Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Most balanced and imbalanced players all time in terms of backhand and forehand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=424041)

pc1 05-14-2012 11:36 AM

Most balanced and imbalanced players all time in terms of backhand and forehand

In some ways this is a variation of the greatest ground game thread except I'm curious who you feel are the most balanced and imbalanced on both backhand and forehand in history.

For example while Nadal is at least good on both sides I feel his forehand is by far the superior shot and he uses it as much as possible. With Novak Djokovic he has arguably the best backhand in tennis today and an excellent forehand.

Some players off the top of my head would be Laver, Rosewall, Borg, Tilden, Lacoste, McEnroe, Agassi, Wilander, Riggs and of course the already mentioned Djokovic. I believe these players have backhand and forehands that are relatively close in strength overall.

Actually at the same time we can discuss players where one side is far superior to the other but overall their ground ground is also superb. I think players like Segura, Federer and Newcombe who have very good backhands but awesome forehands would be in this category. These players have overall excellent groundies but their forehands are far superior to their backhands even though their backhands are good.

Limpinhitter 05-14-2012 01:23 PM

Men:
Most balanced: AA
Most unbalanced: Tom Okker. His forehand was that good.

Women:
Most Balanced: Chris Evert
Most Unbalanced: Steffi Graf

galain 05-15-2012 09:44 AM

Yep - Steffi was the first to come to mind for me too. Not that her backhand was bad - but she lost her topspin b/h very early on in the piece and even though she had a phenomenal slice, her forehand made her game seem a little unbalanced it was that good.

Rock Strongo 05-15-2012 03:41 PM

Courier would fit in the unbalanced category, along with early Roddick, no?

Limpinhitter 05-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Strongo (Post 6537072)
Courier would fit in the unbalanced category, along with early Roddick, no?

I think those are good calls. Courier fits the mold because of how great his forehand was. His backhand is underrated IMO. But, I would say that prime Courier was more balanced than Segura, Newcombe and Okker. Roddick's backhand was never great, but his forehand was great early on. So, "yup" for early Roddick, too.

jaggy 05-15-2012 05:05 PM

Berasategui on the fh side

timnz 05-15-2012 05:07 PM

Lendl

Lendl is often on top ten of all time for both the backhand and the forehand (though I think his forehand probably is top 3).

pc1 05-15-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6533710)
Men:
Most balanced: AA
Most unbalanced: Tom Okker. His forehand was that good.

Women:
Most Balanced: Chris Evert
Most Unbalanced: Steffi Graf

Yes I can see that. Graf's backhand was good but her forehand was supernatural. I never could understand why she didn't try to drive her backhand more considering that many of her matches were so one sided that she could afford to practice. Her backhand returns during the 1988 Wimbledon final against the great Navratilova were great and even her husband would be proud of those returns.

Some thought Okker's forehand was the best in tennis. His backhand was okay but not great. Good choices.

pc1 05-15-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6537260)
Lendl is often on top ten of all time for both the backhand and the forehand (though I think his forehand probably is top 3).

Yes Lendl was one of the players with whom it was hard to attack in a baseline rally. Both backhand and forehand were so solid.

I might put Connors there too. It's not a coincidence that both won the most tournaments of the Open Era.

slice bh compliment 05-15-2012 06:35 PM

I like limpinhitter's choices, completely. All 4 of them.

If I may add...
Charlie Moya. Huge forehand. Kind of whimpy on the BH.

I always loved Edberg's BH. His forehand made me nervous with the almost continental grip, ahahha.

droliver 05-15-2012 07:33 PM

Jimmy Arias. Had without question the biggest forehand on tour for a few seasons in the early 1980's matched with a club level backhand that he himself used to make fun of.

DolgoSantoro 05-15-2012 08:34 PM

I think Safin deserves mention

Limpinhitter 05-16-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 6537451)
I like limpinhitter's choices, completely. All 4 of them.

If I may add...
Charlie Moya. Huge forehand. Kind of whimpy on the BH.

I always loved Edberg's BH. His forehand made me nervous with the almost continental grip, ahahha.

Ahh, Edberg for the reverse unbalanced game. I agree. Edberg's bh was one of the all time great 1hb's. His fh was somewhat underrated, IMO, but, a relative weakness compared to the rest of his game in terms of reliability.

Limpinhitter 05-16-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droliver (Post 6537578)
Jimmy Arias. Had without question the biggest forehand on tour for a few seasons in the early 1980's matched with a club level backhand that he himself used to make fun of.

I think we have a winner! Arias had a truly great forehand, and a truly weak backhand.

li0scc0 05-16-2012 06:44 AM

Steffi Graf had the greatest slice backhand I have ever seen.
Andy Roddick's slice backhand is now his biggest weapon outside his serve (not saying a lot, but his slice BH is excellent).
Courier's backhand was a very good shot.

pc1 05-16-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6538373)
I think we have a winner! Arias had a truly great forehand, and a truly weak backhand.

Possibly but let's see some other choices.

pc1 05-16-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolgoSantoro (Post 6537711)
I think Safin deserves mention

I assume you mean for strength on both sides.

kiki 05-16-2012 01:32 PM

IŽd include Pecci.

pc1 05-16-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6539555)
IŽd include Pecci.

For what, balanced or imbalanced?

jaggy 05-16-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6538455)
Possibly but let's see some other choices.

I repeat Berasategui who got further than Arias reaching slam finals with zero bh