Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Clay Courts, SF Bay Area? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425987)

iyudhi 05-30-2012 07:50 AM

Clay Courts, SF Bay Area?

I know there are some threads going on somewhere, but they're pretty old. The suggested courts might not exist anymore, or clubs not operating anymore.

With that said, anyone knows where to find clay courts to play somewhere in the San Francisco bay area?

Say Chi Sin Lo 05-30-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iyudhi (Post 6578257)
I know there are some threads going on somewhere, but they're pretty old. The suggested courts might not exist anymore, or clubs not operating anymore.

With that said, anyone knows where to find clay courts to play somewhere in the San Francisco bay area?

I know Olympic Club has clay courts, but even God himself can't get membership there. Let alone afford it.

iyudhi 05-30-2012 12:50 PM

Ouch. Anything that's available publicly?

Actually, I will be in San Diego area in two weeks. Anyone knows any place for clay courts around socal? Maybe play with me for a bit? (3-3.5 NTRP)

Or watch French Open final together? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6579186)
I know Olympic Club has clay courts, but even God himself can't get membership there. Let alone afford it.

GS 05-30-2012 01:39 PM

Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego (Mission Bay area) has clay courts available for cheap rates, but some say those courts aren't in very good shape.

esgee48 05-30-2012 03:33 PM

Yeah, Olympic Club had 2 clay courts. The entire grounds of the tennis complex is being used as hospitality areas for sponsors of the US Open Golf Tournament. It's more like Har Tru than the red clay of RG.

iyudhi 05-30-2012 03:36 PM

yeah not really hoping for red clay, as it seems most clay courts in US are har-tru

do you know anywhere else other than olympic club?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 6579569)
Yeah, Olympic Club had 2 clay courts. The entire grounds of the tennis complex is being used as hospitality areas for sponsors of the US Open Golf Tournament. It's more like Har Tru than the red clay of RG.

woodrow1029 05-30-2012 03:41 PM

Napa Valley Country Club has a couple, but that's expensive as well.

esgee48 05-30-2012 03:48 PM

Burlingame Country Club (Private) also has ONE clay court. Don't know about the cost, but if your're staying in a hotel, might have them inquire. You can also inquire out towards the Pleasanton area since they have a rather large tennis complex out there that may have clay.

Say Chi Sin Lo 05-30-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 6579598)
Burlingame Country Club (Private) also has ONE clay court. Don't know about the cost, but if your're staying in a hotel, might have them inquire. You can also inquire out towards the Pleasanton area since they have a rather large tennis complex out there that may have clay.

Do you know if Burlingame Country Club allows non-members to (pay) hit on their clay court?

esgee48 05-30-2012 05:30 PM

I don't know. If they're like most private clubs, they may have reciprocal privileges with other clubs or sometimes with hotels. You have to inquire. For the OC, you have to be with a member to use the facilities.

iyudhi 05-30-2012 07:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions... keep em coming..

Pleasanton huh? might check that one out....

Wuppy 05-30-2012 09:58 PM

Barnes is only place in SD with clay. green clay.

danix 05-30-2012 10:53 PM

Out in the SF East Bay, the only clay courts I have heard of are privately owned. Ditto in the North Bay.

Bud 05-31-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iyudhi (Post 6579190)
Ouch. Anything that's available publicly?

Actually, I will be in San Diego area in two weeks. Anyone knows any place for clay courts around socal? Maybe play with me for a bit? (3-3.5 NTRP)

Or watch French Open final together? :)

They'll probably be showing the FO final in HD in the Balboa Tennis Club clubhouse if you don't have anywhere to watch it while you're in SD.

iyudhi 05-31-2012 08:52 AM

sweet!! this will probably will be very early in the morning right? can I join them even though I'm not a member?

wow getting excited now... I don't want to watch alone in my hotel room :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 6580722)
They'll probably be showing the FO final in HD in the Balboa Tennis Club clubhouse if you don't have anywhere to watch it while you're in SD.

iyudhi 05-31-2012 08:53 AM

hmm might check it out.. are you in SD area? want to help a fellow TW-ers trying out the court? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6580382)
Barnes is only place in SD with clay. green clay.

Wuppy 05-31-2012 08:36 PM

I'm farther north but play there sometimes. Unfortuantely it's my personal policy not to meet in person anyone from the internets.

However the green courts aren't too difficult to get on, ask around and I'm sure someone will gladly play.

iyudhi 05-31-2012 08:44 PM

haha gotcha.. yeah I agree meeting person from internet can be a scary experience... so far no bad experience though...

thanks, I might make an effort to play there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuppy (Post 6583747)
I'm farther north but play there sometimes. Unfortuantely it's my personal policy not to meet in person anyone from the internets.

However the green courts aren't too difficult to get on, ask around and I'm sure someone will gladly play.

Bud 05-31-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iyudhi (Post 6581847)
sweet!! this will probably will be very early in the morning right? can I join them even though I'm not a member?

wow getting excited now... I don't want to watch alone in my hotel room :(

What time is the final? Seems it starts at 11am local or 2am pacific. So, they'll probably show a replay starting early in the morning.

You can watch TV for free at BTC. It's $6 to play all day and you get the bathroom code ;)

Rafa4Ever 06-01-2012 08:09 AM

La Costa Resort in Carlsbad has 4 RED CLAY courts
The Park Hyatt in Carlsbad has 2 GREEN CLAY courts