Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Federer regain the #1 ranking after the 2012 US Open? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=423871)

BreakPoint 05-12-2012 09:24 PM

Will Federer regain the #1 ranking after the 2012 US Open?
 
Federer has been winning a lot since last year's US Open, while Djokovic and Nadal have been faltering somewhat. If things continue on a similar course and Federer is able to keep it up somewhat, will he be able to regain the #1 ranking again by the end of this year's US Open, and thereby, finally breaking Sampras's untouchable record of total weeks ranked at #1?

FlashFlare11 05-12-2012 09:30 PM

I think it's heavily dependent on Djokovic and how well he performs in these next few months. Roland Garros and Wimbledon will be key. Roger has a great chance to make gains in Wimbledon, Toronto/Montreal, and Cincy, whereas Djokovic is defending both finals and champhionship points (as well as in Rome). It's possible, but I just want to see Roger get to No. 2. The strike for No. 1 can get started after he secures #2.

monfed 05-12-2012 10:45 PM

Dream on. Dense ****s LOL

WELCOME BACK BP!!

BreakPoint 05-12-2012 11:03 PM

Since Federer didn't win any Slams last year, all he has to do is to win 1 (or more) Slam and keep up his performance in the Masters and he'll likely regain the #1 ranking. Djokovic and Nadal have more points to lose than to gain this year while Federer has lots of room to gain points. :)

FlashFlare11 05-12-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6528457)
Since Federer didn't win any Slams last year, all he has to do is to win 1 (or more) Slam and keep up his performance in the Masters and he'll likely regain the #1 ranking. Djokovic and Nadal have more points to lose than to gain this year while Federer has lots of room to gain points. :)

But that's only until after the US Open. After that, Federer has quite a lot to defend, with Basel, Paris, and a perfect WTF win. That's 3000 points!

monfed 05-12-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6528457)
Since Federer didn't win any Slams last year, all he has to do is to win 1 (or more) Slam and keep up his performance in the Masters and he'll likely regain the #1 ranking. Djokovic and Nadal have more points to lose than to gain this year while Federer has lots of room to gain points. :)

Scratching the surface there,BP. Fed will infact drop points if he doesn't make the final of RG. :lol:

BreakPoint 05-12-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 (Post 6528467)
But that's only until after the US Open. After that, Federer has quite a lot to defend, with Basel, Paris, and a perfect WTF win. That's 3000 points!

That's why in my OP I asked if Federer will regain the #1 ranking after the US Open. I didn't say end of the year.

Bobby Jr 05-12-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6528457)
Since Federer didn't win any Slams last year, all he has to do is to win 1 (or more) Slam and keep up his performance in the Masters..

I don't even think it's dependent on him winning a slam. Remove one of Djokovic's two and give Nadal one average/anomaly result and it's there for the taking based on a couple of late runs by Federer alone imo. If Berdych, Delpo, Murray or Tsonga pulled a blinder anywhere (next week especially) Sampras could really start sweating.

BreakPoint 05-12-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6528470)
Scratching the surface there,BP. Fed will infact drop points if he doesn't make the final of RG. :lol:

But he will gain points if he gets to the finals of Wimbledon and the US Open. If he wins one or both, then it's a lock. :)

BreakPoint 05-12-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 6528472)
I don't even think it's dependent on him winning a slam. Remove one of Djokovic's two and give Nadal one average/anomaly result and it's there for the taking based on a couple of late runs by Federer alone imo. If Berdych, Delpo, Murray or Tsonga pulled a blinder anywhere (next week especially) Sampras could really start sweating.

You might be right. Since Federer didn't even make the finals of Wimbledon nor the US Open last year, if he just made the finals of both and if he wins Toronto and Cincy (since he went out early in both last year), and Djokovic and Nadal fail to win the Slams, Federer would surge ahead. :)

Rhino 05-12-2012 11:37 PM

Anything could happen. It's a very exciting time for tennis. If Djokovic wins Roland Garros it will be tough for Fed. However if Federer can win Wimbledon or Roland Garros, it's all on.

A lot of if's.

I think Nadal will become less relevant as time goes on.

monfed 05-12-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6528476)
But he will gain points if he gets to the finals of Wimbledon and the US Open. If he wins one or both, then it's a lock. :)

Freddy will draw one of the big hitters in his quarter or in an earlier round such as TBerd/JMDP/Raonic/Tsonga,guaranteed. We know how that's gonna pan out looking at his stellar performance in the past two years. The guy couldn't even win from 2-0 in sets. What is the indication that he'll reach the Wimby final let alone win it? He's declined the most on the surface. I don't think he can beat Ralph there, Djokovic perhaps he could.

As far as USO goes, yea ok he's got a shot. But it may not be enough.And If Djokovic simply improves his RG performance(a semi) and wins Wimbledon, it will be curtains for Federer.

And no Fed ain't winning Canada AND Cincy. He couldn't even do that in 2006.

Fed plays like JesusFed in one tourny and turns into a chump in the very next. Refer Miami 2012. This is Olderer,not PrimeFed.

I haven't even mentioned the Nadal. Ralph has been in incredible form since AO 2012. Madrid was a blip in the radar.

Raz11 05-12-2012 11:50 PM

If everyone defends all their points except for Federer who wins Cincinnati, Shanghai and makes it to the semis at Wimbledon, he could overtake Djokovic. Crazy to imagine Federer getting back to #1 without a slam.

merlinpinpin 05-12-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6528321)
Federer has been winning a lot since last year's US Open, while Djokovic and Nadal have been faltering somewhat. If things continue on a similar course and Federer is able to keep it up somewhat, will he be able to regain the #1 ranking again by the end of this year's US Open, and thereby, finally breaking Sampras's untouchable record of total weeks ranked at #1?

Nope.

I think he'll regain it *before* the US Open... ;)

merlinpinpin 05-12-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6528517)
Freddy will draw one of the big hitters in his quarter or in an earlier round such as TBerd/JMDP/Raonic/Tsonga,guaranteed. We know how that's gonna pan out looking at his stellar performance in the past two years. The guy couldn't even win from 2-0 in sets. What is the indication that he'll reach the Wimby final let alone win it? He's declined the most on the surface. I don't think he can beat Ralph there, Djokovic perhaps he could.

As far as USO goes, yea ok he's got a shot. But it may not be enough.And If Djokovic simply improves his RG performance(a semi) and wins Wimbledon, it will be curtains for Federer.

And no Fed ain't winning Canada AND Cincy. He couldn't even do that in 2006.

Fed plays like JesusFed in one tourny and turns into a chump in the very next. Refer Miami 2012. This is Olderer,not PrimeFed.

I haven't even mentioned the Nadal. Ralph has been in incredible form since AO 2012. Madrid was a blip in the radar.

The positive thing about this post is that the postwriting course Clarky gave you is obviously paying out in spades... :lol:

abmk 05-12-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinpinpin (Post 6528546)
The positive thing about this post is that the postwriting course Clarky gave you is obviously paying out in spades... :lol:

LOL ..... still way behind clarky though .....:)

monfed 05-13-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinpinpin (Post 6528546)
The positive thing about this post is that the postwriting course Clarky gave you is obviously paying out in spades... :lol:

And you've said nothing substantial to refute my points. I presented facts to support my arguments, care to post yours? :)

Rhino 05-13-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6528517)
Fed plays like JesusFed in one tourny and turns into a chump in the very next. Refer Miami 2012. This is Olderer,not PrimeFed.

Correction: Fed plays like JesusFed for about 5 tournaments back-to-back and then gets a bit tired for one tournament.

Evan77 05-13-2012 12:42 AM

guys, get real. It is very unlikely he'll get back to #1. Djokovic is too solid (holding 3 slams), Rog is almost 31 yo. Most of the big hitters can take him down at slams. I know he is the most loved player in the world (and on this board) but please. He hasn't won a major in 2 years. Well, dreaming is free.

monfed 05-13-2012 12:51 AM

I think Ralph is a bigger threat by far than the Djoker for Fed IMO. Djoker is at 1.2/1.0 level right now. That won't be enough for RG/Wimby imo. USO maybe.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse