Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gator Updates (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427013)

Gator John 06-06-2012 06:03 PM

Gator Updates

Longtime Gator fan here. Hoping the new coaching search will bring in a new era for Gator tennis!

Any news on the search?

Satsuma Illini 06-06-2012 08:51 PM

Read on Gator Country that the word on the street is Pepperdine's Adam Steinberg. It sure is taking a lot more time than I thought it would though. Wonder what the hold up is? Lots of candidates lined up at the door?

floridatennisdude 06-07-2012 02:58 AM

4 solid candidates with solid resumes, one that stands out to me. I would assume that an offer will go out today and details finalized by this weekend. New guy should be in place by early next week.

Gatorluver 06-07-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6605510)
4 solid candidates with solid resumes, one that stands out to me. I would assume that an offer will go out today and details finalized by this weekend. New guy should be in place by early next week.

Can you tell us the four candidates? Any idea where Jackson will go? I was hoping Spencer would stay with the coaching change but he's visiting Michigan this week and likes it so far-damn it.

floridatennisdude 06-07-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6605986)
Can you tell us the four candidates? Any idea where Jackson will go? I was hoping Spencer would stay with the coaching change but he's visiting Michigan this week and likes it so far-damn it.

It's not fair to the candidates or their current teams to name names. I've never been into that.

Sucks about spencer, but if you are in contact with him...tell him to at least meet with the new coach. If my preferred candidate gets selected, he would probably like the opportunity to work with him. And once the announcement is official, I will confirm whether it is whom I am in favor of.

I have no word on Jackson. I'd think he'd go to a lower level school or maybe jump over to the women's side. I wish him the best as I do really like him personally.

Gatorluver 06-07-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6606272)
It's not fair to the candidates or their current teams to name names. I've never been into that.

Sucks about spencer, but if you are in contact with him...tell him to at least meet with the new coach. If my preferred candidate gets selected, he would probably like the opportunity to work with him. And once the announcement is official, I will confirm whether it is whom I am in favor of.

I have no word on Jackson. I'd think he'd go to a lower level school or maybe jump over to the women's side. I wish him the best as I do really like him personally.

Fair enough on the new coach and I will try to get a message to Spencer. He's a smart kid and I know he liked Gainesville and his teammates alot, so he will probably hold off on making a final desicion until a new coach is announced.

floridatennisdude 06-08-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6606395)
Fair enough on the new coach and I will try to get a message to Spencer. He's a smart kid and I know he liked Gainesville and his teammates alot, so he will probably hold off on making a final desicion until a new coach is announced.

Tell him to stay, my candidate was leaving campus with a big smile on his face. From what I understand an agreement was made verbally and a contract is being drafted. Should be in Gainesville full time in the next couple weeks.

cali_tennis_machine 06-08-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6608855)
Tell him to stay, my candidate was leaving campus with a big smile on his face. From what I understand an agreement was made verbally and a contract is being drafted. Should be in Gainesville full time in the next couple weeks.

Current college coach or are they looking elsewhere?

Gatorluver 06-08-2012 11:27 AM

Brian Shelton is the new coach according to the boys on the team. Anyone know anything about him?

ClarkC 06-08-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6611610)
Brian Shelton is the new coach according to the boys on the team. Anyone know anything about him?

Bryan (not Brian) Shelton is a very good coach for the Georgia Tech women, including a national title a few years ago. Much tougher recruiting situation for him in his current job than he would have in the Florida men's job, if this rumor is true.

bluetrain4 06-08-2012 11:35 AM

Really? Didn't know he was a candidate. Good pick up.

Played college tennis at Georgia Tech.

Former tour player. Played 8-9 years. 2 ATP singles titles, 2 doubles titles. 4th Round Wimbledon was his best Slam performance. High Rank of 55.

Has been the womens coach at Georgia Tech and won a national title in 2007 -- GT was basically nothing before he came. In addition to the national title, has maintained GT as a solid program, always in the Top 25, often higher.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Shelton

kme5150 06-08-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6611610)

Bryan Shelton is the is head women's coach at Georgia Tech.

Gatorluver 06-08-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 6611636)
Bryan (not Brian) Shelton is a very good coach for the Georgia Tech women, including a national title a few years ago. Much tougher recruiting situation for him in his current job than he would have in the Florida men's job, if this rumor is true.

Oppps sorry I just googled him-Bryan Shelton. He looks like a player and I really like that NCAA title!

floridatennisdude 06-08-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6611690)
Oppps sorry I just googled him-Bryan Shelton. He looks like a player and I really like that NCAA title!

He's taken a team that never won an NCAA Tourney match to win a title a few years later. And he took a player to the individual title that was a pretty solid under dog. That's why I've been telling you to have Spencer talk to him. This guy is good!

He has coached college, USTA HP, and toured with pros like Mali Vai Washington. He has done everything at GT with very tough academic avenues to offer women (engineering or management).

And he and Roland are going to be perfect compliments to one another...especially now that Roland doesn't have to recruit against the guy that just locked down the top recruiting class in the country.

The only concern is how he will handle going from 8 full schollys to divvying up 4.5.

Gatorluver 06-08-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6611723)
He's taken a team that never won an NCAA Tourney match to win a title a few years later. And he took a player to the individual title that was a pretty solid under dog. That's why I've been telling you to have Spencer talk to him. This guy is good!

He has coached college, USTA HP, and toured with pros like Mali Vai Washington. He has done everything at GT with very tough academic avenues to offer women (engineering or management).

And he and Roland are going to be perfect compliments to one another...especially now that Roland doesn't have to recruit against the guy that just locked down the top recruiting class in the country.

The only concern is how he will handle going from 8 full schollys to divvying up 4.5.

That has to be tough coming from the women's side. I like everything I read about him so far. He does seem to have quite a few foreign players on his GT roster, and you know I favor Florida kids on our rosters! I hope he takes advatage of the local talent in the upcoming years.

floridatennisdude 06-08-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorluver (Post 6611806)
That has to be tough coming from the women's side. I like everything I read about him so far. He does seem to have quite a few foreign players on his GT roster, and you know I favor Florida kids on our rosters! I hope he takes advatage of the local talent in the upcoming years.

haha, yea currently that is true. Look at his incoming class though:

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w...052912aab.html

All are Americans and 2 from in-state.

bluetrain4 06-08-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6611935)
haha, yea currently that is true. Look at his incoming class though:

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w...052912aab.html

All are Americans and 2 from in-state.

Seemingly an odd time to leave with that excellent class coming in, but I understand that people want to move on to different challenges, and Florida men and the SEC is quite a different challenge. He's won a national championship at GT, coached an NCAA champion, and he's leaving the program in great shape with that class. So, maybe it's not a bad time to leave.

Clemson_tennis 06-08-2012 01:09 PM

He probably would like to coach mens tennis now.

floridatennisdude 06-08-2012 01:09 PM

Release is official: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=23283

bluetrain4 06-08-2012 01:12 PM

Nice how the Florida womens coach recommended Shelton.