Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Talk Tennis Europe - English (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Asics Gel Solution Speed sizing (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427528)

Dags 06-10-2012 12:23 PM

Asics Gel Solution Speed sizing

Hi Stefan,

My last 3 pairs of Asics shoes have all been EU 44:

- Gel Resolution 2: fitted fine
- Gel Resolution 3: fitted fine
- Gel Game 3: were tight - I could have done with a size larger

I'm looking at the Gel Solution Speeds next. Based on the above, what size would you guys recommend?

Cheers.

Torres 06-10-2012 12:53 PM

Is this for the mods only? If not, I've found the Speeds to be longer in length than the GR3s and fractionally looser. I still take the same size in both though. The difference is simply that the GR3s tie up 'tight' and your foot feels fully locked in, whereas the Speeds feeling slightly more roomy and slipper like.

Dags 06-10-2012 02:00 PM

All comments very welcome - thanks for your input!

The only reason I posted here is that the Gel Games threw me regarding Asics sizing: I figured that as TWE stock the GR3, GG3 and Solution Speed, they would be best placed to compare.

Torres 06-10-2012 02:58 PM

Not sure if the thread below helps? There are some comments about sizing:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407466

TWE Staff 06-10-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks for your helpful postings Torres!
IŽll check with our Team as well.
Stefan/TWE

Dags 06-11-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6619370)
Not sure if the thread below helps? There are some comments about sizing:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407466

Thanks for taking the time to dig out that thread and post it, but it's actually one of the reasons I started this one. :oops: A couple of guys say the fit is true to size, a couple of others say they don't... who do you believe? (well, obviously you'd believe Torres as he's you, but I don't have that luxury :-))

Based on that thread I think I'd stick with a 44, but I'd still be very interested to hear what TWE recommend.

Power Player 06-11-2012 11:28 AM

GR3s fit me perfectly. Like gloves in my true size. I got the same size in Solutions and they were too narrow and physically hurt my feet on the court. I do have wide feet though.

Dags 06-12-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6623119)
GR3s fit me perfectly. Like gloves in my true size. I got the same size in Solutions and they were too narrow and physically hurt my feet on the court. I do have wide feet though.

You know when someone gives you information that's both helpful and confusing in equal measure... ;-)

Of course, I have faith that Stefan and TWE will clear things up! And if not, I'll just take pot luck.

Power Player 06-12-2012 02:16 PM

Well Im not sure how I confused you, but basically for me the new asics are too narrow in the same size I wore before.

Dags 06-12-2012 02:26 PM

In the thread that Torres linked, the two people that said they didn't fit true to size say it's because they were too big. That they were too small for you means we've now covered the whole spectrum! I suspect I shall aim for the middle and keep my fingers crossed.

TWE Staff 06-12-2012 09:48 PM

Here are our thoughts:
The Asics Solution Speed lighter, fits closer to the feet than the resolution but there is less material. And the material is more flexible. In our opinion this is the reason it seems to fit.

Hope this helps.
Stefan/TWE

jim e 06-14-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWE Staff (Post 6628059)
Here are our thoughts:
The Asics Solution Speed lighter, fits closer to the feet than the resolution but there is less material. And the material is more flexible. In our opinion this is the reason it seems to fit.

Hope this helps.
Stefan/TWE

Just exactly what does your comment "In our opinion this is the reason it seems to fit" mean?? Does this mean order larger, smaller or true to size? You did not say what the "it" exactly is in your comment.
You really did not answer any question as some said to order smaller, others said true to size and still others said to order larger.Like Dags said the whole spectrum has been covered.Should be simple answer.

TWE Staff 06-15-2012 12:43 AM

In our opinion the fit is lengthwise the same. Width is narrower, but because of the different material it is not that much narrower.

Thanks, Stefan/TWE

Torres 06-15-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6632781)
Should be simple answer.

I don't think there is necessarily a simple answer because everyone's foot shape, szie and gait is going to be slightly different.

Personally, I feel that the Solutions are fractionally longer in length (but not 0.5 size longer), have a fractionally narrower sole width (though not 0.5 size narrower), though the upper is the same width, none of which causes me to change my size.

But what feels slightly longer/shorter/narrower/tighter/looser to one person may feel fine or not fine to someone else. The materials used between the 2 shoes are also slightly different (the Solution upper is softer IMO) which is also going to affect how they feel in terms of fit.

Ultimately, you just have to try them on. Only a general guide can be given via the internet as its unrealistic to think that the nuances of the each shoe's fit for a particular person's foot can be accurately explained via the internet.

Dags 06-15-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for participating. I am going to try the 44's. My order to TWE will be made in a week or so, and I'll update this thread when I've got them and given them a whirl.

Now, what size bag to get...

jim e 06-15-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 6635128)
Thanks to everyone for participating. I am going to try the 44's. My order to TWE will be made in a week or so, and I'll update this thread when I've got them and given them a whirl.

Now, what size bag to get...

As far as bags are, bigger is better.
I started with a smaller one, then bigger, then bigger till I ended up eventually with a monstercombi, as once you put a change of cloths, shoes, a few cans of balls, a couple towels, (1 for shower, and one for game to wipe racquet and hands), soap, shampoo, deoderant, phone,few racquets,tape measure (nets are typically not set properly), etc. etc, it all adds up, and zippers can only pull it in so much before something gives.
Bigger is better.

Dags 07-06-2012 01:30 PM

First impressions then!

Length fits the same as my GR3's. Width is narrower. In general walk-around-the-house mode, this was fine: they just felt a little snug, but not in a bad way. First half hour on court, and I had a fair bit of discomfort. The narrow bit isn't where I'd expect at all - it's on the outside of the shoe where my arch is. I had to loosen the laces to stop this pinch, and was ok after that. In contrast, the toebox was pretty roomy. Usually if a shoe is too narrow for me, that's where I feel it.

The insoles are probably the thickest I've ever seen out of the box. They seemed to offer decent support, so I tried them in 'stock' form tonight. They're pretty good, but I had a small grumble from my shins near the end so I'll try switching them out for my Superfeet next time. I could only fit the blue ones in the GR3's - I'm hoping that the green might fit in these.

I need more time with the shoe, but in general it felt very responsive: much closer to the GR2 than GR3.

So to answer my own question about the sizing: length was true to size, width was narrower than the GR3's (or the GR2's for that matter). Going up a size would have been no good for me, as the extra length would have been too much. For those of us with somewhat wide feet, there is at least a break-in period: the upper is pretty flexible though, so hopefully this won't be too much of a problem for me. If you have particularly wide feet, you're probably better looking elsewhere.

TWE Staff 07-07-2012 01:39 AM

Thanks for the update on this and your review!
Stefan/TWE