Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's the ruling here? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428157)

Yourtenniscoach 06-14-2012 11:00 AM

What's the ruling here?
 
Experienced something last night in a match that I've never encountered in 17 years of tennis! I wasn't sure what to here so I gave him the point. What's the correct ruling here:

I was serving the ball and my opponent was putting some rediculous backspin on his return (in part because he really didn't know how to hit a ball properly). He once put such rediculous backspin on the ball that it hit the ground and before I could get to the ball it bounced back over the net. Had it either continued on its normal path or even just died I would have been able to get there but the way this happend I wasn't able to even have a chance at the ball.

Is this just his point? Curious how it should be scored. I've never seen anything like this before.

dizzlmcwizzl 06-14-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourtenniscoach (Post 6632068)
Experienced something last night in a match that I've never encountered in 17 years of tennis! I wasn't sure what to here so I gave him the point. What's the correct ruling here:

I was serving the ball and my opponent was putting some rediculous backspin on his return (in part because he really didn't know how to hit a ball properly). He once put such rediculous backspin on the ball that it hit the ground and before I could get to the ball it bounced back over the net. Had it either continued on its normal path or even just died I would have been able to get there but the way this happend I wasn't able to even have a chance at the ball.

Is this just his point? Curious how it should be scored. I've never seen anything like this before.

His point ... although had you been able to get to it you could have hit it even after it crossed the net provided you did not touch his court.

jonnythan 06-14-2012 11:05 AM

Straight up his point. The ball bounced on your side of the net and then hit the ground again before you touched it. Remember it doesn't matter what it hits once it hits in bounds on your side - the point is his when it hits the netpost, the side fence, your tennis bag, or his side of the court.

cknobman 06-14-2012 11:06 AM

His point.

Once the ball touches your court you must make legal contact with it and it must land in the other opponents court otherwise you loose point.

Cindysphinx 06-14-2012 11:14 AM

That must have been some serve.

So. Out with it. Did you win the match? :)

RadicalMPfan 06-14-2012 11:26 AM

If you hit the ball after it bounces back to the opponents courts, can you balance your self with your racquet on the other side?(without touching the net of course)

dizzlmcwizzl 06-14-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalMPfan (Post 6632146)
If you hit the ball after it bounces back to the opponents courts, can you balance your self with your racquet on the other side?(without touching the net of course)

no ... neither you nor your equipment can touch the opponents playing surface or the net.

jonnythan 06-14-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6632157)
no ... neither you nor your equipment can touch the opponents playing surface or the net.

Imagine lobbing back a very wide shot from outside the net and then rushing forward to play the return from right in front of your opponent.

Loose Cannon 06-14-2012 11:35 AM

Had a guy that did this in HS a few times.....

It was called 'Ancient Chinese Spin'

Yourtenniscoach 06-14-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6632110)
That must have been some serve.

So. Out with it. Did you win the match? :)

Lost 1-6, 7-6, 4-6


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse