Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New Tattoo and Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=426642)

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 09:43 AM

New Tattoo and Tennis
 
I'm relatively new to tennis. I play 4-5 days a week for 3+ hours a day. Nothing competitive (yet) just for fun. I have been thinking about getting a tattoo on the inside of my forearm. A little closer to the elbow than this one and about that size. On the forearm of my dominant arm (left).


After talking to the artist and finding information online, everybody is saying I need to keep it out of the sun while it heals but I don't need to keep it bandaged up the whole time either. Which basically sounds to me like "don't play tennis for the two week healing period". There are worse things in life I know but I really don't want to take two weeks off from playing tennis just for a tattoo! So here's my questions to y'all:

What kind of precautions should I take to keep a new tattoo protected while playing tennis?

Will all the movement and sweating on my arm cause any damage to the tattoo?

r2473 06-04-2012 10:16 AM

You are not allowed to sweat, shower, etc. for a two week period after getting your tattoo. Its just the price ya gotta pay.

Tennis is fine though.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6595233)
You are not allowed to sweat, shower, etc. for a two week period after getting your tattoo. Its just the price ya gotta pay.

Tennis is fine though.

Arg, would a sweatband over the tattoo be bad?

Fearsome Forehand 06-04-2012 11:33 AM

I think everyone should get a tattoo (just like everyone else) to prove their individuality.

At least it isn't a tramp stamp. More like a white trash stamp. :)

I suggest getting a temporary tattoo. That way about the same time the novelty wears off so will the tattoo.

If you really want to look like a bad ***, why not cut off one of your ears and staple it to your forehead? You'll make the other tattoo dudes look like whimps. They'll be so jealous.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6595618)
I think everyone should get a tattoo (just like everyone else) to prove their individuality.

At least it isn't a tramp stamp. More like a white trash stamp. :)

I suggest getting a temporary tattoo. That way about the same time the novelty wears off, so will the tattoo.

If you really want to look like a bad ***, why not cut off one of your ears and superglue it to your forehand? You'll make the other tattoo dudes look like whimps.

I'm not trying to look badass or to prove my individuality. I'm getting a tattoo because what I'm getting is something I'm passionate about and something I've thought about doing for a long time. This isn't a spur of the moment drunken thing that will wear off. I wasn't asking for your judgement of my idea to get a tattoo I was asking for advice on protecting the tattoo while it's healing. Specifically trying to play tennis.

hollywood9826 06-04-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6595618)
I think everyone should get a tattoo (just like everyone else) to prove their individuality.

At least it isn't a tramp stamp. More like a white trash stamp. :)

I suggest getting a temporary tattoo. That way about the same time the novelty wears off so will the tattoo.

If you really want to look like a bad ***, why not cut off one of your ears and staple it to your forehand? You'll make the other tattoo dudes look like whimps.

That was funny.

The rest not so much.

Fearsome Forehand 06-04-2012 11:52 AM

So, you are passionate about permanently inking some squigly lines on your forearm? To each his own.

Tattoo removal is keeping dermatologists in Porsche payments. Bear in mind that what seems cool when you are 20 or 25 seems ultra stupid when you are a bit older.

But, it is your arm, do as you see fit. I still think the amputated ear stapled to your forehead makes more of a statement. :)

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6595709)
So, you are passionate about permanently inking some squigly lines on your forearm? To each his own.

Tattoo removal is keeping dermatologists in Porsche payments. Bear in mind that what seems cool when you are 20 or 25 seems ultra stupid when you are a bit older.

But, it is your arm. do as you see fit. I still think the amputated ear stapled to your forehead makes more of a statement. :)

I'm still not trying to "make a statement" and I'm not getting that tattoo in the picture either if that's your confusion about the squiggly lines. I'm getting a snippet of code tattooed on my arm because that's what I plan to do with the rest of my life, be a software engineer. Can we move past the judgement and actually provide constructive advice to the thread please?

Fearsome Forehand 06-04-2012 12:02 PM

I often take a contrarian viewpoint and I was much more teasing you/mocking you than judging you. You can hack off your arm for all I care. (Again, more of a statement.) You can be Stumpy the man for whom getting a mere tattoo was not nearly enough. :) Maybe get a hook. That would look really rad.

My constructive advise is not to deface your arm with some silly code. That you will regret it eventually. But, you seem determined to do so. Hopefully, you won't contract hepatitis.

Good luck with your project.

r2473 06-04-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaldwellYSR (Post 6595253)
Arg, would a sweatband over the tattoo be bad?

Yes. No sweating and no sweatbands.

But again, tennis is just fine.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6595743)
My constructive advise is not to deface your arm with some silly code. That you will regret it eventually. But, you seem determined to do so. Hopefully, you won't contract hepatitis.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah hopefully not! The artist I'm going to is pretty professional and I'm going to watch her sterilize the equipment. Hopefully that helps.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6595756)
Yes. No sweating and no sweatbands.

But again, tennis is just fine.

Lol well the way I play I'll be sweating in a heartbeat :P I'll just tone it down for a few weeks, play less and not play too hard that I end up sweating too much.

r2473 06-04-2012 12:11 PM

^^ Federer never sweats. Just saying.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6595782)
^^ Federer never sweats. Just saying.

Hahaha I believe that... Either way I'm not in the best of shape and I run for every single ball when I play. Plus it's hot this summer. I'm not saying I play well or anything... just that my mentality is the way to get better is to run and try my damndest to get every ball :P That tends to end with my sweating ;)

wao 06-04-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaldwellYSR (Post 6595048)
I'm relatively new to tennis. I play 4-5 days a week for 3+ hours a day. Nothing competitive (yet) just for fun. I have been thinking about getting a tattoo on the inside of my forearm. A little closer to the elbow than this one and about that size. On the forearm of my dominant arm (left).


After talking to the artist and finding information online, everybody is saying I need to keep it out of the sun while it heals but I don't need to keep it bandaged up the whole time either. Which basically sounds to me like "don't play tennis for the two week healing period". There are worse things in life I know but I really don't want to take two weeks off from playing tennis just for a tattoo! So here's my questions to y'all:

What kind of precautions should I take to keep a new tattoo protected while playing tennis?

Will all the movement and sweating on my arm cause any damage to the tattoo?

You have to keep it out of direct sun while it is healing. Talk to the tattoo artist. I played with a long sleeve dry fit shirt and no issues.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wao (Post 6595852)
You have to keep it out of direct sun while it is healing. Talk to the tattoo artist. I played with a long sleeve dry fit shirt and no issues.

Schweet thanks

Seth 06-04-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaldwellYSR (Post 6596003)
Schweet thanks

If you use the term "schweet" and are looking at a forearm tattoo, my advice is to sleep on it.

amiright?

Otherwise, Fearsome Forehand is dead on.

CaldwellYSR 06-04-2012 06:55 PM

So proper grammar on a casual forum determines the responsibility required to get a tattoo? I'm not trying to be defensive or anything but I really don't understand the logic behind y'all trying to talk me out of something I've been thinking about and wanted for over a year. I'm not being irresponsible in this decision. I'm taking my time and learning as much as possible before getting this tat.

dParis 06-05-2012 06:17 AM

I'm getting a grocery list tattooed on my forearm. I gave it long, if not very intelligent, thought. It's something I intend to use the rest of my life - as I'll need bread, eggs, bacon, OJ, etc. every week or two.

Please don't judge me. I just want to know if I should serve underhanded until the tattoo heals.

mrtrinh 06-05-2012 06:31 AM

dont worry about what others say about tattoos, that's a personal issue with them. I have ink (half sleeve) that recently got done too. Best thing to do is not play tennis for at least a week until the scabbing period is over. Last thing you want is for the scab to crack which can mess up the ink. After its done scabbing wear a long sleeve to cover up the tattoo for about another week until its completely heeled.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse