Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Version of MSV Focus Hex "Soft" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428719)

Justus_Jonas 06-19-2012 11:02 AM

New Version of MSV Focus Hex "Soft"

Hi all,

there is a new Version of the Msv Hex on the market, called MSV Focus
hex "soft":

http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-focus...-red.2141.html

i had a chance to play with it for 2h now, and itīs realy amazing. The normal hex was always a compromise in feel and Stiffness to me, but the soft is killing this issues. Great control and spin, same as the normal Version.

Regards
JJ

Maui19 06-20-2012 05:26 AM

Interesting. I recently switched my crosses to Hurricane Feel, which has the same benefits of the Focus-Hex Soft, and it is just an awesome string. Better feel, performance and much better tension maintenance.

Rjtennis 06-20-2012 07:54 AM

Sounds cool. Ill have to try it.

syke 06-20-2012 09:51 AM

I am reluctant to try anything from MSV, but hopefully with these new strings the boardy & muted feel is addressed.

Wouldn't mind trying though if they sent me a free set.

tistrapukcipeht 06-20-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke (Post 6646522)
I am reluctant to try anything from MSV, but hopefully with these new strings the boardy & muted feel is addressed.

Wouldn't mind trying though if they sent me a free set.

I agree with you again, I practiced with someone the other day for 25 mins until his coach (late) got there.

He is a good Jr, top 25 (u-16) in his area, he had one of his Xi's with MSV (I'm sure which one) freshly strung, He put it down after 5 mins, for his old RPM Blast, He said it was the worst polyester he ever tried, no feel whatsoever and very stiff, so as good as he is, with the same racquet, his feedback is very important for me, of course only thing I can hit with him is forehands, otherwise everything else He crushes me.

I told him to try the YPTSpin.

GlenK 06-20-2012 10:22 AM

I have never tried MSV full beds, but Co-focus is a fabulous cross for nat gut..

wmilas 06-20-2012 11:17 AM

Agreed. Co focus in a gut hybrid as a cross is simply sublime. I've tried 20+ other polys. Nothing comes close to co-focus.

In a full bed I wonder if these "pros" actually read MSV's literature where it states it should not be strung over 50 lbs. 52 lbs and higher, true enough, it starts to go board like. At 56 its unplayable.

At 46 to 48 with good technique in a players frame its simply godlike.

franks 06-20-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 6646594)
I have never tried MSV full beds, but Co-focus is a fabulous cross for nat gut..

Have you ever tried Scorpion as a cross with natural gut? if so how does it compare to MSV Co-focus?

Thanks for your reply
Frank

wmilas 06-20-2012 11:57 AM

Scorpion, to me, seemed too powerful crossed with the gut. I like the b5e as a cross better.

That said Scorpion as a main was excellent with OGSM 17 or 18 as a cross. This setup was solid for 6-8 hours for me.

syke 06-20-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 6646582)
I agree with you again, I practiced with someone the other day for 25 mins until his coach (late) got there.

He is a good Jr, top 25 (u-16) in his area, he had one of his Xi's with MSV (I'm sure which one) freshly strung, He put it down after 5 mins, for his old RPM Blast, He said it was the worst polyester he ever tried, no feel whatsoever and very stiff, so as good as he is, with the same racquet, his feedback is very important for me, of course only thing I can hit with him is forehands, otherwise everything else He crushes me.

I told him to try the YPTSpin.

Exactly, they feel horrendous freshly strung. Only after breaking them in, they become "playable" with good durability. Little wonder why they aren't popular amongst pros.

dadozen 06-20-2012 02:25 PM

I'm playing Focus Hex 1.10 as a cross for any other poly I use in the mains and it's one of the best to be used this way. It holds tension well, keep the stringbed firmness for a much longer time and it's cheap. Also it lets the main strings slide easily through the entire life span.

As other have said, it's a string to be used in very low tensions. I'm stringing it @ 39( mains @ 43 ).

Also, it must be noted that Focus Hex 1.10 is a much lighter string. Even on a 18x20 stringbed and 98" headsize, a full bed of Focus Hex 1.10 weighs only 14g. depending on tension, it also helps in the boardy feel. That's one of the reasons that it must be stung @ lower tensions

Hi I'm Ray 06-20-2012 05:39 PM

Focus-hex does take about an hour to break in. I strung up left over focus-hex in some flexible players rackets with good feel and I was surprised the string bed feels much nicer there. But pair Focus hex with a frame with already low feel (usually the stiff power frames) and you won't be feeling much.

GlenK 06-21-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franks (Post 6646801)
Have you ever tried Scorpion as a cross with natural gut? if so how does it compare to MSV Co-focus?

Thanks for your reply
Frank

Yes, I tried Scorpion and did like it, but Co-Focus has better control and longevity. It also seems to tame the power of the gut a little better than Scorpion.

franks 06-22-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 6648459)
Yes, I tried Scorpion and did like it, but Co-Focus has better control and longevity. It also seems to tame the power of the gut a little better than Scorpion.

GlenK and wmilas,
thanks for your answers.

Cheers
Frank

sundaypunch 07-09-2012 01:38 PM

Any more news on the MSV Hex "soft"? I don't see anyone in the USA selling it yet.

gd! 07-10-2012 10:23 AM

Focus Soft Hex

commish00 07-10-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6713633)
Any more news on the MSV Hex "soft"? I don't see anyone in the USA selling it yet.

If you google MSV Focus Hex Soft you will find your answer.

Best of Luck

kimguroo 07-10-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6713633)

Guts&glory is US distributor. He is in Atlanta.
I spoke with him a few weeks ago. I got the individual packages and ask about reels. He told me that it's in custom processing. I think he might get new strings now.

kimguroo 07-10-2012 11:19 AM

I tested 1.15. I feel same as regular hex plus it's softer.
I like the string and might change to Hex soft.

ccmtennis 07-10-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus_Jonas (Post 6644143)
Hi all,

there is a new Version of the Msv Hex on the market, called MSV Focus
hex "soft":

http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-focus...-red.2141.html

i had a chance to play with it for 2h now, and itīs realy amazing. The normal hex was always a compromise in feel and Stiffness to me, but the soft is killing this issues. Great control and spin, same as the normal Version.

Regards
JJ

Have you compared it to WC line at all? I would to try it since I live the hex but I felt it was lacking big time in feel and judging by your response you think the feel here is much better