Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tourna-Tac Overgrips suck! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427733)

mm916157 06-11-2012 08:52 AM

Tourna-Tac Overgrips suck!

Not sure why I am posting this, but my fingers keep typing.

I am an overgrip connoisseur, who is on a permanent quest for the perfect overgrip.

My hand gets sweaty, so I am constantly replacing the grips and there is nothing like washing away a loss like ripping that soggy grip off.

Anyway, We all know that all "pros" use the blue tourna grip which is cloth like, a lame color blue and great for absorption. These grips are not my style, as I like the tacky feel, as it helps me hold my racket with a looser hand for better groundstrokes.

My quest had hit an amazing plateua with the Yonex Super Grap, which IMO is the absolute best overgrip out there for every single reason.

I took a risk and tried the tourna tac as it is important to try new things. These grips suck!!!
1. Why would you not have the ends cut or tapered?
- you obviously know that it will have to be cut to fit perfectly.
2. Super slimy!
3. Get brown and dirty after minutes of play.
3. Thinner which is not good for me, since I use a smaller handle grip to make up for my yonex overgrip.
4. Not long enough? Why do I need to get the XL size, to fit a 4 1/4 handle...Dumb

Anyway, my rant is over and I am happily buying another 30 pack of yonex overgrips.

Say Chi Sin Lo 06-11-2012 10:51 AM

Most of the things you whined about can be compensated, worked around, or they don't impact how the grip will perform for you.

1) Learn how to grip blunt ends grips. Long-time tournagrip users have gotten used to it. Cut-ends are a luxury.

2) 1st real assessment of the grip. Good job. "Slimy" surface is not for everyone.

3) Learn how to wash your hands properly then.

4) 2nd good assessment of the grip, you're on fire! Thinner grip can change the size and feel.

5) You're not pulling the grip hard enough as you grip. It's shorter than most, yes. But I don't have problems getting to the top.

mm916157 06-11-2012 04:29 PM

or just buy the yonex super grap, the best grips around and go play some tennis.

A Defenseless Creature 06-11-2012 04:54 PM

The Tac grips are not all that useful for heavy sweaters, but are fine in cooler weather for most players.

Say Chi Sin Lo 06-11-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm916157 (Post 6624064)
or just buy the yonex super grap, the best grips around and go play some tennis.

They are great grips.

zapvor 06-12-2012 12:01 PM

i liked the tac when i tried them out in the winter. supergrap is good too. i am undecided still

SwervinVolleyer 09-09-2012 12:52 PM

I've been enjoy the white-colored Tourna Tac grips for some time now. I keep a towel in the back fence, and wipe off occasionally once sweaty. I used to use the SuperGraps (Great initial feel), but I feel the TTs actually last a little longer for me.

My question is this: do the BLUE or BLACK Tourna Tac grips feel different, or have less durability/life than the WHITE grips?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'm looking to purchase some asap! Thanks!

Rozroz 09-10-2012 07:33 AM

the Tourna Tac are great for off summer and non humid weather.
for summer i switch to Super Grap.

Power Player 09-10-2012 08:31 AM

SuperGrap and regular Tourna are the Goats.

Ramon 09-10-2012 08:54 AM

Supergrap is very good. I still have some laying around. But please don't tell everyone that Supergrap is good for the hot, humid summers like we have in Florida. In my experience, it's okay for that if you wear a wristband and have some Prince grip enhancer or rosin in your bag to keep your hands dry, but you can't rely on Supergrap the way you can with more absorbent grips.

floide 09-10-2012 09:16 PM

Never liked them either. Too slimy. Supergraps are so nice, but I stick with Wilson Pros for the feeling.

beernutz 09-10-2012 11:59 PM

I sweat a ton and use Tourna Tac even during the summer. I don't get the slimy comment because they don't feel that way to me at all but different strokes... Are you sure you're removing the outer plastic cover before applying them? :)

During the rest of the year I get a couple of weeks of play out of each grip but in the summer I have to change them out probably every other time I play. I previously used regular Tourna, Wilson Pro, and SuperGrab tut I feel I get the most mileage out of and have the best feel with Tourna Tac.

bcart1991 09-11-2012 05:01 AM

Ditto to what beernutz said. I sweat like my ex-wife in church, and a good wristband helps keep the grips from getting saturated too quickly in the summer.

mctennis 09-11-2012 04:15 PM

I use MasterWrap overgrips. These are great. They don't get that soggy slick feel to them. They seem to last a while so that's an even bigger plus as well.

Power Player 09-11-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6885309)
Supergrap is very good. I still have some laying around. But please don't tell everyone that Supergrap is good for the hot, humid summers like we have in Florida. In my experience, it's okay for that if you wear a wristband and have some Prince grip enhancer or rosin in your bag to keep your hands dry, but you can't rely on Supergrap the way you can with more absorbent grips.

I wear wristbands and use a resinbag

rdis10093 09-11-2012 05:36 PM

yonex for the win

mikeler 09-12-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6885309)

I wear wrist bands and rotate through them if my arms get too wet. I also towel off quite a bit between points.

Rozroz 09-12-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6894351)
I wear wrist bands and rotate through them if my arms get too wet. I also towel off quite a bit between points.

right.
on extreme humid weather:
rotate wristband every 2 games + towel off my whole arm thoroughly even under the wristband.
that's pretty safe for me.

Power Player 09-12-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6894351)

Do you hang a towel on the fence basically?

mikeler 09-12-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6894520)
Do you hang a towel on the fence basically?

Some matches I do. I put them on the short side fences and so I'll towel off every other point.