Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Henin's Onehanded Backhand... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=426214)

cluckcluck 05-31-2012 04:37 PM

Henin's Onehanded Backhand...

The best women's tennis has ever seen?

Super smooth, like butter:

http://youtu.be/LdDwMj3_WMA

power level 800 05-31-2012 04:58 PM

most definitely. She is to the one backhand as Nabaldian is to the two hander!

Evan77 05-31-2012 05:25 PM

super smooth ... I didn't like that episode with Serena tho, but she did retire early ... she was a little tiger woman. Serena has all the power, Justine had the skills ... meh, missing good female players.

Sid_Vicious 05-31-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power level 800 (Post 6583345)

I would rather have Wawrinka/Gasquet/Guga represent the 1 HBH rather than Henin.

power level 800 05-31-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 6583393)
I would rather have Wawrinka represent the 1 HBH rather than Henin.

That's a tough one between Wawrinkas and Almagros, with the raw power and accuracy combo. Wawrinka faces Simon next! lets wish him the best!

Sid_Vicious 05-31-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power level 800 (Post 6583345)

Quote:

Originally Posted by power level 800 (Post 6583406)
That's a tough one between Wawrinkas and Almagros, with the raw power and accuracy combo. Wawrinka faces Simon next! lets wish him the best!

Almagro has a nice backhand as well. So much power and spin.

I agree. Let's wish Stan the best. I really love that backhand.

cluckcluck 05-31-2012 05:48 PM

If we're going to throw men in the OHBH mix, then Fed takes the cake. But Gasquet's is really nice and smooth, Almagro is raw and powerful.

firepanda 05-31-2012 06:27 PM

She's got the best IMO, although this should probably be in former players section...

pc1 05-31-2012 06:58 PM

Perhaps her one hander is up there with any female's one hander but I would still pick a player like Evert's backhand over Henin's. A little more consistent and just as powerful, perhaps more so.

Evonne Goolagong's one handed backhand was pretty comparable to Henin's in effectiveness also but I wouldn't be upset if anyone picked Henin's over Goolagong's backhand.

Here's Evert and Goolagong playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHFchcZmjU

norbac 05-31-2012 07:00 PM

She had a weird hitch on it where she bobbed her head sometimes when hitting her one hander.

3fees 05-31-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6583297)
The best women's tennis has ever seen?

Super smooth, like butter:

http://youtu.be/LdDwMj3_WMA

I think you got a point there, her one handed backhand is gripped like Federer, Extreme Eastern Backhand Grip, when you can see her using it.

Cheers
3fees :)

seattle_1hander 05-31-2012 07:49 PM

Aesthetically speaking, her backhand is number two behind dimitrov

cluckcluck 05-31-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattle_1hander (Post 6583656)
Aesthetically speaking, her backhand is number two behind dimitrov

See the original post...."THE BEST WOMEN'S TENNIS HAS SEEN?"

BevelDevil 05-31-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 6583562)
She had a weird hitch on it where she bobbed her head sometimes when hitting her one hander.

I think I know what you're referring to, usually the down-the-line shot when she doesn't have much time to prepare. A lot of players do this, though I haven't really seen Federer do this.

I think it's a sign of arming the ball. It's definitely not her normal shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 6583573)
I think you got a point there, her one handed backhand is gripped like Federer, Extreme Eastern Backhand Grip,

Federer uses a conventional Eastern. Henin used an Extreme Eastern, her knuckle rolled back by a half bevel.

dominikk1985 06-01-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6583387)
super smooth ... I didn't like that episode with Serena tho, but she did retire early ... she was a little tiger woman. Serena has all the power, Justine had the skills ... meh, missing good female players.

justine was super strong for her size. she had great skills but the reason she dominated was that she could hit the **** out of the ball. she had a very strong forearm and wrist which is the reason why she could generate so much snap in her strokes. most girls don't have the forearm strength to hit a one hander like this and do this "whole body turn" to hit balls hard.

justine while being small was a power hitter

scotus 06-01-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6583387)

I never quite understood why people got all worked up over the Serena incident. My question is why did Serena proceed with the serve, only to complain after she missed the serve?

If I raised my hand to signal I wasn't ready to return serve and my opponent saw it but proceeded to serve any way, then I would not be very happy. I can see why in the heat of competition it would have ****ed off Justine and put her in the mood to screw Serena over it.

chandler bing 06-02-2012 02:34 AM

Yes, the best women's backhand I've ever seen. A joy to behold.

vive le beau jeu ! 06-02-2012 04:57 AM

what about sabatini's backhand ?
seemed smoother to me...

vive le beau jeu ! 06-02-2012 04:57 AM

(sorry: double post... that wasn't smooth...)

gocard 06-02-2012 08:15 AM

Really miss her on the women's tour. There's just no one that's exciting and consistent enough for me to follow on that side anymore. That such a small woman can pack so much punch and variety into her shots is a source of inspiration to me. Her backhand was a thing of beauty.