Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Biking anyone? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425541)

zidane339 05-26-2012 08:39 PM

Biking anyone?

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while but was just wondering if any of you bike? Feel free to share your biking background, the bikes you own, cool stories, etc.

I recently got into road biking and I have been having a blast. It shares a lot of the qualities that drew me to tennis. I loved tennis a lot due to being a gear head and enjoyed learning how to string and customize racquets. Bikes are the same, if not even more perfect for a gear head. The amount of components and mechanics that go into a bike are crazy cool and fun to tinker around with. Its also quite liberating to know you can go anywhere you want on your own power and your bike. Pretty awesome hobby (although expensive) and I wish I got into it earlier.

Here's my first road bike, its a pretty sweet customized 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro. Super light and it flies. I also have a beater that I use to commute on.

Let's hear your biking experiences, whether it be mountain biking, commuting, or just biking round the block! (apologies if a thread has already been made for this)

user92626 05-26-2012 10:35 PM

Yeah, I literally just started looking into biking 4 days ago when I learned my long time friend started it a few months ago. Comparing to tennis, this is a very expensive interest. I have no idea how I'll like it but my friend is very enthusiastic so I thought..what the hell. I am still shopping for stuffs and just placed my order yesterday for my first bike, a entry road bike @ 360usd. I wish I had money to burn for one like your 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro.

Your bike looks gorgeous.

Oh man when my bike arrives I will have to assemble it and do my best with tuning and I have no idea how. I am only relying on my average mechanical "skills".

I think if I have the legs and knees for tennis, biking shouldn't be that hard!!!

fundrazer 05-27-2012 06:42 AM

I have been cycling for about a year now. I got my first road bike last year, a Cannondale Caad 10-5. I try to go out a few days a week, and I'm slowly building up stamina for longer rides.

I haven't made the move to clipless pedals yet, but I am currently thinking about it. I've got a pair of Specialized road shoes picked out, but still browsing the pedals. Think I'll be going with Look Keo Max 2's.

But yeah, cycling is an expensive hobby to start up. The shoes + pedals I'm currently looking at would cost about $275 total. The more you ride though the more bang for buck you get.

r2473 05-27-2012 08:07 AM

I like to steal insanely expensive bikes. That's about as far as I've taken this hobby.

zidane339 05-27-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 6569043)
Yeah, I literally just started looking into biking 4 days ago when I learned my long time friend started it a few months ago. Comparing to tennis, this is a very expensive interest. I have no idea how I'll like it but my friend is very enthusiastic so I thought..what the hell. I am still shopping for stuffs and just placed my order yesterday for my first bike, a entry road bike @ 360usd. I wish I had money to burn for one like your 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro.

Your bike looks gorgeous.

Oh man when my bike arrives I will have to assemble it and do my best with tuning and I have no idea how. I am only relying on my average mechanical "skills".

I think if I have the legs and knees for tennis, biking shouldn't be that hard!!!

Cool man glad you got into biking. It happened the same way for me, I had a hardcore friend that pushed me into it.

Putting together your first bike will be a blast im sure! Just make sure you have the right tools and you're careful. If all else fails I don't think bike shops will charge too much for assembling a specific complex step (putting on the headset, deralliers, cassette, etc). I'm sure it will be a sweet bike. If you're ever looking to upgrade I recommend Craigslist. Bikes devalue like crazy (kinda like cars and racquets) so its easy to pick up super nice bikes for much lower than msrp. Thats what I did with mine.

Keep us updated with how the build go and put up a pic!

zidane339 05-27-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundrazer (Post 6569562)
I have been cycling for about a year now. I got my first road bike last year, a Cannondale Caad 10-5. I try to go out a few days a week, and I'm slowly building up stamina for longer rides.

I haven't made the move to clipless pedals yet, but I am currently thinking about it. I've got a pair of Specialized road shoes picked out, but still browsing the pedals. Think I'll be going with Look Keo Max 2's.

But yeah, cycling is an expensive hobby to start up. The shoes + pedals I'm currently looking at would cost about $275 total. The more you ride though the more bang for buck you get.

Cool I was looking at the Cannondale Caad series as well and those are sweet. Definitely the high end of aluminum bikes out there. The pedals that I have in the pic are Look Keo Classics. I can't attest for the Max for the Classics are really nice. It was definitely hard to get use to though since the Look cleat on the bottom of your shoe is rather large so its hard to get any traction if you have to put your foot down in a hairy situation. I'll admit I took a small spill my first time. lol :oops: There are also the shimano spd system where you can get shoes that have a cleat that is not sticking out so its more of a traditional shoe.

Riding bikes is definitely great for building up stamina and it's much more fun than just running. Its helped me lose a couple pounds which I've noticed has really helped me on the tennis court!

Fuji 05-27-2012 09:37 AM

I know very little about biking, but I highly approve of your bike for the simple fact it has my name in it! :D LOL!

My girlfriends father is currently training for Ironman competitions and he`s a very solid cyclist from what I`ve heard. LOL!

-Fuji

Polaris 05-27-2012 12:06 PM

I commute to work by bike every day, and have been doing so for that last few years. Longer rides happen on weekends when the weather is good. I have a basic steel hybrid bike that doesn't go very fast, but has been a tough and problem-free ride for the last 3000 miles or so. For the size and timing of my commute, the bike is actually faster than the car, besides being more fun than driving in stop-and-go traffic.

LeeD 05-27-2012 12:23 PM

Dabbled a bit thru the last 40 years with Bianchi/Record, Zeus/?, Cannondale R500/105, and my last year's purchase, Cannondale Caad8/6 Tiagra. Only for fall/winter/spring, we ride mostly in the mid 30 mile range, I'm not up to speed.
G/F is a ex racer, so she has Treks at sub 15 lbs., DuraAce on 2 bikes. Of course, I can't keep up, except on short sprints at the beginning of rides. She's done double centuries, so well out of my leaque.

zidane339 05-27-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 6570155)
I commute to work by bike every day, and have been doing so for that last few years. Longer rides happen on weekends when the weather is good. I have a basic steel hybrid bike that doesn't go very fast, but has been a tough and problem-free ride for the last 3000 miles or so. For the size and timing of my commute, the bike is actually faster than the car, besides being more fun than driving in stop-and-go traffic.

How long is your commute distance wise? Mine is 15 miles, which is a little rough to get up early enough to make it in to the office by 8 am. Hopefully I will get fast enough to do it more than just once or twice a week.

And youre right, much more fun than traffic and nothing like saving gas money now a days.

zidane339 05-27-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6570185)
Dabbled a bit thru the last 40 years with Bianchi/Record, Zeus/?, Cannondale R500/105, and my last year's purchase, Cannondale Caad8/6 Tiagra. Only for fall/winter/spring, we ride mostly in the mid 30 mile range, I'm not up to speed.
G/F is a ex racer, so she has Treks at sub 15 lbs., DuraAce on 2 bikes. Of course, I can't keep up, except on short sprints at the beginning of rides. She's done double centuries, so well out of my leaque.

Wish my gf was into biking! Currently trying to persuade her into it so I'm not always riding solo.

zidane339 05-27-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 6569876)
I know very little about biking, but I highly approve of your bike for the simple fact it has my name in it! :D LOL!

My girlfriends father is currently training for Ironman competitions and he`s a very solid cyclist from what I`ve heard. LOL!

-Fuji

Haha sounds like you should buy a Fuji, Fuji. :)

zidane339 05-27-2012 12:56 PM

Anyone into mountain biking? I actually first started on a mountain bike and it was just too extreme for me. Having to deal with logs, rocks, and other things that I could easily get hurt on wasn't my style. What can I say I'm a wuss!lol I also felt I wasn't accomplishing anything riding around in circles on trails. With a road bike I'm able to get to destinations I would normally just drive to. Its a nice feeling of accomplishment. Kudos to anyone that does mtb though!

Polaris 05-27-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidane339 (Post 6570259)
How long is your commute distance wise? Mine is 15 miles, which is a little rough to get up early enough to make it in to the office by 8 am. Hopefully I will get fast enough to do it more than just once or twice a week.

15 miles one way is pretty challenging. I'd say that makes the road bike worth it. Mine is much shorter, only 7 miles round-trip.

zidane339 05-27-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 6570586)
15 miles one way is pretty challenging. I'd say that makes the road bike worth it. Mine is much shorter, only 7 miles round-trip.

Man Im jealous, 7 miles is a perfect commute. 15 miles one way is taking me up to 2 hours right now even on a road bike. Need to get more fit. But Im moving closer to work, <10 miles, this coming year so I can commute year round. Can't wait.

LeeD 05-27-2012 06:20 PM

Hard to find the right distance for a work commute.
G/f goes 7 miles, so she takes a cyclocross lead bike and weighs it down with 2 heavy panniers. She winds up thru the Berkeley hills mostly, adding another 5 miles and 40 lbs loaded bike.
Me, I'm lazy, either take my HooKooEKoo mountain (27lbs.) or a long flat way home withe the 20 lbs Caad8.
I started mountain biking at MtTam with the pioneers in '85, rode a FisherMontare with really big balloon tires. Coming off MX, downhill was still scary, but doeable (their speeds coming down EldredgeGrade off Tam..hit over 40 at PortreroMeadows), but I couldn't come close to staying with them uphill. By '90, third mountain bike was an Offroad bumper front and back 986, a pretty good 2" suspension downhiller. Still couldn't climb worth beans. Then in the mid '90's, the Fisher front Indy shox with Judy parts. Stuck with tennis, windsurfing, and snowboarding till last year's road bike.

Tennishacker 05-28-2012 08:55 AM

Do people really have thousands of dollars to spend on a bike?
For me, it's just the basics.

Alum. frame and sub 25lbs. That's it.

fundrazer 05-28-2012 09:11 AM

Some people do, otherwise the bike manufacturers wouldn't bother releasing them. I think the best recent example is Specialized Mclaren Venge. That thing will sent you back quite a few bucks.

Anyway, I just returned from a 15 mile ride. Fun, fun, fun!

LeeD 05-28-2012 10:21 AM

I've always bought the absolutely low end bikes, but the lightest I cannot afford. Around $1,000 does a 20 lbs'er roadie, and a 26lbs mountain bike.
Some people can afford a 15lbs road bike, cost around $5,000-$8,000. Why not? If they can afford it.
Some say "buy used" for the best deals. Yes, it's true, but it's also used, might need upwards of $500 in cables (150), bearings (ez dat), tires, seats, etc. Might get lucky, might not.
I'll be back riding again around Oct., when the windsurfing starts to die out. Windsurfing and biking burn out the same thigh muscles, along with tennis.

SlapShot 05-28-2012 11:06 AM

I started riding 2 years ago to cross train for tennis - currently riding a Felt Z85. Once I finish grad school, I'm jumping to a Z4 or F4 - want to go full carbon/Ultegra. I figure that I should be able to put at least 2,000 miles on it before I move up - about halfway there right now.

My longest ride to date has been 50 miles - hoping to get my legs under me for a 60 miler this summer. Got 30 in a couple of weeks ago on a windy day, and realized I've got some work to do. :) It's amazing how good a 2+ hour ride feels after a while though. The one thing I noticed after a summer of lots of riding was that my legs were much stronger, and I was naturally staying down on my groundstrokes because of that strength.

I can't recommend clipless pedals enough - you only get half of your pedal stroke when you aren't clipped in, plus you are so much more connected to the bike. I've gotten so used to clipping in and out that it's second nature now.

Zidane - do I remember you being a MN member? If so, you should check out the Cannon Valley trail - it runs along the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to Red Wing, and it's an AWESOME trail to ride on a weekend afternoon - it's about 40 miles round trip, and it's beautiful scenery the whole way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6572099)
Do people really have thousands of dollars to spend on a bike?
For me, it's just the basics.

Alum. frame and sub 25lbs. That's it.

Bike pricing is tough to wrap your head around at first if you're coming from tennis, where getting a quality frame is pretty cheap. It comes down to getting an extra 3% or 4% for that huge jump. The jumps come from moving to carbon fork/aluminum frame ($$), then to full carbon ($$$), then upgrading components (Shimano 105 $$, Ultegra $$$, or Dura-Ace $$$$) with incremental improvements to weight and smoothness. I currently ride Shimano 105, and the jump to Ultegra or Dura-Ace isn't something I've found I need yet. I'm a believer in "if you need to upgrade, you'll probably know that you do." I'm not there yet....