Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Greatest Baseliner with One-Handed Backhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428672)

Satsuma Illini 06-19-2012 03:31 AM

Greatest Baseliner with One-Handed Backhand

Was discussing this with a friend the other day. For the Open Era, Ivan Lendl seemed to be the best I could think of. All the other single-backhand players seem to be serve-and-volleyers. For all-time, who would be in the top ten for best baseliner with a one-handed backhand?

pc1 06-19-2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satsuma Illini (Post 6643263)
Was discussing this with a friend the other day. For the Open Era, Ivan Lendl seemed to be the best I could think of. All the other single-backhand players seem to be serve-and-volleyers. For all-time, who would be in the top ten for best baseliner with a one-handed backhand?

I'd pick Ken Rosewall for number one. Other possibilities would be Bill Tilden, Don Budge, Rene Lacoste, Nusslein, Trabert, Segura, Vilas, Nastase, Gimeno, Bobby Riggs. I understand Jack Kramer, although he was known for his great serve and volley was a fabulous baseliner.

President 06-19-2012 05:40 AM

No love for Roger Federer?

jean pierre 06-19-2012 05:55 AM

Vilas, Lendl, Kuerten, Moya, Muster.

zcarzach 06-19-2012 05:59 AM

Lendl and Federer. Borg had like a 1 1/2 hand backhand, so I give him half credit.

pc1 06-19-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Didn't notice you mentioned Open Era :( so along with Rosewall I would pick Vilas, Federer, Nastase, Kuerten, Okker, Orantes, Clerc, Kodes (yes Kiki, be happy :) ), Gomez, Muster, Korda.

morten 06-19-2012 07:30 AM

Kuerten IMO, even handled the high bounce really well, and could blast winners from that side all the time.

pc1 06-19-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morten (Post 6643684)
Kuerten IMO, even handled the high bounce really well, and could blast winners from that side all the time.

That's why a lot of experts think Kuerten would have a decent chance to defeat Nadal on red clay.

Limpinhitter 06-19-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

In my own thread, I picked Roger Federer as having the "greatest ground game" of all time, with any kind of backhand. There are greater backhands than his, 1h and 2h. But, not greater forehands, and not greater footwork or shot preparation. After Federer, I would have to go with Rod Laver. IMO, he had the greatest 1hb of all time, one of the greatest fh's, and was the greatest athlete to ever play tennis. After that, Ken Rosewall. He had so much power for a little guy with a tiny racquet, and yet, he was so consistent and precise. And, he was almost Borg like in his focus and competitiveness.

The-Champ 06-19-2012 08:14 AM

It seems as if everyone has forgotten Korda's great backhand. Poor Korda :(

zcarzach 06-19-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Champ (Post 6643815)

Who?

/totally kidding.

Limpinhitter 06-19-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6643722)
That's why a lot of experts think Kuerten would have a decent chance to defeat Nadal on red clay.

We don't know how much Kuerten's hip impaired his game before surgery. We know he beat Federer in straight sets at the FO after he had reached maximum recovery after surgery. IMO, it's not far fetched to think he may have been as great or greater on clay than Nadal, had he been completely healthy throughout his career. He had a better serve and a better backhand. He didn't move as well, but, being a balanced player, he didn't need to.

Devilito 06-19-2012 08:57 AM

you can change the thread title to "Roger Federer" and remove all further discussion. I’m a total nostaligiatard but this is cut and dry

pc1 06-19-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

I did mention him. He may have had the most dangerous backhand when he was on his game. And he was something when he was on.

jokinla 06-19-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 6643451)
No love for Roger Federer?

Since this is the "former pro" section, I don't think he qualifies.

jokinla 06-19-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jean pierre (Post 6643479)
Vilas, Lendl, Kuerten, Moya, Muster.

Uhm, he had an awesome, two handed, one handed backhand, is that what you meant.

zcarzach 06-19-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6644146)
I did mention him. He may have had the most dangerous backhand when he was on his game. And he was something when he was on.

I think you mean he was on something when he was on. Nandrolone, I beleive...

pc1 06-19-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

On a slightly different note, Korda's daughter is now a professional golfer.

Rock Strongo 06-19-2012 02:49 PM

We're talking pure baseliner here?

DolgoSantoro 06-19-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 6644398)
Since this is the "former pro" section, I don't think he qualifies.

Well the OP was talking about the open era, which federer is certainly a part of, and I'd answer him with regards to the question but I'll say Lendl if Federer is arbitrarily disqualified