Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Prestige Classic Cap Grommets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427130)

kt3448 06-07-2012 01:52 PM

Head Prestige Classic Cap Grommets

Where can I purchase grommets for this racket? Asked TW, and the responded it's no longer available. Looking for full cap or normal size grommets. Thanks

vsbabolat 06-07-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kt3448 (Post 6607377)
Where can I purchase grommets for this racket? Asked TW, and the responded it's no longer available. Looking for full cap or normal size grommets. Thanks

You can use the black CAP Grommets of the MG/YT Prestige Mid.

kt3448 06-08-2012 10:39 AM

OK... Thanks.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-HMGPMG.html

ruup2it 11-14-2012 08:02 AM

So when it comes to needing a grommet for our prestige tour classic mid, this is the one that is no longer available, that is the dark maroon color that matches the red Prestige Tour.

I had this set for many years, just as a spare for my PCT, but I figured I wouldn't be needing them much since these grommets have a guard that goes all around the racket. It's so tough, I'll never wear it down. But that wasn't the case for replacing, it's the grommet holes where it gets worn thin and crack is where it contacts the racket when the racket is strung. Sure it can be tubed, but only so many times until replacing is needed.

So I thought why not order from TW one of each model and have a look, to see if there's any difference. I've put them all side by side from the original to see if the holes all align, which they all do. The length may be a little off by 1 mm off, or half a mm. However, when I put on the Youtek IG prestige grommet, it stretched ever so slightly and the fit was snug and perfectly fine.

The only difference in the shape of the grommet is the i-prestige and the flex point prestige.

This is the difference at the throat of the i prestige.

This is the flex point prestige where it has a little taper for the flex point prestige.

ruup2it 11-14-2012 08:03 AM

So without for further ado, may I present to you, my prestige tour with the Youteck IG prestige grommet.

Fearsome Forehand 11-14-2012 06:33 PM

Please post bigger and slower loading pics. :roll:

The brown ones (TK52) are all but impossible to find as they have been out of production for 10+ years. If you find any, some clown will be asking $25 to $50 for them.

The black ones are fine and I think they look better than the brownish ones. Not a fan of the clear ones or the flex points myself but to each his own.

I just ordered a set of the Microgel/YT grommets (that are black) for one of my Prestige Tours as the previous owner did not see the benefits of using head tape and the original TK52's are worn through to the frame. $5 set.:)

Stein 11-14-2012 11:58 PM

The MG and Youtek Prestige MID grommets will fit perfectly:

Available at TWE for about 6 euro
The White IG grommets wil also fit if you like ;-)

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 02:22 AM

The white/clear CAPS are probably the worst thing to ever happen to the Prestige Mid line, and that's including all that Innegra/Youtek/hairgel/pinhole/T1000-terminator crap.

Head, you can throw your latest marketing nonsense "technology" into the Prestige Mid, but you've got to stop turning such a classic racquet into a hipster racquet.

Fearsome Forehand 11-15-2012 06:12 AM

Aha! You are the one who is hoarding Prestige mids. :)

I have some rackets that I hoard, too. I have 25+ of one classic frame which is kind of nuts. Selling them in dribs and drabs to get down to a reasonable number.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7017620)

I have some rackets that I hoard, too. I have 25+ of one classic frame which is kind of nuts. Selling them in dribs and drabs to get down to a reasonable number.

I am too, hoarding 4 well-kept PC600, 1 of which is still wrapped in plastic. Just waiting for the fool who will pay me $500-$600 for each frame.

Stein 11-15-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7017620)

:-)

ruup2it 11-15-2012 01:12 PM

You guys have anything else in your closets. ;)

I didn't think you guys felt so strongly against the hipster look. ;)

Let it all out guys, let's see them.

Unfortunately, there isn't a prestige classic owner registry like car collectors so we can find out where all the rackets are. Where else are these missing rackets, that aren't on the tennis courts?

I should be all set for PCT grommets for awhile, unless they rerelease the TK52 color again. I thought ordering 2 sets of each version grommets was a little overdoing it. I feel better now.

How did you guys know these'll be classics? Not just because it says so on the rackets. Maybe when the production moved to China?

Stein 11-15-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruup2it (Post 7018397)

How did you guys know these'll be classics? Not just because it says so the rackets. Maybe when the production moved to China?

didn't know before.
I just acquired these beautys lately
Also got a bunch of i.Prestiges
My personal frames are the Graphite Pro and the Pro Special Edition.

ruup2it 11-15-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein (Post 7018479)
didn't know before.
I just acquired these beautys lately
Also got a bunch of i.Prestiges
My personal frames are the Graphite Pro and the Pro Special Edition.

Are you saying the picture isn't all of them?
You think the I-prestige may be a classic like the classic tours?

I've recently demo'd a recent model, and it just didn't play the same, so no new prestiges for me. I'll be sure to check with you guys when I need another classic.

Gonna pay to play.

Passion4Tennis 11-15-2012 06:33 PM

Stein, I'm envious of your collection of PC600s! I only have two right now,
but I would like to get about 4 or 5 more in good condition over the next year.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 06:46 PM

My humble collection

Passion4Tennis 11-15-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7018910)
My humble collection

Not too shabby. You've got two more PCs than me. I know the Blx six.one is your main racquet, but do you ever hit with the Prestiges?

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passion4Tennis (Post 7018948)
Not too shabby. You've got two more PCs than me. I know the Blx six.one is your main racquet, but do you ever hit with the Prestiges?

I bolded the word "ever" because I grew up and developed my strokes using a Prestige Mid in one form or another. Started with the i.Prestige Mid and moved backwards in time onto the PC600.

Do I currently use the PC600? No, and not likely in the foreseeable future.

But do believe me when I say they have seen years of court time, and they hold a sentimental value to me. Even with the usual wear and tear of being on the court, they're easily 9/10. I take care of my frames. And of course, one of them is still wrapped in plastic. Prestige Mids are known to be "soft" and tends to warp when stringing, so I kept one frame fresh just in case that happened to me.

jaydog23 01-14-2013 03:37 PM

Hello all, reading this thread I had one question: is there a difference in weight between the MG/YT grommets and the TK52's? Would love to know. Thanks.

ruup2it 01-14-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydog23 (Post 7120352)
Hello all, reading this thread I had one question: is there a difference in weight between the MG/YT grommets and the TK52's? Would love to know. Thanks.

I've posted the weights just last week, but the title must have threw you off.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425876

I've placed a link to this thread on that one, so now the circle is complete. :D