Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Some of these 'old timers' at country clubs are evil! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427655)

Torres 06-11-2012 02:23 AM

Some of these 'old timers' at country clubs are evil!

Looking for a new club at the moment so I went to one club's 'social session' on Saturday afternoon to get an idea of what it might be like.

Now I've never taken social sessions particularly seriously. As far as I'm concerned they should be a opportunity for a bit of cordiality away from competition, and an opportunity to practice strokes, mechanics, form, stay loose for upcoming competitive play etc.

At this new place, the social session was mostly made up of older folk, but most of them were taking everything ultra seriously and had an evil eye on every point, even though they were mostly bunting the ball and hitting everything mid court.

What really started to annoy me was that they were calling practically everything that hit the lines, 'out'. Not balls right on the outside edge of the line, but ones that were flush on the lines, and even some that were on the inside edge of the lines.

Are these older folk mad? Do they have such egos that they're not prepared to lose graciously?

I called them on it a couple of times, but they kept on doing it. As I was technically a guest, I thought I'd better not too much of a fuss, but it did annoy me, so although I felt a bit bad, I decided hit the 'on' switch, and started hitting loads of droppers (which they couldn't get to because they couldn't run) which made them angrier and angrier (the woman in particular), and then I started cranking up the pace of my groundstrokes and started hitting kickers on my serve which annoyed them even more.

Somehow I don't think this club is for me, but this sort of stuff seems crazy.

spaceman_spiff 06-11-2012 02:42 AM

Unfortunately, a lot of people take social nights far more seriously than they should because they never play in leagues or tournaments. For them, social nights are their match days. This leads to hooked calls and other nonsense.

Generally (though not always), the better players are far more laid back. If there were very few good, laid back players at club night, then it's not a good sign. It means finding decent hitting partners will be difficult, and any time spent at social nights will be like what you experienced.

spot 06-11-2012 03:52 AM

You were really getting worked up over line calls at a social mixer?

jk175d 06-11-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6621057)
You were really getting worked up over line calls at a social mixer?

playing tennis is supposed to be fun. I don't care how casual the situation is, it is much more fun when no one is cheating.

Xisbum 06-11-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk175d (Post 6621639)
playing tennis is supposed to be fun. I don't care how casual the situation is, it is much more fun when no one is cheating.

+1
Totally agree, but as an officially "old" person, I can also see how my generation might get a bit competitive when on court with some good younger players, even in a social setting. Cheating, however, should never be part of the equation; I see it as testing your abilities against someone you know is better. Deliberately bad line calls, etc., are just bad form, period.

zcarzach 06-11-2012 05:09 AM

They are old and probably can't see very well. I wouldn't play with them again if I were you. It isn't worth the hassle. And if they get angry about being unable to track down droppers, they shouldn't be out there.

CaldwellYSR 06-11-2012 05:26 AM

Not sure where you're from but where I'm from old country clubbers are evil by default... just the way it goes.

Torres 06-11-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcarzach (Post 6621739)
They are old and probably can't see very well.

One or two bad calls I can live with. Heck even I make the odd bad call sometimes. Seven or eight and there's some BS going on especially when on half of those I'm looking down the time. They just don't seem to understand that you have 100% sure of the call, to make the call. Either that or they're making up their own rules.

zcarzach 06-11-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6621861)
One or two bad calls I can live with. Seven or eight and there's some BS going on especially when on half of those I'm looking down the time.

Believe me, I'm totally with you and I'm not defending the old dudes. If you are too old to properly see the lines, you are too old to play competitive tennis, unless you only play fellow old dudes who suck at making calls as badly as you do.

Power Player 06-11-2012 05:42 AM

Just remember the social mixer is rarely if ever going to have a player that is high level. I have never seen one. So I would not judge the club by that experience.

I actually kind of enjoyed it just because I worked on looping corner to corner shots with lower pace to the ladies across from me. They were actually very good at getting the ball back over and it was pretty laid back stuff. Of course, everyone was rather nice so that makes it far more fun.

arche3 06-11-2012 05:56 AM

You have to learn to manage the point. You hit it to them to keep the point going as long as possible. And only hit it good enough to win a point ONLY when you need to win a point. Chances are you will not need to do that even as they will miss with a mid paced fed ball right to them after a few shots anyways. They have to feel like they are actually in the point. There is no reason to make them feel like you are vastly superior. Of course you are if they can't even run. The trick is to make them feel like they have a chance to win.

jfish 06-11-2012 05:59 AM

Growing old is for sure, growing up is another thing

jswinf 06-11-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6621935)
You have to learn to manage the point. You hit it to them to keep the point going as long as possible. And only hit it good enough to win a point ONLY when you need to win a point. Chances are you will not need to do that even as they will miss with a mid paced fed ball right to them after a few shots anyways. They have to feel like they are actually in the point. There is no reason to make them feel like you are vastly superior. Of course you are if they can't even run. The trick is to make them feel like they have a chance to win.

There is wisdom in this post. It's good practice to hit a decent stroke off a ball with no pace, to "manufacture" a good point without being condescending...it's not 'veins in your teeth' competition, probably wouldn't want to do it all the time, it's not for everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6620629)
I decided hit the 'on' switch, and started hitting loads of droppers (which they couldn't get to because they couldn't run) which made them angrier and angrier (the woman in particular), and then I started cranking up the pace of my groundstrokes and started hitting kickers on my serve which annoyed them even more.

Somehow I don't think this club is for me, but this sort of stuff seems crazy.

I don't think that club is for you, either, unless there are a bunch of good players there who wouldn't be caught dead at the Saturday afternoon social session.

I'm afraid I can't work up much sympathy for you. Kind of like if you show up at the nursing home shuffleboard tournament and try to steal the trophy.

TennisDawg 06-11-2012 06:42 AM

Out stroking old ladies and men at the Club sounds like a waste of time to me. Better to just play a little pitty/pat hit and giggle and play the set out and avoid the scene next time.

goober 06-11-2012 06:49 AM

Avoid the social tennis scene at the club, unless you are there truly for the social aspect. Don't go in expecting anything other than low level, rec tennis. You have to let people hooking you, being very competitive just roll off you and try to make some social contacts, hang out with your wife or whatever you want to get out of it other than actual tennis.

If you want to see if the club is for you check out the leagues, ladders, inteclub teams. Ask to play some better players at the club.

spaceman_spiff 06-11-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6621898)
Just remember the social mixer is rarely if ever going to have a player that is high level. I have never seen one. So I would not judge the club by that experience.

A lot of UK clubs will have two or three evenings/weekend mornings set aside as adult social play, where all the courts are booked up. Because of the frequency and booked up courts, they usually bring out a large enough number of players to give you a good feel for the club.

Of course, the very top players never go to these social nights. But, if a club has a good number of solid players, you'll see at least a few of them at the social nights/days. If the club has a large number of social nights every week and you don't see any good players there, it's a bad sign.

sureshs 06-11-2012 07:17 AM

Old people are overrated. Give me young ones any day.

jdubbs 06-11-2012 09:38 AM

I play social dubs at my club sometimes when I can't find someone to play or I don't feel like grinding out a singles match.

I'm usually far better than most of the players, but it gives me an opportunity to work on different serves, volleys, overheads. And have everybody ask me where I played in college (I didn't) so it's good for my ego. But sometimes it's pretty boring. Oh well. Bad tennis still beats hitting the treadmill.

nyc 06-11-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6621935)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfish (Post 6621946)
Growing old is for sure, growing up is another thing

Manage your Tennis time smarter. A social hit is exactly that - don't focus on winning, focus on socializing. There's more to life than Tennis.

In order to get challenged, play with younger, faster, better players.

Do what feels right - but I guess 20% social and 80% competitive Tennis should make everyone fit, happy, balanced, and (somewhat) amiable.

cknobman 06-11-2012 01:27 PM

I play a country club social league as well.

I have learned over the last year to in no way take it serious or "competitive".

I use it as a time to try tactics and play styles I would not normally in a match. It gives me valuable "match like" scenarios to try and improve my game.

I get along with everyone great and if I loose some matches to an older/inferior opponent I actually feel good if they arent a @ss about it and I see how happy they are.