egomaniac. Your sweeping generalization holds true

JW10S 05-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6525099)
Am I alone in not being able to stand people who yell "No" instead of "Out?" Every single person I've played with or seen playing who did this was an egomaniac. :( I saw some guy doing it today and it was obnoxious.

Discuss.

Is it really that easy to get under your skin? Boy, would I have a field day with you. And yes, you are alone...

Wuppy 05-11-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANMAN (Post 6525110)
I do it and am an obnoxious egomaniac. Your sweeping generalization holds true

Then the question becomes: WHY do you call "no" instead of "out?"

(And don't say "to annoy people like you" ;) )

Wuppy 05-11-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 6525117)
Is it really that easy to get under your skin? Boy, would I have a field day with you. And yes, you are alone...

Oh you have no idea. There are so many things that people do which annoy me that it's a challenge getting through the day.

But you wouldn't have a field day with me because I no longer play people who say "no" instead of "out." I was recently playing with a chick who was calling "wide" and "long" and she was getting them mixed up so she'd go "long! I mean wide!" I had to tell her just to call "out" or I was leaving. It was silly. :shock:

JW10S 05-11-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6525134)
Oh you have no idea. There are so many things that people do which annoy me that it's a challenge getting through the day.

I could tell that from your post--you saw someone saying 'no' earlier in the day and it bothered you so much that later in the day you were still so rattled you had to sit down at your keyboard and write about it. You will probably be thinking about it when you go to bed tonight. Without even trying I would have you pulling your hair out by the 2nd game. Your issues have issues. Some people have real problems--but you are bothered by people who say 'no'. Wow.

KoaUka 05-11-2012 05:27 PM

How about people who say "sorry" instead of "no" or "out"?
But really, try not to sweat the small stuff, life's too short.

Nice looking avatar btw

Maui19 05-11-2012 06:03 PM

No          

Sim 05-11-2012 06:17 PM

A lot of the people I've seen play say "No!", and I do it as well.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

I actually think "Out!" is more obnoxious when they try to get under your skin and yell it really loudly...

dParis 05-11-2012 06:19 PM

I don't say "out", nor "wide", or "no". When I see a shot go out (or close enough to the line to give myself the benefit of the doubt), I just shout, "BONK!".

wrxinsc 05-11-2012 06:20 PM

I yell Wuppy.

floridatennisdude 05-11-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Discuss.

No and out both imply a negative result to the opponent so I can't see there being a discrepancy. I tend to say "no" more often than "out".

anantak2k 05-11-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Discuss.

I say no about 80% of the time. I guess I must be an egomaniac about 80% of the time.

From my experience, lot of players have the word "out" stuck in their tongues. I have also noticed, every player who tends to make calls before the ball even lands or make shady calls seem to love to yell "out." But that might just be me.

To be fair though, I rarely ever even make calls, which tends to really bother my doubles partners since I tend to continue playing shots that are a good foot out at times. If the ball is way out, I kind of just point my index finger up and that's about it. I only like saying the scores out loud. I want to play to improve more than to win. Winning is a bonus which usually comes more often as you get better.

Topaz 05-11-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 6525277)
I yell Wuppy.

I yell 'no', but I'm doing this from now on!

jswinf 05-11-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6525122)

Well, "no" means not good, or not in. What's the problem?

I think that, mechanically speaking, it's easier to say "no" than "out," not that it makes much difference.

And lots of people like saying "no," it's a big part of their lives. I once knew some girls like that...

DANMAN 05-11-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6525122)

It comes out easier especially on fast first serves and it also doesn't sound like a beginner who yells out at the top of his lungs. At my level, I'm much more concerned about someone calling an in ball out then how they call it out. Usually I know without a call

interjim 05-11-2012 07:22 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get more banal...

jaybear1909 05-11-2012 07:53 PM

I do this. I never say "out", but rather "long" or "wide" depending on the shot. On ones that could be either I just say "no". Alot easier to say no on the serve too.

Not obnoxious about it though :)

Wuppy 05-11-2012 08:03 PM

It seems more in-your-face than "out."

NO your serve wasn't in. NO. NO.

I think I'll start shouting "NEIN!" each time.

Venetian 05-11-2012 08:14 PM

I like to underhand serve and then when the opponent can't make it to the ball or hits it long or wide I yell vamos and pump my fists repeatedly. I also never apologize when I hit the net cord, because I meant to do it.