Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Chatter from Peanut Gallery Costs Match (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427402)

TimothyO 06-09-2012 11:23 AM

Chatter from Peanut Gallery Costs Match

On Friday night my wife played her second round, flex league, doubles playoff match. They split the first four games but my wife and her partner felt under extreme pressure and thought they might lose.

After game four a friend of the opposing team arrived. Her divorce just came through, she had been drinking in celebration, and although a very experienced 4.0 she began offering advice and commentary from the stands.

At first my wife and her partner were annoyed by the intrusion. Then the opposing team fell apart! They were completely distracted by their drunken friend and unable to get her to quiet down. My wife and her partner then cruised to an easy victory in 2 sets, thankful for the commentary from the peanut gallery.

It was so bad at one point the drunk in the stands was cheering my wife's winners! :shock:

After the match the opposing Team finally chided the friend telling her she cost them the match. But the three were then seen in the parking lot drinking champagne in celebration of the divorce. :)

OrangePower 06-09-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc4.0 (Post 6614990)
I don't understand why this is an problem for you. First, if someone attends my match as a recreational outlet, I'd be very flattered; that almost never happens. I enjoy people cheering me on. If they are distracting my opponent, I wouldn't encourage it but that's not the case here.

If you don't like people drinking alcohol, go comment on an AA message board. That's seems to be your issue.

I don't think the OP is bothered by this; seems like he is just sharing a humerous situation. In fact his wife benefited from it.

But I agree with what you're saying - basically, one should be able to tune out stuff happening outside the court and just focus on playing.

Maui19 06-09-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc4.0 (Post 6614990)
I don't understand why this is an problem for you. First, if someone attends my match as a recreational outlet, I'd be very flattered; that almost never happens. I enjoy people cheering me on. If they are distracting my opponent, I wouldn't encourage it but that's not the case here.

If you don't like people drinking alcohol, go comment on an AA message board. That's seems to be your issue.

Ummm...way off base here.

tennis_ocd 06-09-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6615121)
But I agree with what you're saying - basically, one should be able to tune out stuff happening outside the court and just focus on playing.

Drunk women celebrating their new single status are always welcome ;)

TimothyO 06-09-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6615121)
I don't think the OP is bothered by this; seems like he is just sharing a humerous situation. In fact his wife benefited from it.

Orange has it correct, I'm just relating an amusing story. No grand idea here. My wife and her partner found the incident funny too, at least once they started running away with the match!

Some folks need to chillax! :)

Now I'm off to mix up a frozen adult beverage!

TimothyO 06-09-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 6615322)
Drunk women celebrating their new single status are always welcome ;)

Exactly!

My wife and her partner found it endearing that the three friends kept the match in perspective and celebrated together after the loss. They were very friendly ladies keeping their friend in good spirits after a tough time. Thus the post-match champagne.

floridatennisdude 06-10-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6615546)
Exactly!

My wife and her partner found it endearing that the three friends kept the match in perspective and celebrated together after the loss. They were very friendly ladies keeping their friend in good spirits after a tough time. Thus the post-match champagne.

Do you mean to say that there are things in life bigger than USTA league matches? People actually have lives outside of tennis? And are friends with people that aren't on their team?

That sounds like blasphemy on these boards.:)

zcarzach 06-10-2012 05:32 AM

Stupid spectators.

Loose Cannon 06-10-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6615525)
Orange has it correct, I'm just relating an amusing story. No grand idea here. My wife and her partner found the incident funny too, at least once they started running away with the match!

Some folks need to chillax! :)

Now I'm off to mix up a frozen adult beverage!

Im wondering if you and your wife would have found it to be such a fun story had they lost. Probably would have filed grievances.......

Seemes like the 'No coaching' card was just ready to be pulled, but alas, it wasnt necessary.......I adapt well from opponents having a cheering-coaching section. Gives me a Me vs the world type of feel........

Loose Cannon 06-10-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6616075)
Do you mean to say that there are things in life bigger than USTA league matches? People actually have lives outside of tennis? And are friends with people that aren't on their team?

That sounds like blasphemy on these boards.:)

I agree....

I couldnt have brought myself down to be able to socialize with someone.....anyone....that distracted me and may or may not have helped me lose. I don't care if it was a teammate, an uncle, or my brother......you just messed up my record. No celebrating or socializing is ever understood after a loss. Cant squeeze my mentality into that tiny box

Mike Y 06-10-2012 10:18 AM

Yeah if there are people actually willing to watch a recreational match involving me, that is cool by me, they can pretty much say or do whatever they want, within certain limits of course.

Once in a mixed doubles match my partner's guest cheered for her loudly after a 1st serve fault, on break point at 3-4 in the 3rd set. That distracted her and she double-faulted, and we lost the next game to lose the match. We all had a laugh afterward about how this person cost us the match.

But if you let the crowd or outside events distract you then it is your own fault. Stuff happens in a match, you have to keep your focus.

TimothyO 06-11-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 6618101)
Im wondering if you and your wife would have found it to be such a fun story had they lost. Probably would have filed grievances.......

Seemes like the 'No coaching' card was just ready to be pulled, but alas, it wasnt necessary.......I adapt well from opponents having a cheering-coaching section. Gives me a Me vs the world type of feel........

Given the lack of insight displayed in your post I truly doubt that you adapt well to anything.

However, your feelings of "me vs the world" may explain your take on the story: pure negativity based on a completely false reading of the situation and huge, inaccurate assumptions.

For example, there was the time my wife's opponents were not only receiving coaching from the stands the opponents were also conducting a running commentary on my wife's play DURING the points! Opponents and spectators were treating the match as one big clinic on doubles tactics and techniques. Since you obviously know of that situation what's your take on her reaction in that incident? ;) Please, do expound upon it. I'm eager to read your analysis of that particular match and her reaction to it.

TimothyO 06-11-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Y (Post 6618667)
Yeah if there are people actually willing to watch a recreational match involving me, that is cool by me, they can pretty much say or do whatever they want, within certain limits of course.

Once in a mixed doubles match my partner's guest cheered for her loudly after a 1st serve fault, on break point at 3-4 in the 3rd set. That distracted her and she double-faulted, and we lost the next game to lose the match. We all had a laugh afterward about how this person cost us the match.

But if you let the crowd or outside events distract you then it is your own fault. Stuff happens in a match, you have to keep your focus.

I believe the rule is that there's no such thing as a let caused by noise or speech outside the court. People not on the court can be as rude as they want. Construction work, car stereos, car alarms, barking dogs, talking spectators...none of it is an excuse for a let.

Loose Cannon 06-11-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6621629)
Given the lack of insight displayed in your post I truly doubt that you adapt well to anything.

However, your feelings of "me vs the world" may explain your take on the story: pure negativity based on a completely false reading of the situation and huge, inaccurate assumptions.

For example, there was the time my wife's opponents were not only receiving coaching from the stands the opponents were also conducting a running commentary on my wife's play DURING the points! Opponents and spectators were treating the match as one big clinic on doubles tactics and techniques. Since you obviously know of that situation what's your take on her reaction in that incident? ;) Please, do expound upon it. I'm eager to read your analysis of that particular match and her reaction to it.

What part didn't you understand????:confused:

The fact that your wifes team managed to win this one.....it comes off as funny or 'Look at what we did'!!!!:confused: Almost as if she conquered some worldly obstacle.......when you know good and wel.....at the time of all the distractions......you....or perhaps she......was probably borderline teary eyed- and fuming at this huge mis-carriage of justice, and was just waiting to make 1001 excuses if you happened to lose. There is a such thing as sore losers and sore winners as well............remove yourself from all the over the top dramatics to try and paint a picture of the Damsel in Distress.

jswinf 06-11-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 6622181)
What part didn't you understand????:confused:

The fact that your wifes team managed to win this one.....it comes off as funny or 'Look at what we did'!!!!:confused: Almost as if she conquered some worldly obstacle.......when you know good and wel.....at the time of all the distractions......you....or perhaps she......was probably borderline teary eyed- and fuming at this huge mis-carriage of justice, and was just waiting to make 1001 excuses if you happened to lose. There is a such thing as sore losers and sore winners as well............remove yourself from all the over the top dramatics to try and paint a picture of the Damsel in Distress.

Well-chosen username.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6621629)
there was the time my wife's opponents were not only receiving coaching from the stands the opponents were also conducting a running commentary on my wife's play DURING the points! Opponents and spectators were treating the match as one big clinic on doubles tactics and techniques. Since you obviously know of that situation what's your take on her reaction in that incident?

Well, what was your wife's reaction? She sounds like a level-headed sort so I assume she shrugged it off. But you don't stipulate, which leaves my imagination free to speculate, was there gunplay?