Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   U.S. Open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428553)

tennytive 06-18-2012 05:34 AM

U.S. Open

When top pro golfers are made to look like rank amateurs, that has to be one of, if not the toughest, golf courses I've ever seen for a major tournament.

Tee shots off the fairway. Second shots into the sand. Sand shots to five feet away from the cup. Two putt. Insane amount of short putts for birdies and pars missed from bad reads, and almost every golfer leaving 10 foot putts short by 2 feet. At times it was almost painful to watch.

Sure, there were several birdies, some eagles, and even a hole in one, but overall the play was lackluster. Even the announcers were having to hold their tongues at some of the shots displayed.

The winner's four day score was one over par.

Ironically Beau Hosler, a 17 year old high school kid playing as an Amateur finished better than Tiger Woods.

I don't play anymore, but those of you that do, what are your thoughts about what you saw?

El Diablo 06-18-2012 05:51 AM

It was pretty much what I expect from a US Open, the tournament known for finding narrow fairway courses and then letting the rough grow a little longer than usual. Five of the last ten winners have finished either even or over par, so this one was not so unusual.

tennytive 06-18-2012 06:22 AM

Okay, I get the part about the narrow fairways and high rough as part of the deal, but how do you explain the putting?

McDowell took forever reading that putt on 18 for birdie and then missed by 6 inches to the left, not even close.

Why would anyone be a member there? If pros can't shoot par, just think how bad the club players scores must be.

Glad I play tennis and not golf.

Ash_Smith 06-18-2012 08:28 AM

Some of the day four pin positions were particularly tough. Was a real test, miss the fairway by a foot and you were stuffed! Greens looked baked and it was almost impossible to get the ball to stop, especially if you were playing out of the rough, as even the first cut made it almost impossible to get enough spin on the ball.

Not sure why the green reading was so hard though, maybe the light and the moisture in the air made the greens react differently to expectation.

ollinger 06-18-2012 08:33 AM

Players are driving longer than ever in recent years, with better conditioning and much better (longer, at least) equipment. This tends to magnify error on those narrow fairway courses.

813wilson 06-18-2012 10:56 AM

" Why would anyone be a member there? If pros can't shoot par, just think how bad the club players scores must be."

You do understand that they set the course up differently for the Open than everyday club use.....

Greens are faster, rough is much thicker, fairways are narrowed and the "apron/area surrounding the green" is adjusted by expanding it and making it faster.

Not sure about Olympic but often a par 5 at the club will be set as a par 4 during tournament play.....

dParis 06-18-2012 11:09 AM

I've been following the NBA playoffs closely this year and last night I was switching back and forth between the US Open and OKC/MIA and found the Open far more captivating than the basketball game. The drama of the straightforward, individual action/consequence factor of the Open, juxtaposing the relative arbitrariness of the ref's whistles in the basketball game, was apparent in a way I hadn't compared before.

I have mixed feelings about how the course set-up determines the national championship. These professionals have amazing ability to shoot under par. Their consistency and ability to control their shots, and their abilities around the green, aren't fully recognized by most viewers. The typical US Open set ups don't allow these abilities to be displayed to their potential. On the other hand, all aspects of the game; accurate driving, shot shaping, short game and putting skills are exposed to the sternest of tests and make for captivating viewing.