Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   **** prices for vintage Agassi stuff (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427126)

IA-SteveB 06-07-2012 01:33 PM

**** prices for vintage Agassi stuff

Back when playing in high school, I always wore the Agassi Challenge Court stuff, starting with the famous hot lava/black combo. I was just browsing **** recently and was amazed that people were asking over $200 for the jean short/biker short combos he used to wear. Shirts are also above $200.

WildVolley 06-08-2012 10:11 AM

This is not at all surprising when you think about it. First, this stuff is primarily bought by collectors because it has become iconic. A lot of it was destroyed or lost so the supply is small. Then, don't forget that we've had fairly significant inflation.

All-in-all, if you'd saved your stuff you probably would have made an OK return considering you enjoyed wearing it back then. However, you probably would have made a lot more money by just sticking your dollars it in the stock market, and a lot more than that by just sticking the money in precious metals. The collectors market has not been kind in recent years. I remember when there was a massive bubble in baseball cards. That's basically collapsed. Cards that were trading for hundreds of dollars can now be had for about $10.

Loud 06-13-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 6607318)
Back when playing in high school, I always wore the Agassi Challenge Court stuff, starting with the famous hot lava/black combo. I was just browsing **** recently and was amazed that people were asking over $200 for the jean short/biker short combos he used to wear. Shirts are also above $200.

The shirts were $100 retail back in the day.

LanEvo 06-13-2012 05:36 PM

Start getting Fed stuff, his prices will go up just like that in time as well.

MAXXply 06-13-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 6630316)
Start getting Fed stuff, his prices will go up just like that in time as well.

It's hard to summon up the time or enthusiasm to "collect" Fed or Nadal gear from the shops, when apparel lines are updated/released every quarter or so. If the brands maintained some kind of exclusivity or limited their product cycles then maybe it would be worth our while to collect stuff. I just can't be bothered to get the latest Fed/Rafa shirt if I know another whole line is only 3 months away. These days I will only pickup a Fed shirt from thrift shops in the knowledge of an easy flip to adolescent fanbois.

I too was rocking the Agassi gear back in the day and my biggest apparel regret was to offload it to the thrift shops way back then.

LanEvo 06-13-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6630429)
It's hard to summon up the time or enthusiasm to "collect" Fed or Nadal gear from the shops, when apparel lines are updated/released every quarter or so. If the brands maintained some kind of exclusivity or limited their product cycles then maybe it would be worth our while to collect stuff. I just can't be bothered to get the latest Fed/Rafa shirt if I know another whole line is only 3 months away. These days I will only pickup a Fed shirt from thrift shops in the knowledge of an easy flip to adolescent fanbois.

I too was rocking the Agassi gear back in the day and my biggest apparel regret was to offload it to the thrift shops way back then.

If you can afford it, why not? I personally do not have any type of clothing pertaining to any players, because I cannot afford it and yea I cannot afford it. I mean paying $60+ for a sports polo is a bit ridiculous to me. Same with spending $100+ on a pair of shoes.

Herve 06-13-2012 08:55 PM

Iconic apparel

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6630429)
It's hard to summon up the time or enthusiasm to "collect" Fed or Nadal gear from the shops, when apparel lines are updated/released every quarter or so. If the brands maintained some kind of exclusivity or limited their product cycles then maybe it would be worth our while to collect stuff.

I totally agree. The main difference between the iconic apparel from the 80s and 90s is that lines lasted much longer then, a whole season / year, with only a few color iterations but same iconic design.

Think of the Adidas Lendl / Edberg stuff from the 80s and you can associate each design with a particular year / season.

The Nadal /Federer stuff is just a quick fading blur of designs and colors. The rate at which their apparel is updated means it won't have the same lasting impact.

MAXXply 06-13-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve (Post 6630660)
I totally agree. The main difference between the iconic apparel from the 80s and 90s is that lines lasted much longer then, a whole season / year, with only a few color iterations but same iconic design. Think of the Adidas Lendl / Edberg stuff from the 80s and you can associate each design with a particular year / season. The Nadal /Federer stuff is just a quick fading blur of designs and colors. The rate at which their apparel is updated means it won't have the same lasting impact.

Yes, exactly. I've moaned about this in previous posts. Today's pro gear is just meaningless...I couldn't tell you what Fed or Rafa wore last year, maybe a blue coloured polo? No hang on it was teal coloured..oh no it was red with one Swoosh on the chest.
Whereas we both could probably bore others here in recalling every signature range of Lendl, Edberg etc. Bonus points for Steffi Graf's gear:)

Herve 06-13-2012 09:27 PM

Iconic designs of the 80s and 90s

Let's try this, a little contest for the experts:

Find the correct year / player for the following apparel:

Sergio Tacchini New Young Line
Nike Checkerboard (black & blue)
Nike checkerboard (ripped layers design, multi-color)
Puma stacked discs
Adidas Argyle
Adidas the face
Adidas SE
Adidas topography
Reebok lateral lines
Mizuno Eagle
Sergio Tacchini Archer
Fila rainfall
Nike hot lava

That should do for now. :-)

MAXXply 06-13-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve (Post 6630700)

That should do for now. :-)

McEnroe 84---Sergio Tacchini New Young Line
McEnroe 85---Nike Checkerboard (black & blue)
McEnroe 86?---Nike checkerboard (ripped layers design, multi-color)
Becker late 86?---Puma stacked discs
Lendl 83/84?---Adidas Argyle (followed by the adidas Lendl diagonal blocks 85)
Lendl 87---Adidas the face
Edberg 87---Adidas SE
Edberg 90?---Adidas topography (I called it the WW2 Blitzkrieg bombing map)
Chang/Sanchez/Mecir et.al up to Stich, 86-91---Reebok lateral lines (longtime design)
Lendl 89/90?---Mizuno Eagle (before the 89 adidas Lendl IL multicolour block)
Sampras 90---Sergio Tacchini Archer
Becker 89---Fila rainfall
Agassi 90---Nike hot lava

Any others? How'd I go? :)

jokinla 06-13-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loud (Post 6630286)
The shirts were $100 retail back in the day.

I certainly didn't pay $100 for them back in the 80's.

Herve 06-13-2012 10:59 PM

Iconic designs trivia

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6630705)
McEnroe 84---Sergio Tacchini New Young Line
McEnroe 85---Nike Checkerboard (black & blue)
McEnroe 86?---Nike checkerboard (ripped layers design, multi-color)
Becker late 86?---Puma stacked discs
Lendl 83/84?---Adidas Argyle (followed by the adidas Lendl diagonal blocks 85)
Lendl 87---Adidas the face
Edberg 87---Adidas SE
Edberg 90?---Adidas topography (I called it the WW2 Blitzkrieg bombing map)
Chang/Sanchez/Mecir et.al up to Stich, 86-91---Reebok lateral lines (longtime design)
Lendl 89/90?---Mizuno Eagle (before the 89 adidas Lendl IL multicolour block)
Sampras 90---Sergio Tacchini Archer
Becker 89---Fila rainfall
Agassi 90---Nike hot lava

Any others? How'd I go? :)

Excellent performance!

The Mizuno Eagle was 1990, the ripped checkered pattern by Nike was worn by Johnny Mac and Agassi in 1987, The Adidas SE design was worn in 1988and the Becker Puma design was worn in 1987.

Come to think of it, i think 1987 was the best vintage year ever!

MAXXply 06-13-2012 11:14 PM

^^Yeah, around 1987-88 it becomes a bit of blur, there was so much cool stuff happening. And we haven't even gotten to the shoes! We can pretty much trace Lendl's shoe history from the Superga, the adidas Grand Prix, and just two or three(?) iterations of the Lendl signature shoes then culminating in the Mizunos. But that's another thread...

Not forgetting:
--Edberg's ranges c.91-94(?) I liked his "airbrush" shirt when he won the USO. His "Scottish plaid" one was pretty ordinary though.
--Becker's "Bouncing balls" complete with BB logo, Puma, 88-89 pre-Fila?

Honourable mentions:
Nike's Supreme Court line ("SC")
Adidas "ATP" line, early 80s - Curren, Nastase et.al.
It was good how Adidas back then had the marketing foresight to position a generic but still instantly recogniseable apparel range for all their other ATP pros - the shirts that Tim Mayotte, Marty Davis and Leif Shiras used to wear, for instance.

Herve 06-13-2012 11:22 PM

Iconic designs

I second that.

I would add the 1987 Pat Cash ST lined top, 1988 Mats Wilander ST multi-colored stripy top, anything by Le Coq Sportif worn by Noah.

BTW, did you know that Fila has re-released the 1989 Becker range for the 2nd time?

It's a moden take on a classic line, but it's beautifully made, but for some reason very hard to find.

2nd half of the 90s were mostly fugly and loud, noughties till now, yawn!

MAXXply 06-13-2012 11:29 PM

Ha! The Pat Cash "squiggly lines" Tacchini shirts. The Wilander multicolour thick vertical stripes - that he kinda ruined when he wore his sleeveless pullover (muscle top in today's language) at the 88 USO trophy presentation - it kinda turned me off that range, nice though it was...LOL

Bobby Jr 06-14-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve (Post 6630700)

Sergio Tacchini New Young Line - mid 80s
Nike Checkerboard (black & blue) - 85-86
Nike checkerboard (ripped layers design, multi-color) ?
Puma stacked discs ?
Adidas Argyle - 83-86 GOAT range of shirts imo - the first iteration was about 83 then they elongated one stripe up over the shoulder from about 85
Adidas the face - 86 US Open right through for about another year
Adidas SE - 90-91
Adidas topography - if you mean the blue-ish map looking one then 1990, Edberg
Reebok lateral lines - 88-91ish - Went for a long time this range from memory. Never liked it.
Mizuno Eagle - From beginning of 1990 then variations went for about 18 months
Sergio Tacchini Archer - 89 US Open through to Queens 1990
Fila rainfall
Nike hot lava - 1990 French Open and clay swing prior

Attempts above. This was my growing up era in tennis so I have owned many of these designs.

Bobby Jr 06-14-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6630812)
Honourable mentions:
Nike's Supreme Court line ("SC")

Their shirts and shoes were amongst the best Nike ever made. The first Courier SC shirts I've never seen on the auction sites... I still have one of the originals in pretty good condition I bought in Japan in 1993... Courier wore it in 2 or 3 different colour variants.

Bobby Jr 06-14-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6630825)
Ha! The Pat Cash "squiggly lines" Tacchini shirts. The Wilander multicolour thick vertical stripes - that he kinda ruined when he wore his sleeveless pullover (muscle top in today's language) at the 88 USO trophy presentation.

There were both vertical and horizontal versions but Wilander wore the horizontal ones. I have the whole (upper half of the) outfit - shirt, vest and tracksuit.

Wilander's best range imo was the late 87 up to the French Open 88 range with the scribble on the chest.

Herve 06-14-2012 12:55 AM

Iconic designs

My bad, you are right, the Wilander 88 ST design was horizontal, not vertical, as previously stated. I own the vest, still looking for a polo.

I wasn't that keen on the Jason Pollock squiggly lines after that. Cash and Wilander wore it. There are a few polos available right now in Italy on the bidding site.

Good mention about the Nike SC line, it's worth remembering

MAXXply 06-14-2012 03:36 AM

The adidas designers must've been a pretty cultured bunch back in the day. I'm sure art school was part of their education - the Lendl "face" design c.1987 is highly reminiscent of Salvador Dali, the Edberg "SE" was inspired by Catalan artist Joan Miro and yeah, I reckon the Tacchini squiggly line range is Jackson Pollock-ish in its paint-splattery way. Even Lendl's last adidas range, the colourful "IL" square is a take on Dutch artist Piet Mondrian's geometric paintings.

It was nice of Nike to build Courier's range around his love for baseball, and IIRC, the Cincinnati Reds. The pinstripes looked great and that pennant-style "SC" logo was just the schizz for an impressionable fanboi like me c.93-94. It helped that seemingly all the Instruction Pros featured in Tennis Magazine at the time were decked out head to toe in the SC range. People like Tim/Tom? Gullickson and the biomechanics expert, Jack Groppell. Dennis van der Meer OTOH, must've had deals with adidas apparel.