Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head BROWN CAPS TK 52 vs NEW BLACK CAPS TK 237 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425876)

Jacklondon00 05-29-2012 12:25 PM

Head BROWN CAPS TK 52 vs NEW BLACK CAPS TK 237

Can anyone confirm that the Classic Brown TK 52 CAPS are definitely heavier than the new YouTek/Microgel TK 237 CAPS?

I wanted to order them for a pair of racquets that feel a bit head heavy to me.

Thanks!

OnyxZ28 05-29-2012 01:16 PM

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but I've never managed to wear through the old shiny brown CAPS despite years of use, whereas I've worn through at least two sets of MG CAPS in a year.

I believe I have a set of old brown CAPS and the matte brown CAPS sitting at home -- I'll see if I can get you some definite relative numbers (not going to break the plastic on those babies, sorry!).

Jacklondon00 05-29-2012 01:29 PM

Good observation, although it could just be the poor quality plastic on the modern caps. The brown ones weigh at 33g that I know, the Liquid Metal ones weigh the same, but I don't know how much MG/YouTek are.

Jacklondon00 05-29-2012 01:30 PM

Oh, and these are for mid not MP Caps

OnyxZ28 05-29-2012 01:34 PM

Good point about the plastic quality. Now you've got me intrigued! Worst case you can use some i.Prestige mid CAPS (not sure if they're still readily available).

djinni999 11-29-2012 03:02 AM

they are heavier, about 5 grams at least from what i remember. they are more elastic and dense. they are likely to absorb more shock, offering better feel. if you want more weight in the head, just add lead; no point in paying $60 for a set. i think only the Prestige Pro 600 deserves the old CAPs and would warrant the expense. wouldn't look good on the Prestige 600 (green/gray).

Jacklondon00 11-29-2012 05:10 AM

So to do a final recap here is what I now know.

Old brown mid caps = 33g
LM mid caps = 33g
New black MG/You Tek = 28.5g and the plastic quality is terrible, we are talking about a much thinner and softer cap here.
Feel wise, they okay the same if you use poly you won't tell a difference, maybe if you use gut and are super human and sensitive racket maniac you may feel something, but I use a new set of MG caps on one original PP brown, and the old set on the other, because as it hapoens this brings the two frames I own to EXACTLY same balance and distributes the weight more evenly trough the racket than lead tape, there is a 0.5g difference in overall pickup weight, but who cares I can't notice that.

By the way, I was surprised by the 5g difference in weight and a 2 point difference in balance between these two classic Austrian beauties, I would have thought they would have had better quality control back in the day, but maybe I am to demanding!

MarrratSafin 11-29-2012 02:09 PM

Brown TK52 and Black LM CAPS weight 33g, but original brown CAPS of Prestige Pro/600 and green CAPS (TK10) weight 37g.

ruup2it 01-03-2013 02:36 PM

A local buddy of mine, username Lidoazndiabloboi, weighed and provided me the following weight for the different version grommets for the prestige mid.
(Weights included all 3 pieces of the grommet set)

TK 52 Original : 33.3 g. ---> 1.17 oz
iprestige : 28.2 g. ---> .99 oz
Liquid metal: 33.5 g. ---> 1.18 oz
Flexpoint: 28.0 g. --->0.99 oz
Microgel: 28.8 g. ---> 1.01 oz
IG: 28.3 g. ---> 1.00 oz

At first, I wasn't concerned about weight, and didn't realize how a couple of grams would make a difference. So I installed the grommet that looks the most different, which is the white/see-thru IG grommets. On the courts, the racket looks sort of like a girl's racket.

After 2 weeks of use, I felt more tired from use and felt I had to swing through more to generate more pace. I didn't realize the lightness of the grommet made such a drastic difference, until I picked up my other prestige classic with the original grommet.

Here's the thread with pics:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427130

Just broke the strings this weekend, so the Liquidmetal version will be going on.