Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   how should this be handled? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428803)

tnnisfan 06-19-2012 10:41 PM

how should this be handled?

I suffered a severe leg injury (18 months ago) and after extensive therapy have been back on the court playing doubles for 6 months. I am thrilled as initially my orthopedic surgeon didn't know if I would even be able to walk normally again, let alone play tennis. I am determined to regain my mobility, strength, and learn to move with lots of metal permanently within my leg. Therefore, I signed up for a USTA flex singles league as I felt ready to try singles again. Prior to my accident I was rated a strong 4.0, but am now not really sure where I am as I still have my 4.0 skills, but can not move around the court quite as well. So, I signed up for a 3.5 league just to be safe. I have played 3 matches and have had 3 similar experiences. My leg feels great at the beginning and I dive into play. All of my first sets thus far have been very easily won at 6-0, 6-1, 6-0. It is almost too easy as I feel I truly dominate my opponents. Well, I'm noticing a pattern that roughly 3-4 games into the second set my leg begins to swell, throb, and ache horribly. Whether I am ahead or behind in the 2nd set I begin to hurt so badly I have to retire from the match. My goal was to improve, not make my injury worse. I am beyond frustrated and am very sad as I have never been injured. I give my opponents the "win" and feel my esteem drop when I see the scores on my USTA profile.
I need advice for my next step...do I continue to schedule the remainder matches and try my best and push myself until my leg says stop, (even if it means retiring the match) or is it better etiquette to drop out of the league? I don't necessarily want to tell my opponents ahead of time that I am injured, but feel badly when I have to retire as they have given up an evening to play. I now know I wasn't ready for singles and wish I would not have signed up for this league. I have not experienced this pain playing doubles and just "assumed" I would be fine playing at a lower level in singles.
I really need advice as the lady I played tonight was very irritated when I retired. I won the first set 6-0 and then it was 1-3 in the second. She got snippy and even asked if I retired because I was "losing"? I was far from "losing"...but I am pretty stoic and tried not to show that every step was pure misery.

Maui19 06-20-2012 03:49 AM

I don't think you are ready to play league matches. Good luck with your recovery!

Cindysphinx 06-20-2012 03:52 AM

My goodness. What an awful thing to have to deal with!

Honestly, I would stop playing if I were you. If you can't yet get through a full match, you're just not ready.

Can you just play doubles? Can you change your playing style to finish points more quickly?

Since it is a flex league, another option would be to discuss beforehand with your opponents. Tell them that you can try to play, but you will retire if you feel you cannot continue and you have had to retire three times. If they still want to chance it, then they cannot complain if you have to reture.

floridatennisdude 06-20-2012 04:30 AM

I wouldn't risk my health for a league match. If I were you, I would drop the flex league.

spot 06-20-2012 05:13 AM

Agreed with everyone else. Its crazy for you to be trying to play league matches when you are experiencing that much pain. Play doubles or just set up friendly hit sessions with friends until you are further along in your recovery.

Just tell the league you are injured. They normally have a list of people who will fill in for situations like this.

jdubbs 06-20-2012 05:33 AM

Man up, take a cortisone shot if you have to. Ice it down between games. You will be fine.

tennis tom 06-20-2012 05:57 AM

Play doubles or practice. I don't understand why you didn't tell the "snippy" one that you were injured? No need to be so tough on yourself--it's only tennis.

sundaypunch 06-20-2012 06:00 AM

You should consult your doctor about what level of activity is OK. Obviously you are pushing yourself too hard at the moment. If you want to play some tennis, can't you find a friend to play an occasional set? The league sounds like too much of a commitment.

Mauvaise 06-20-2012 06:12 AM

If your Flex is like mine you may be able to find a sub (or subs) to play the remainder of your matches.

samarai 06-20-2012 06:30 AM

Quit the league

Man, there should be no thought involved. You need to quit the league. We play for recreation and you should feel good after a match win or lose. Obviously your injury has not fully healed yet or you need more time for rehab. Take time off and slowly work your way back into it.

J_R_B 06-20-2012 07:00 AM

Stop playing the league for now and instead just schedule playing times with friends for the amount of time you can play before the pain starts. In other words, if you can play for 35 or 45 mins before you start to hurt, then ask a friend to just play a half hour and slowly work back to full match length. I know I would definitely do that for a friend who had a serious injury to help them back.

tnnisfan 06-20-2012 07:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think it is apparent that I "bit off more than I could chew" and will have to drop the league. It is difficult for me to "quit" things as I was raised with that very strict mantra of "finish what you start, don't be a quitter etc.." At least I can play doubles which is such a blessing as tennis is a very big part of my life. I forgot how much more of an impact singles takes on your body. I also had no idea how long it takes for broken bones to heal...they make it look so easy in the movies :)

OrangePower 06-20-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnnisfan (Post 6646269)
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think it is apparent that I "bit off more than I could chew" and will have to drop the league. It is difficult for me to "quit" things as I was raised with that very strict mantra of "finish what you start, don't be a quitter etc.." At least I can play doubles which is such a blessing as tennis is a very big part of my life. I forgot how much more of an impact singles takes on your body. I also had no idea how long it takes for broken bones to heal...they make it look so easy in the movies :)

I think it really depends on whether you are harming your leg or risking further injury when you play singles and experience pain.

If you are risking your recovery, then quit the league right now!

On the other hand, if it's "just" pain but otherwise doing no harm, then I don't know... I might be inclined to continue, but play with the mindset of keeping points super short. But I don't know if that's an option for you - obviously it depends on your style of play.

tnnisfan 06-20-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6646834)
I think it really depends on whether you are harming your leg or risking further injury when you play singles and experience pain.

If you are risking your recovery, then quit the league right now!

On the other hand, if it's "just" pain but otherwise doing no harm, then I don't know... I might be inclined to continue, but play with the mindset of keeping points super short. But I don't know if that's an option for you - obviously it depends on your style of play.

Thanks, I was actually wondering the same thing with regards to "doing harm" or just learning my limits with this leg until it is fully healed.

It is really ironic as a couple of posters have advised me to maybe try and "keep points short". I had to laugh out loud because that was my style of play for years!! I was very aggressive and would try to "put it away" on the first or second shot. Heck, I'd even sometimes try to put it away on a first serve return. I had more pros than I can count tell me that was my biggest problem, and to quit trying to end things so quickly. Every pro since has worked with me to calm down and become more of a baseliner and learn to work the point...which I have accomplished fairly well. It might be really fun to go back to what I believe is probably my natural style of play and just put it away...either in the court or against the fence! (Ha ha)