Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Coaching Changes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425822)

mackimac 05-29-2012 08:04 AM

Coaching Changes
 
It is getting interesting what do you guys think will happen with these jobs opening up. It could create a ripple effect around the country especially if Boland leaves Virginia.

Oklahoma State

Florida

Princeton

I think Alabama should open up

Hot names for the jobs include

John Roddick Ou
Brett Masi San Diego
Adam Steinberg Pepperdine
Brian Boland (Florida Only)
Kyle Spencer Maryland
Jay Udawai Fresno
Yassir Zaiti ETSU
Derek Mills Santa Clara
Mait Dubois UNCW
Nick Carless Cal Poly

Assistants

Will Glenn Georgia
Pedroso Virginia
Cedric Kaufmann
Tobi Hansen
Chris Woodruff

Just throwing it out there

Vicious Vik 05-29-2012 09:11 AM

Clemson
Purdue
Oregon
Arizona

those jobs will also open up. Obviously Oregon and Clemson are the best of those two. I am surprised that oregon has not cared much about tennis yet, since they have upped their effort in every other sport including things like softball and track.


Florida is the marquee job of the whole off season though. I think they will hire Boland. Pedroso would then take the reigns at UVA and they would slide back into a 10-15 type team.

Oklahoma State should hire the UT Arlington coach

Vicious Vik 05-29-2012 09:15 AM

also I think assistants are over-valued. Diaz and Boland are the success not Pedroso and Glenn. The two head coaches could win with a trained chimpanzee as the assistant.

mackimac 05-29-2012 09:21 AM

UTA coach to Oklahoma State that makes no sense he consistently loses in the Southland Conference. That is a tough school to be good at but I think they have a lot of resources

Vicious Vik 05-29-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackimac (Post 6574824)
UTA coach to Oklahoma State that makes no sense he consistently loses in the Southland Conference. That is a tough school to be good at but I think they have a lot of resources

I meant UTSA

BHSC 05-29-2012 09:44 AM

I think Steinberg would only (possibly) leave for Florida. He's shown that you can win a National Title at Pepperdine, coaches in a great location and he's already been the coach at Alabama.

As already mentioned, you would think Oregon would make a push. Most college teams already wear Nike. Guess it's hard to find guys on the West Coast who will play indoors much of the year. Ohio St./Illinois etc, can at least pull some local guys.

Clemson has so many former players in high profile spots, it's hard to believe they didn't ask any of them to coach after Kriese. Just to name a few, Jay Berger, who heads the USTA Player Development, Frank Salazar, who set up JTCC in College Park, MD (Kudla, Frank, etc) and the place where Kriese is now. Craig Boynton coaches Isner. There are probably 3-4 more former Clemson guys who (if named coach) could do a good job and be able to recruit some name players



Quote:

Originally Posted by mackimac (Post 6574567)
It is getting interesting what do you guys think will happen with these jobs opening up. It could create a ripple effect around the country especially if Boland leaves Virginia.

Oklahoma State

Florida

Princeton

I think Alabama should open up

Hot names for the jobs include

John Roddick Ou
Brett Masi San Diego
Adam Steinberg Pepperdine
Brian Boland (Florida Only)
Kyle Spencer Maryland
Jay Udawai Fresno
Yassir Zaiti ETSU
Derek Mills Santa Clara
Mait Dubois UNCW
Nick Carless Cal Poly

Assistants

Will Glenn Georgia
Pedroso Virginia
Cedric Kaufmann
Tobi Hansen
Chris Woodruff

Just throwing it out there


tennisjon 05-29-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Vik (Post 6574801)
also I think assistants are over-valued. Diaz and Boland are the success not Pedroso and Glenn. The two head coaches could win with a trained chimpanzee as the assistant.

Are you speaking just about their assistants? Depending on the school and the program, the assistants might be the recruiters. They might be the in match coach. They might be the person who goes over the strategy for the matches with the players and does other behind-the-scenes work. I have been coaching at the college level for 14 seasons and the programs that I have seen with the most success have the best assistants.

Automator 05-29-2012 10:05 AM

You'd have to go back a long way to find a coach that was hired away from Virginia by an equivalent or bigger college program in any sport. Honestly, I'm thinking back, and I can't think of one.

Misterbill 05-29-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 6574965)
Are you speaking just about their assistants? Depending on the school and the program, the assistants might be the recruiters. They might be the in match coach. They might be the person who goes over the strategy for the matches with the players and does other behind-the-scenes work. I have been coaching at the college level for 14 seasons and the programs that I have seen with the most success have the best assistants.

Are these your responsibilities at Drew? You have told us you are assistant coach there, right? What does your head coach do?

Clemson_tennis 05-29-2012 10:11 AM

Im almost 100% sure that the Clemson job is not opening up. Where are you getting your info Vik? Are you just guessing?

tennis_tater 05-29-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHSC (Post 6574902)
Clemson has so many former players in high profile spots, it's hard to believe they didn't ask any of them to coach after Kriese. Just to name a few, Jay Berger, who heads the USTA Player Development, Frank Salazar, who set up JTCC in College Park, MD (Kudla, Frank, etc) and the place where Kriese is now. Craig Boynton coaches Isner. There are probably 3-4 more former Clemson guys who (if named coach) could do a good job and be able to recruit some name players

Do you think those former players who are currently in "high profile spots" would give up their current "high profile" job for a lesser one at Clemson? Do you know if any of those guys even have an interest in being a D 1 college coach?

floridatennisdude 05-29-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6575028)
Im almost 100% sure that the Clemson job is not opening up. Where are you getting your info Vik? Are you just guessing?

He's been guessing all over the UF thread, so probably here too.

mackimac 05-29-2012 10:18 AM

Let's face it Clemson has been under performing for a while now. Chuck had better get it going

floridatennisdude 05-29-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automator (Post 6574992)
You'd have to go back a long way to find a coach that was hired away from Virginia by an equivalent or bigger college program in any sport. Honestly, I'm thinking back, and I can't think of one.

DC United took Arenas..not college, I know.

You have to admit though that UVAs success has been fairly confined to sports like lacrosse, soccer, and cross country. the sample size for this experiment is a bit small.

Just pointing out facts. I still don't think boland should move. He has a great thing going.

tennisjon 05-29-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 6575026)
Are these your responsibilities at Drew? You have told us you are assistant coach there, right? What does your head coach do?

First of all, my main job is a high school teacher. I can only do so much during the day to help with the team at Drew. Once at Drew, I do a little bit of it all.

We have a graduate assistant who does a lot of initial contact with recruits. The head coach does the tours and closes the deals.

The head coach does all of the budgeting. He conducts practice and I assist him with that. He is extremely strong in the technique department, having been a top instructor in the area. I am much better at strategy, positioning, and communicating with players, although I can also do some technique help.

We discuss which doubles teams would work best with each other. We come up with game plans for opponents we are familiar with for game day. Also, I run all of the tournaments that we host.

During matches he takes certain courts and I take other courts. Communicating with players is something I am strong at, so certain players I wind up working with more with than others.

My specialty is also in equipment. I help players get the right racquet, string, and sneakers that fit their playing style.

The head coach and I offer different strengths and weaknesses, so we compliment each other. We work together to get our teams to perform to the best of their abilities. Its not always easy, but we have been very successful. We just won our 12th consecutive men's conference title (without a loss) and the women have won 3 during that time.

tennis_tater 05-29-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackimac (Post 6575074)
Let's face it Clemson has been under performing for a while now. Chuck had better get it going

When was the last time Clemson was truly a player on the national scene in tennis? Seems like their football and soccer programs, their tennis program hasn't been a true national contender since the 80's. Am I off on that?

Misterbill 05-29-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 6575278)
First of all, my main job is a high school teacher. I can only do so much during the day to help with the team at Drew. Once at Drew, I do a little bit of it all.

We have a graduate assistant who does a lot of initial contact with recruits. The head coach does the tours and closes the deals.

The head coach does all of the budgeting. He conducts practice and I assist him with that. He is extremely strong in the technique department, having been a top instructor in the area. I am much better at strategy, positioning, and communicating with players, although I can also do some technique help.

We discuss which doubles teams would work best with each other. We come up with game plans for opponents we are familiar with for game day. Also, I run all of the tournaments that we host.

During matches he takes certain courts and I take other courts. Communicating with players is something I am strong at, so certain players I wind up working with more with than others.

My specialty is also in equipment. I help players get the right racquet, string, and sneakers that fit their playing style.

The head coach and I offer different strengths and weaknesses, so we compliment each other. We work together to get our teams to perform to the best of their abilities. Its not always easy, but we have been very successful. We just won our 12th consecutive men's conference title (without a loss) and the women have won 3 during that time.

Interesting, thanks.

It must be a challenge to close deals in D3, since students do not get more need or merit aid based on being an athlete in D3.

According to my limited experience in D1, a recruit has to file an application with the admissions office prior to signing the NLI [EDIT: to make sure the school's minimum admissions standards would be met]. So after the NLI is signed (the deal is closed) the only contingency would be....graduating high school.

In D3....I guess....sports teams have to wait until the admissions office completes its work to really close the deal

Vicious Vik 05-29-2012 11:03 AM

no offense meant but... what the hell is "Drew"?

Clemson_tennis 05-29-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackimac (Post 6575074)
Let's face it Clemson has been under performing for a while now. Chuck had better get it going

he has one more year. Everyone returning in the top 6 and adding Ansari.

tennisjon 05-29-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 6575392)
Interesting, thanks.

It must be a challenge to close deals in D3, since students do not get more need or merit aid based on being an athlete in D3.

According to my limited experience in D1, a recruit has to file an application with the admissions office prior to signing the NLI [EDIT: to make sure the school's minimum admissions standards would be met]. So after the NLI is signed (the deal is closed) the only contingency would be....graduating high school.

In D3....I guess....sports teams have to wait until the admissions office completes its work to really close the deal

Yes, you are correct. It is certainly difficult to get the commitments. It tends to come down to the final few weeks of April/May. You have recruits who Drew University is a reach financially, but its the best school they got into. You have recruits who use Drew as a safety school both academically and athletically.

Its a ton of effort on the staff to recruit players and some years you wind up with not a lot for all the work and sometimes a player just falls into your lap. We have gotten a 4 star and a couple of 3 star recruits over the past few years that came based on our reputation, with relatively little effort on our part. Sometimes even getting a 1 star is like pulling teeth.

In general, the two biggest obstacles are:
1. people who see the price tag of the school and get scared off even though the school offers a lot of aid and
2. players who have an incorrect perception of their tennis ability (or the level of the team they want to go to) and don't even consider D3, wind up going to a school that is above their tennis ability and never start.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse