Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   At least No Double Bagels!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428639)

Herdsman76 06-18-2012 06:04 PM

At least No Double Bagels!!!

Well Sports Fans I survived the US Open Playoffs. Although I lost, the match was competitive and had a major blast. After my match, I got to watch some really impressive tennis.

Anyway, for those keeping score, I'm 46 and a ranked 3.5 tournament player in Texas. I lost to a kid whose a Super Championship player 6-2, 6-2.

I was actually shocked I won as many games as I did. Too bad I didn't capitalize on the chances I had...

For those that wondered what we got, aside from a folder with important info on the tourney, we got a cap and a shirt with the players names on it. I was even interviewed after my match. You never know it may show up in the Playoffs show they have on Tennis Channel. Probably not but I can dream...

Oh well it was a one time opportunity I enjoyed. It was cool to be treated like I was important in the tournament...

If you get the chance, try it... Don't worry about your skill and ability, just have fun!

H76

t135 06-18-2012 06:32 PM

Pretty cool.

CaldwellYSR 06-18-2012 10:36 PM

That's great! I hope to be playing in one of those in another year or so :) I bet it was an awesome experience.

Cindysphinx 06-19-2012 04:46 AM

Wow. You got four games? That is seriously impressive.

You *go*, Herdsman!!

Torres 06-19-2012 05:57 AM

Sounds like a great experience. As for the 2 and 2, don't take this the wrong way, but he was probably taking easy and saving himself for other matches when he figured out your level.

jdubbs 06-19-2012 06:39 AM

That actually is impressive. Sometimes a player is used to a certain style, and you are throwing off speed shots and it may have thrown him.
Good job!

zcarzach 06-19-2012 06:51 AM

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great experience and played as well as could be expected, given the stage.

Herdsman76 06-19-2012 07:56 AM

Thanks everybody, it really was a great experience. I had to chuckle at Torres comment about the kid figuring me out. I'm sure he's still wondering why, on the very first point of the match, I served underhanded. I just had to do it to loosen things up...

burosky 06-19-2012 08:18 AM

It doesn't matter what others might say. All that matters is you had a blast. I wonder if the experience you had with the way the tournament treated the players is the same at the other sites. If that is the case, it may not be such a bad idea to go through and spend the money even just for the experience.

Matt H. 06-19-2012 08:32 AM

congrats on the $100 t-shirt!

kidding.

athiker 06-19-2012 08:36 AM

Sounds fun...don't know much about the process. So anyone with a USTA card can sign up? Are the initial pairings just random? $108 all in cost?

Glad you enjoyed it...thanks for sharing.

Link I found...I think this is the correct one?

http://www.usopen.org/National_Playo...n_information/

Herdsman76 06-19-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt H. (Post 6643694)
congrats on the $100 t-shirt!

kidding.

Actually I got a cap and T-shirt!!! Oooh and the t-shirt had all the players names on it... LOL

Dragonmuffin 06-19-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herdsman76 (Post 6642503)
Well Sports Fans I survived the US Open Playoffs. Although I lost, the match was competitive and had a major blast. After my match, I got to watch some really impressive tennis.

Anyway, for those keeping score, I'm 46 and a ranked 3.5 tournament player in Texas. I lost to a kid whose a Super Championship player 6-2, 6-2.

I was actually shocked I won as many games as I did. Too bad I didn't capitalize on the chances I had...

For those that wondered what we got, aside from a folder with important info on the tourney, we got a cap and a shirt with the players names on it. I was even interviewed after my match. You never know it may show up in the Playoffs show they have on Tennis Channel. Probably not but I can dream...

Oh well it was a one time opportunity I enjoyed. It was cool to be treated like I was important in the tournament...

If you get the chance, try it... Don't worry about your skill and ability, just have fun!

H76

You got a shirt? Just finished up playing in the Eastern Playoffs, and no shirt for us! But playing at the U.S. Open site is really fun.

Herdsman76 06-20-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonmuffin (Post 6645576)
You got a shirt? Just finished up playing in the Eastern Playoffs, and no shirt for us! But playing at the U.S. Open site is really fun.

How did you play? Sorry to hear that you didn't at least get a shirt. They really treated us very well in our Section. Not that I played long enough to enjoy the amenities though.

Dragonmuffin 06-20-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herdsman76 (Post 6645841)
How did you play? Sorry to hear that you didn't at least get a shirt. They really treated us very well in our Section. Not that I played long enough to enjoy the amenities though.

I lost in the 4th round(round of 16), no bye of course. Not bad I guess, but was hoping for better. Really well run tournament, very official feeling. As for you, keep at it, next year you will do even better. 2 and 2 is decent, and i'm sure you had chances for more games.