Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hesh-Bopana-Paes.. Olympic controversy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428369)

rk_sports 06-15-2012 09:15 PM

Hesh-Bopana-Paes.. Olympic controversy

The issue of Paes/Bhupathi is an old (and enuf already) affair... and this is another horrible way to come out again...

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...8230&zoneid=25

Bhupathi told Times Now -- "He (Paes) publicly and privately stabbed me in the back in November, last year, and things can't be turned around. We don't speak and have no camaraderie,"

Anyone know any insights into that November incident.. and other internal details? :confused:

Sentinel 06-15-2012 10:00 PM

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/no...upathi/962530/

is what i read this morning. What surprises me is that Bhupathi says the decision to pair Paes and him is based on ego and not logic, whereas to me it looks like Bhupathi has the ego issue in playing with Paes.

We don't have Paes' angle on this, but i do remember that a couple years back Hesh and Bopanna were revolting against Paes being the DC captain. Doesn't speak too well for Hesh/Bops.

Can someone tell me what are the achievements of the Hesh/Bops pair ? Do they stand a chance of a medal ?

sureshs 06-16-2012 10:28 AM

These guys are given 3 lakh rupees a month for training? Does it really cost that much for court time, equipment, and coach?

rk_sports 06-16-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6636273)
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/no...upathi/962530/

is what i read this morning. What surprises me is that Bhupathi says the decision to pair Paes and him is based on ego and not logic, whereas to me it looks like Bhupathi has the ego issue in playing with Paes.

We don't have Paes' angle on this, but i do remember that a couple years back Hesh and Bopanna were revolting against Paes being the DC captain. Doesn't speak too well for Hesh/Bops.

Can someone tell me what are the achievements of the Hesh/Bops pair ? Do they stand a chance of a medal ?

Here is Paes's response --

"I have no reaction to the recent statements made by Mahesh Bhupati to the media. I have always maintained that I will play with whoever the selection committee and AITA choose and this continues to be my stand," said a statement sent by Paes exclusively to NDTV on Saturday.

He, though, added that he would prefer to partner Rohan Bopanna but that too for professional reasons.

"It is a well known fact that when asked by the AITA, I have expressed my preference to play with Rohan Bopanna as my partner in the Olympics 2012, based on his physical fitness and big serve.

"Winning a medal at the Atlanta Olympics is the most cherished memory I have in my tennis career. To play for our flag, and represent India for the 6th time at the Olympics, is my greatest honour. I will, as I always have in the past, put my best foot forward," said Paes.

BobFL 06-16-2012 11:31 AM

Indian people here I would like to ask you guys something. What is their socio-economical background? I am talking about caste system and stuff. Thanks in advance.

Rabbit 06-16-2012 01:48 PM

I think it was Gimmelstob who related the story on TV. Paes told Bhupathi that he was going to partner with Bopana for the upcoming year's ATP schedule. Bupathi asked about the Olympics and Paes said "I plan on playing the Olympics with you".

Bhupathi then turned around and called Bopana with this development and the two agreed to play the year together kind of giving Paes a dose of his own medicine.

ChipNCharge 06-16-2012 02:32 PM

Was it Mike Bryan that Paes referred to as "an angry little man"?

Sentinel 06-16-2012 10:24 PM

Bhupathi doesn't trust Paes

NEW DELHI: Indian tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi has refused to play with Leander Paes at the Olympics, saying he does not trust his erstwhile partner, a report said Saturday.
The All-India Tennis Association (AITA) on Friday named the ageing duo for the men’s doubles event in London even though Bhupathi had publicly stated he wanted to play with his current partner Rohan Bopanna.
Bhupathi reportedly told the Hindustan Times newspaper on Saturday that he would never play again with Paes, who he has won three Grand Slam doubles titles with.
“Doubles is not only about serve and volley, it’s about mutual respect and trust,” Bhupathi told the paper from London where he is preparing for Wimbledon with Bopanna.
“I don’t trust him (Paes) after he dumped me without any warning at the end of last year.”
http://dawn.com/2012/06/16/i-dont-tr...says-bhupathi/

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 6637291)
Indian people here I would like to ask you guys something. What is their socio-economical background? I am talking about caste system and stuff. Thanks in advance.

They both seem to come from well off families. I don't know about the caste system. Paes is a Goan and most likely a Christian, so there should be no caste issues with Bhupathi.

Let's remember that Bhupathi plays with Sania who is a Muslim, Sania has paired with Peer who is Jewish, Bopanna has paired with Qureshi, a Pakistani, so at this level things like faith and caste do no play a role.

Acco to some folks here, their initial problem began once in a hotel lobby over some Indian actress. They got into fisticuffs over her. Perhaps everything now is clouded by that and they can't shake it off.

It's sad, and quite a national shame.

tusharlovesrafa 06-16-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6638235)

NEW DELHI: Indian tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi has refused to play with Leander Paes at the Olympics, saying he does not trust his erstwhile partner, a report said Saturday.
The All-India Tennis Association (AITA) on Friday named the ageing duo for the men’s doubles event in London even though Bhupathi had publicly stated he wanted to play with his current partner Rohan Bopanna.
Bhupathi reportedly told the Hindustan Times newspaper on Saturday that he would never play again with Paes, who he has won three Grand Slam doubles titles with.
“Doubles is not only about serve and volley, it’s about mutual respect and trust,” Bhupathi told the paper from London where he is preparing for Wimbledon with Bopanna.
“I don’t trust him (Paes) after he dumped me without any warning at the end of last year.”

They both seem to come from well off families. I don't know about the caste system. Paes is a Goan and most likely a Christian, so there should be no caste issues with Bhupathi.

Let's remember that Bhupathi plays with Sania who is a Muslim, Sania has paired with Peer who is Jewish, Bopanna has paired with Qureshi, a Pakistani, so at this level things like faith and caste do no play a role.

Acco to some folks here, their initial problem began once in a hotel lobby over some Indian actress. They got into fisticuffs over her. Perhaps everything now is clouded by that and they can't shake it off.

lol ,really?? lara is pretty hot btw!!

Sentinel 06-16-2012 11:23 PM

Just saw today's paper. Bhupathi says that if he says No to Paes then even Bopanna will say No.

Also, he says he is willing to pay back the $6000 pm training grant.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/if...opanna/962965/

He does add that he will consider this with his family before giving it in writing to the Federation.

btw, Bhupathi-Bop lost at AEGON, as did Paes-Anderson.

BobFL 06-17-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks! Well, if caste system is not an issue then they are showing a VERY immature behavior. I simply cannot believe that this is happening between them and AITA. Everything sounds like some B-grade fraternity issue to me. Yes, quite sad.

sunny_cali 06-17-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 6638742)
Thanks! Well, if caste system is not an issue then they are showing a VERY immature behavior. I simply cannot believe that this is happening between them and AITA. Everything sounds like some B-grade fraternity issue to me. Yes, quite sad.

You mean if the caste system was the issue, it would be mature ? Not sure how or why you are connecting the two ?

Hi I'm Ray 06-17-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 6636217)
The issue of Paes/Bhupathi is an old (and enuf already) affair... and this is another horrible way to come out again...

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...8230&zoneid=25

Bhupathi told Times Now -- "He (Paes) publicly and privately stabbed me in the back in November, last year, and things can't be turned around. We don't speak and have no camaraderie,"

Anyone know any insights into that November incident.. and other internal details? :confused:

LOL. Some kid in the comments section was throwing out some Rafa hate when that article had nothing to do with him.

I don't get why they don't just send two teams instead of insisting on pairing up two guys who don't get along.

sureshs 06-17-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Senti, did you not know that Hesh is a Christian? He and Lara had a Catholic wedding. I am surprised how many people think Hesh is Hindu based on his name.

BTW, my father and Lee's father were colleagues.

That does not mean Lee and I have similar tennis skills.

He could use a lot of improvement.

sureshs 06-17-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipNCharge (Post 6637606)
Was it Mike Bryan that Paes referred to as "an angry little man"?

I know one of the Bryans and Lee have a long history of animosity.

sureshs 06-17-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6638279)
Just saw today's paper. Bhupathi says that if he says No to Paes then even Bopanna will say No.

Also, he says he is willing to pay back the $6000 pm training grant.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/if...opanna/962965/

He does add that he will consider this with his family before giving it in writing to the Federation.

btw, Bhupathi-Bop lost at AEGON, as did Paes-Anderson.

3 lacs rupees a month seems to be enough to take care of a lavish personal lifestyle with a little tennis on the side.

courtking 06-17-2012 07:40 AM

somehow Paes face looks sleeky.. he is a kind of sneaky, cocky guy.. no wonder he has so many difference partner over the years.. yes.. he's a talented double player but too bad sneaky guy will push people away.. !!

sunny_cali 06-17-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6639026)
Senti, did you not know that Hesh is a Christian?

Was he born Christian or did he convert before marrying Lara ?

Quote:

That does not mean Lee and I have similar tennis skills.

He could use a lot of improvement.
Interesting. How do you compare in the shacking-up-with-failed-Bolly-actresses department ?

decades 06-17-2012 08:33 AM

this must be some kind of mistake. it can't be. there is never controversy surrounding Paes.

BobFL 06-17-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny_cali (Post 6638769)
You mean if the caste system was the issue, it would be mature ? Not sure how or why you are connecting the two ?

No smartass, it would be something I am not competent to analyze.