Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question for Brit regarding racquets comparison (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428118)

ductrung3993 06-14-2012 04:02 AM

Question for Brit regarding racquets comparison

Hi Brit, after reading the reviews I've noticed that you have playtested all the racquets that I'm concerned about so please help me finding a new stick :)

My stick of choice has been the BLX98 and when I'm on or still fresh it just feel like heaven but then not so much when I get tired like during the 3rd set...Recently I came off an injury too so it even grew tougher than me. So I tried my mate's Pure Drive and notice that I've never serve that good before and it's relatively easier to rally as well. Thus I decided to stop being stubborn and move on to some more open racquets like these. Could you please compare them thoroughly for me? Thank you so much in advance

1/ Volkl Organix V1
2/ Donnay Formula 1
3/ Babolat Pure Drive

Bonus: X-Red 99, how do they stack up against those 3. Based on the reviews I think that it won't suit me as much as these 3 but boy it's the sexiest stick I have ever seen in my life! :oops:

Kind regards.

TW Staff 06-14-2012 09:53 AM

ductrung3993,

Wow! You have picked three of my favorite racquets after my current racquet of choice (Yonex VCORE 100 S). I will do my best to compare.

We will start with the Babolat Pure Drive. I think this was my favorite racquet of the three. It is a beast of a racquet with lots of easy access to power. When combined with a poly, I found it to have a perfect combination of power and control. But warning, there is lots of power from this racquet and took me about an hour of hitting to get control! I don't have any arm issues but did find the racquet to be a little stiff. My favorite shots to hit were my serve and groundstrokes.

The Donnay Formula 100 was such a fun racquet to hit with. I felt this was much more comfortable to hit with than the Pure Drive. There was still power but not as much as the Pure Drive which could be a good thing for you coming from a Wilson Blade. I enjoyed doubles with this racquet as I found a little bit more feel especially on my volleys. Overall, this and Pure Drive are very comparable.

The Volkl Organix V1 was a surprise favorite for me. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. First thing I would note is that it is significantly lighter than the other two racquets. Jason also playtested the racquet and loved it but he customized it a little with some extra weight. That being said, I found at times when hitting with harder flatter players, the stability wasn't where I liked it to be. However, it was the most comfortable racquet to play with. I also found it to be the most maneuverable. I found the power comparable to the Pure Drive. It would definitely be a big jump for a Wilson Blade but could work in your favor with a little customization.

Now the Donnay X-Red 99 is a completely different beast. It was more of a control racquet with great feel. I loved hitting volleys and slice. I loved it in doubles. I have to say again the feel was quite different than anything I had ever hit before. It is not normally a racquet in my spec range but definitely opened my eyes to different possibilities. And yes I agree, it is quite a beauty!

If you need any more help or have any questions, let me know! Hope that helps!

Brittany, TW

ductrung3993 06-15-2012 03:23 AM

Tks Brit, that was very informative.

I just compared the review of the Pure Drive GT and the 2012 one and was quite confused at such a huge SW difference (330 vs 308, respectively). Were they both measured by the same formula?

Next, how do the Donnay fares with the PD on serving? And lastly, could you please give some cmts about your Yonex as well? Thank you very much.

lvuong 06-15-2012 08:04 AM

Hi Brit,

I also used Vcore 100s. The swing weight is quite low. Do you feel it is a shortcoming when you are at net or facing heavy balls ? I also have some questions regarding your specifications:

1. Do you modify your frame ?
2. I know you playing a hybrid but did you try a full bed of multi in Vcore 100s before ? What is your comparision ?
3. Your ideal string setup and tension for the Vcore 100s.

Thanks

TW Staff 06-15-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 (Post 6633753)
Tks Brit, that was very informative.

I just compared the review of the Pure Drive GT and the 2012 one and was quite confused at such a huge SW difference (330 vs 308, respectively). Were they both measured by the same formula?

Next, how do the Donnay fares with the PD on serving? And lastly, could you please give some cmts about your Yonex as well? Thank you very much.

ductrung3993,

Both Pure Drive versions were measured using our same RDC machine. I haven't hit with the 2011 version (but I did use a previous version about 6 years ago). I do know with the 2012 version that the 308 swingweight is right where I like those specs to be. It is very maneuverable and I had no trouble with stability against hard hitters.

On to serving question between the Donnay Formula 100 and Babolat Pure Drive 2012. I enjoyed serving with both racquets for different reasons. With the Babolat, I think I was serving the biggest I have ever served in my life. There was lots and lots of easy power. I was able to direct it to exactly were I wanted to go. The Donnay Formula 100 was also a joy to serve with. It was a little bit more comfortable to serve with. I didn't think I got as much power as the Pure Drive but enough to be adequately satisfied. I did notice I was able to hit a variety of serves better with the Donnay. I found I could hit slice and kick serves with confidence.

For me, the Yonex VCORE 100 S has the perfect combination of power and control. I was able to get power with ease whether I was on the offense or reaching for a ball on the defense (with of course some extra spin!). I absolutely loved this racquet on my serve. I was able to get a good mix of flat, powerful first serves and lots of spin for reliable second serves (basically the perfect combo of the Babolat and Donnay). When I picked up the racquet for the first time, I immediately felt comfortable with it.

Brittany, TW

TW Staff 06-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvuong (Post 6634333)
Hi Brit,

I also used Vcore 100s. The swing weight is quite low. Do you feel it is a shortcoming when you are at net or facing heavy balls ? I also have some questions regarding your specifications:

1. Do you modify your frame ?
2. I know you playing a hybrid but did you try a full bed of multi in Vcore 100s before ? What is your comparision ?
3. Your ideal string setup and tension for the Vcore 100s.

Thanks

lvuong,

Yeah, I am glad you enjoy the Yonex VCORE 100 S too! While the swing weight is quite low that is generally how I like it to be. Personally, I have had zero problems facing players that hit hard flat balls or heavier balls. I really enjoy this racquet up at net and love it for doubles. I have never had problems with stability.

To answer your questions, no I do not modify my frame in any way. I keep it in stock form and have thoroughly enjoyed it (haven't found a racquet I liked as much in the last 6 months of playtesting).

I have not tried a multi in the racquet yet. One of the main reasons is that I like the control I receive from the poly or hybrid combo as I find this racquet can be powerful at times. As I am still experimenting with string, I will definitely try it out. So far, I have kept my tension around mid and haven't really played with it.

Here is the link to another thread where I was talking about my string preference:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=426822

Brittany, TW

ductrung3993 06-21-2012 08:28 AM

Tks Brit, and sorry that forgot this thread for a while.

The Babs' stats just confused me a little bit. I dont really believe that 3 more grams in strungweight and 2pts head heavier could result in a huge bump of 22gr in the sw but well I'll take your word for it anway :)

Boricua 06-21-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6635102)
lvuong,

Yeah, I am glad you enjoy the Yonex VCORE 100 S too! While the swing weight is quite low that is generally how I like it to be. Personally, I have had zero problems facing players that hit hard flat balls or heavier balls. I really enjoy this racquet up at net and love it for doubles. I have never had problems with stability.

To answer your questions, no I do not modify my frame in any way. I keep it in stock form and have thoroughly enjoyed it (haven't found a racquet I liked as much in the last 6 months of playtesting).

I have not tried a multi in the racquet yet. One of the main reasons is that I like the control I receive from the poly or hybrid combo as I find this racquet can be powerful at times. As I am still experimenting with string, I will definitely try it out. So far, I have kept my tension around mid and haven't really played with it.

Here is the link to another thread where I was talking about my string preference:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=426822

Brittany, TW

"You said: "While the swing weight is quite low that is generally how I like it to be."

Why is this? You get more maneuverability and better access to faster swing speed with low swingweight? Or is there another reason?

Thanks.

TW Staff 06-21-2012 03:56 PM

Boricua,

I like a lower swing weight for a couple reasons. One is that in the racquets I like to play with I feel I get better maneuverable. The other is that I grew up playing with racquets with a low swing weight so I am used to it.

Brittany, TW

tedescm1 10-02-2012 06:16 AM

Yonex VCORE 100 S

Brittany,

Could you please give me your opinion on which of the following racquets was the most arm friendly? The Pure Drive is a arm killer.

1. Donnay Formula 100
2. Volkl Organix v1 mid
3. Yonex VCORE 100 S

Also, are the Volkl Organix v1 mid and Volkl Power Bridge V1 Mid very similar?

Tx,

Mike:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6635066)
ductrung3993,

Both Pure Drive versions were measured using our same RDC machine. I haven't hit with the 2011 version (but I did use a previous version about 6 years ago). I do know with the 2012 version that the 308 swingweight is right where I like those specs to be. It is very maneuverable and I had no trouble with stability against hard hitters.

On to serving question between the Donnay Formula 100 and Babolat Pure Drive 2012. I enjoyed serving with both racquets for different reasons. With the Babolat, I think I was serving the biggest I have ever served in my life. There was lots and lots of easy power. I was able to direct it to exactly were I wanted to go. The Donnay Formula 100 was also a joy to serve with. It was a little bit more comfortable to serve with. I didn't think I got as much power as the Pure Drive but enough to be adequately satisfied. I did notice I was able to hit a variety of serves better with the Donnay. I found I could hit slice and kick serves with confidence.

For me, the Yonex VCORE 100 S has the perfect combination of power and control. I was able to get power with ease whether I was on the offense or reaching for a ball on the defense (with of course some extra spin!). I absolutely loved this racquet on my serve. I was able to get a good mix of flat, powerful first serves and lots of spin for reliable second serves (basically the perfect combo of the Babolat and Donnay). When I picked up the racquet for the first time, I immediately felt comfortable with it.

Brittany, TW

TW Staff 10-02-2012 02:16 PM

tedescm1,

I am a big fan of all three of those racquets (plus the Pure Drive). For me, the Volkl Organix V1 Mid was probably the most comfortable with the Donnay Formula 100 being a very close second. That being said, I think the Organix V1 is definitely on the lighter side and would need some weight added (I found a lack in stability due to the lack of weight). Donnay Formula 100 feels very similar to the Pure Drive but with a ton of comfort and I thought it was a very comparable racquet. I obviously have a soft spot in my heart for the Yonex VCORE 100 S as it meets all my tennis needs and while is the least comfortable out of the three, I definitely find it more comfortable than the Pure Drive ( I have mine strung currently with a full bed of poly). Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps.

Brittany, TW

tedescm1 10-02-2012 05:22 PM

Thanks for the input and reply

Just one more question.

Is the Volkl Power Bridge V1 Midplus similar to theVolkl Organix V1 Midplus.

The Volkl Power Bridge V1 Midplus is on sale for $99.00.are they almost the same thing?

tx,

Mike

TW Staff 10-03-2012 09:05 AM

tedescm1,

Oops, sorry I forgot to answer that question! While I haven't hit the Power Bridge version, I have consulted other playtesters who have and they said that yes they are very similar.

Brittany, TW

jorel 10-03-2012 10:06 AM

is brit the new chris?

tedescm1 10-12-2012 01:09 PM

Yonex VCORE 100S

Hi Brittany,

Can you tell me if a Yonex VCORE 100S is stiffer than a Wilson Pro open.
I played with both of them and I could not really tell which was more arm friendly. Of course they both had different strings which make a comparison really hard.

Thanks in advance,

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6931841)
tedescm1,

I am a big fan of all three of those racquets (plus the Pure Drive). For me, the Volkl Organix V1 Mid was probably the most comfortable with the Donnay Formula 100 being a very close second. That being said, I think the Organix V1 is definitely on the lighter side and would need some weight added (I found a lack in stability due to the lack of weight). Donnay Formula 100 feels very similar to the Pure Drive but with a ton of comfort and I thought it was a very comparable racquet. I obviously have a soft spot in my heart for the Yonex VCORE 100 S as it meets all my tennis needs and while is the least comfortable out of the three, I definitely find it more comfortable than the Pure Drive ( I have mine strung currently with a full bed of poly). Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps.

Brittany, TW

TW Staff 10-12-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedescm1 (Post 6950822)
Hi Brittany,

Can you tell me if a Yonex VCORE 100S is stiffer than a Wilson Pro open.
I played with both of them and I could not really tell which was more arm friendly. Of course they both had different strings which make a comparison really hard.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Mike,

I would have to say that they feel pretty similar in stiffness to me as well. Personally, I would describe both racquets as being on the stiffer side (playing with a full bed of poly) but they are definitely not as stiff as let's say a Babolat Pure Drive.

Hope that helps!

Brittany, TW