Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   To bee or not to bee (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427564)

sureshs 06-10-2012 05:56 PM

To bee or not to bee

Today my partner started the serve when a bee attacked the returner's face. He turned away and shooed it off, but the serve was on its way and landed in. He did not touch it. We played a let.

What would you have done?

IA-SteveB 06-10-2012 06:09 PM

I would have done the same. Good sportsmanship.

dcdoorknob 06-10-2012 06:54 PM

Yeah, I'd play a let. Even in a 'competitive' match.

"A bee attacked my face" seems like an acceptable reason to play a let imo.

BobFL 06-10-2012 06:57 PM

I have no idea. Maybe you should ask Cindy....

AutoXer 06-11-2012 04:15 AM

My partner(we'll call him Tom) was serving. The receiver(we'll call him Bob) was in the ready position. Tom served and Bob "claimed" he wasn't ready because a bee attacked his face. Bob wanted to play a let, but I had my handy rulebook in my tennis bag. The USTA big ole book o tennis rules stated that since Bob was in the ready position it was an ace, but I was too tired to get my rule book and didn't have time to explain the rule to these simpletons, so we argued just to have some drama during my match and then we played a let.

Xisbum 06-11-2012 04:22 AM

In Paul McCartney's immortal words, "Let it bee, let it bee, let it bee."
:-)

Or should we say "Bee it let, bee it let, bee it let"?

JoelDali 06-11-2012 04:25 AM

I think you should stop using the 88 and get back to your roots.

I think you should GOATify Cindy too.

Taxvictim 06-11-2012 05:15 AM

Even if the receiver was in the ready position, a bee attacked him. If you believe that's what happened, then it should be a let. It's no different than if the receiver had been in the ready position and a ball had rolled onto the court during the serve. Something from the outside came into the court and disrupted play.

CaldwellYSR 06-11-2012 05:24 AM

I'd just give them the let and be done with it. Even in a tournament or league play... If the guy got attacked by a bee and you saw him react to that and make no move to go for the ball then there's no question... Now if he tried to go for the ball and missed then claimed it was some bee's fault then it might be a different story.

sureshs 06-11-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 6619991)
I have no idea. Maybe you should ask Cindy....

What would Cindy have done?

zcarzach 06-11-2012 05:32 AM

For sure a let if it was obviously true, and not just a Chris Farley routine.

jswinf 06-11-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6619818)
Today my partner started the serve when a bee attacked the returner's face.

Congratulations. It's hard to train a bee that well. :)

zcarzach 06-11-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswinf (Post 6622076)
Congratulations. It's hard to train a bee that well. :)

I could see a CSI episode where someone uses bee pheremones on an opponent's racquet handle or something to make the bees attack. Maybe they've already done it.

sureshs 06-12-2012 03:09 PM

I don't think the bee stung him. It got near his eyes and he panicked of course. It may not have been a bee after all, who knows?

mikeler 06-12-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc4.0 (Post 6623271)
You didn't mention whether the bee actually stung the guy. We have so many bugs on our courts, it's rarely a let if someone is distracted by one of them. The other day, we were playing doubles when an entire HIVE of bees descended on our side of the court. There were at least a thousand of them, no kidding. I just kept playing, while my partner went into a frenzy. We won the point, and the discussion of a "let" was never had. The bees were only there for that point, then they moved on off toward the west.

on the other hand if you want to be nice about it, no problem with that. I'm just so used to being "attacked" by bees, gnats, wasps, mosquitoes, birds, etc. that I'd only stop the point if something actually stung me, and then would not necessarily expect to replay the point. We have lots of birds who occasionally defecate on us, and the point continues.

Glad I play in an urban environment here in Florida. Growing up in suburban Florida and playing tennis on summer nights was just scary!

NLBwell 06-12-2012 10:33 PM

In Houston, we had to flick the Copperheads off the court in the morning with our rackets. Never had one of the snakes crawl back onto the courts while playing that I remember, though. Would that have been cause for a let? What if it was a Water Moccasin?

sureshs 06-13-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6627384)
Glad I play in an urban environment here in Florida. Growing up in suburban Florida and playing tennis on summer nights was just scary!

Alligators from the nearby lake? Or just mosquitos?

mikeler 06-13-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6628929)
Alligators from the nearby lake? Or just mosquitos?

Where I grew up, there were alligators in the canal behind the courts. It was always an adventure retrieving a ball back there that did not make it all the way into the water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc4.0 (Post 6628960)
poisonous snakes? think i might draw the line there. Do you also play in pointy-toe alligator boots? LOL

During early spring, we have millions of baby frogs too, that hop all over the court. We try to flick them off, but oftentimes they get squished underfoot. I always feel guilty.

I would say that our worst critters are actually the "no-see-ums". At dawn and dusk, these teeny biting gnats descend in clouds upon the courts, and they'll bite through the strongest insect repellant. I have courts at my house, which are close to a mangrove swamp - it's pretty unbearable in the hotter months.

Gotta love florida tennis! At least we can play outside 365 a year (other than the rain). I prefer fighting off critters, to fighting for an indoor court.

Luckily where I play they spray for insects. I forget about all the critters at night until I play at a neighborhood court.