Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Solinco vs. Genesis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=424358)

Richard1500 05-16-2012 03:27 PM

Solinco vs. Genesis

Hello, I am a Professional tennis player and lately traveling around the Futures Iīve found that many players are using Solinco, and some others are using Genesis strings. So Iīve tried both and I find that some friends were a little upset about me using Genesis. Why? I donīt know. But this is what I found out about both. First Solinco says something like created in the US, and down there in little letters it says Made in Taiwan. (I think this misleads many) and this players were upset that I was trying a string that was not made in America!!! But I show them it was not made in America and they couldīt believe it. Well, I tried the Tour Bite and the Barb something from Solinco. Then I tried the Black Magic and the Typhoon (as Ivo Karlovic is using that one now) and then, I canīt understand how could someone prefer the Taiwan made string against the German made string. This German guys have to be good at making strings. This strings were better in every way compared to the Solinco, but the feeling and the power I was getting from the Genesis is great. Needless to say, I didnīt pay for any of this sets, Solinco and Genesis gives free sets to anyone that wants to try their strings even more we can get Solinco reels for 50usd, instead of 155. But my ATP points cost more to me than 50usd. So I am staying with Genesis for a little while, as RPM feels a little stiffer than the Typhoon, and almost the same as the Black Magic. What I do agree with other players is that the presentation is not as good as the Solinco, but what I say is that my presentation card is in my serve, and in my forehand, not in the way my reel looks like when I go to string my racquets!!!

pvaudio 05-16-2012 03:46 PM

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that Solinco stinks because it's either not American, or the fact that it's not as good as another string which happens to be German. While Germany is a hotbed for poly strings, the most popular ones are still being made in Belgium/USA (Luxilon) and France (Babolat, Technifibre).

drakulie 05-16-2012 04:40 PM

who cares where they are made as long as they perform well for you. Both make some good strings, you just need to find out which is best for you, which it seems you already have.

Personally, I prefer the black magic over any other poly. Great string.

On another note, at several futures I string at this year there were quite a bit of players using the Genesis (Black Magic/Typhoon). Also, not sure if Karlovic is using it (Genesis),,,,, I think you meant Gabashavilli,,,,,,,,,,,, and also, Wayne Odesnik uses it.

Richard1500 05-16-2012 04:55 PM

Also, not sure if Karlovic is using it (Genesis),,,,, I think you meant Gabashavilli,,,,,,,,,,,, and also, Wayne Odesnik uses it.[/quote]

I used the Typhoon as they said it is being used by Karlovic, that is what I heard, where can I check if that is truth???

Richard1500 05-16-2012 05:02 PM

While Germany is a hotbed for poly strings, the most popular ones are still being made in Belgium/USA (Luxilon) and France (Babolat, Technifibre).[/quote]

You are totally right, but Gelgium and France are right next to Germany. I know Babolat didnīt have the RPM until Signum Pro made and started selling pretty good the Hyperion and the Tornado. So my guess is that there is only one polymer maker and France and Belgium or France and Germany buys from them. I was talking with one guy that makes Coca Cola bottles and he told me that all the new plastics come from Germany, and Germany sells to everyone in the world the best plastics. That is including Polymers and Polyesters. Second I know only one brand of strings make strings in here, and that one is not Luxilon, and it is not even a great string, at least not for tennis.

drakulie 05-16-2012 05:03 PM

^^You may want to check the Genesis website.

Perhaps karlovic is trying it out??

edit::

I just found this.
http://www.facebook.com/TennisExpert...type=1&theater

It seems Dr. Ivo is using the typhoon.

DrewRafter8 05-16-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6539974)
who cares where they are made as long as they perform well for you. Both make some good strings, you just need to find out which is best for you, which it seems you already have.

Personally, I prefer the black magic over any other poly. Great string.

On another note, at several futures I string at this year there were quite a bit of players using the Genesis (Black Magic/Typhoon). Also, not sure if Karlovic is using it (Genesis),,,,, I think you meant Gabashavilli,,,,,,,,,,,, and also, Wayne Odesnik uses it.

Do you normally do a full bed of BM or a hybrid job?

drakulie 05-16-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewRafter8 (Post 6540062)
Do you normally do a full bed of BM or a hybrid job?

full bed, although I have been experimenting with natural gut/black magic in crosses as well as typhoon with differing tensions. We'll see how that goes.

DrewRafter8 05-16-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6540073)
full bed, although I have been experimenting with natural gut/black magic in crosses as well as typhoon with differing tensions. We'll see how that goes.

I've been a typhoon, spinx, and twisted razor user myself. I'm thinking of a gut main / blue typhoon setup.

BobFL 05-16-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard1500 (Post 6539845)
Hello, I am a Professional tennis player and lately traveling around the Futures Iīve found that many players are using Solinco, and some others are using Genesis strings. So Iīve tried both and I find that some friends were a little upset about me using Genesis. Why? I donīt know. But this is what I found out about both. First Solinco says something like created in the US, and down there in little letters it says Made in Taiwan. (I think this misleads many) and this players were upset that I was trying a string that was not made in America!!! But I show them it was not made in America and they couldīt believe it. Well, I tried the Tour Bite and the Barb something from Solinco. Then I tried the Black Magic and the Typhoon (as Ivo Karlovic is using that one now) and then, I canīt understand how could someone prefer the Taiwan made string against the German made string. This German guys have to be good at making strings. This strings were better in every way compared to the Solinco, but the feeling and the power I was getting from the Genesis is great. Needless to say, I didnīt pay for any of this sets, Solinco and Genesis gives free sets to anyone that wants to try their strings even more we can get Solinco reels for 50usd, instead of 155. But my ATP points cost more to me than 50usd. So I am staying with Genesis for a little while, as RPM feels a little stiffer than the Typhoon, and almost the same as the Black Magic. What I do agree with other players is that the presentation is not as good as the Solinco, but what I say is that my presentation card is in my serve, and in my forehand, not in the way my reel looks like when I go to string my racquets!!!

You don't understand how those things work. It is not German vs Taiwanese vs Chinese vs Martian. It is about business entity which makes orders and define specs and price points. You can order both junk and state of the art stuff. It is up to you and they can make either. For example, Ray Ban admits that Chinese factories are FAR superior to Italian and every day they transfer glasses production to China.

Now, back to the topic - I have tried many, almost every significant string in the market and nothing from Genesis comes close to Solinco. Typhoon is going dead super-fast, faster than Lux. Tour Bite however is one of the finest polys in the market hands down.

pvaudio 05-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard1500 (Post 6540036)
While Germany is a hotbed for poly strings, the most popular ones are still being made in Belgium/USA (Luxilon) and France (Babolat, Technifibre).

You are totally right, but Gelgium and France are right next to Germany. I know Babolat didnīt have the RPM until Signum Pro made and started selling pretty good the Hyperion and the Tornado. So my guess is that there is only one polymer maker and France and Belgium or France and Germany buys from them. I was talking with one guy that makes Coca Cola bottles and he told me that all the new plastics come from Germany, and Germany sells to everyone in the world the best plastics. That is including Polymers and Polyesters. Second I know only one brand of strings make strings in here, and that one is not Luxilon, and it is not even a great string, at least not for tennis.

Perhaps what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it's not. I'm just saying that country doesn't indicate quality. If it did, then all of the top manufacturers for racquets wouldn't sell their business over to China and have their racquets made simply to their specifications. That said, there is one company that simply trumps when it comes to quality control: Yonex. They're made in Japan which is simply known for attention to detail and zero compromise in their products' quality. This does not mean that Yonex frames are superior to Wilson, Head or Babolat.

dodgers 05-16-2012 06:56 PM

Richard1500, you had better stick to being a so called "Professional tennis player" as I don’t think you really understand what the ins and outs of tennis gear actually is.
I think it was a bit of a strange statement you were trying to get across.
Bet your racquet is made in China, and your shoes too............. oh, how about your shirt..

fgs 05-16-2012 07:39 PM

the shirt is likely to be bangladesh or vietnam.:)

mikeler 05-17-2012 04:57 AM

I play with strings that are best for my game regardless of manufacturing location.

BobFL 05-17-2012 07:35 AM

mikeler has spoken. Admins, please close this thread!

mikeler 05-17-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 6541542)
mikeler has spoken. Admins, please close this thread!

Why is this thread still open? :)

Richard1500 05-17-2012 08:44 AM

That said, there is one company that simply trumps when it comes to quality control: Yonex. They're made in Japan which is simply known for attention to detail and zero compromise in their products' quality. This does not mean that Yonex frames are superior to Wilson, Head or Babolat.[/quote]

I want to know about Yonex strings, Iīve never tried one before, are they good? I know they are good for badminton, but for tennis, I havenīt see any player using it.

Boricua 05-17-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6540073)

What racket are you using?

Richard1500 05-17-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgers (Post 6540282)
Richard1500, you had better stick to being a so called "Professional tennis player" as I don’t think you really understand what the ins and outs of tennis gear actually is.
I think it was a bit of a strange statement you were trying to get across.
Bet your racquet is made in China, and your shoes too............. oh, how about your shirt..

Your are right. Everything else is being made in China. But wasn't that the reason why America is in crisis??? At the end I found something really interesting about this thread. When you try several strings from LUX to RPM, and from Ashaway and Pacific, to Kirschbaum and Signum Pro, for me it was pretty amazing finding a string that doesnīt cost 240usd with the same quality. Even more, I received an e-mail from a friend in Europe today telling me there are many secrets in Tennis. There are strings that say Made in France, that are made in Germany. And packed in France. Also he told me Nadal never used the Pro Hurricane Tour and he sent me a photo of Nadal when he was using PHT, and his string looks more like a Polyester than the Hurricane Tour. Also his racquet (Nadal racquet) has the Cortex painted. The same with Djokovic, a lot of secrets, and Federer. So I guess at the end a company that pays 16usd for each reel made in Taiwan and selling it for 155usd, cannot be better than a reel made in Germany that probably costs 40usd and it is sold for 180usd. How much do you think a racquet costs being made in China? 20? 30usd? And how much does a regular player pays for it? I wish America was not in Crisis, and I wish I could still find tennis shoes being made here, and clothing, and Racquets:-) If I would have money I would start working in making good quality sports products in America!!!

BobFL 05-17-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6541809)
Why is this thread still open? :)