Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   how do you handle... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=428819)

10smonkey 06-20-2012 05:20 AM

how do you handle...

A guy who yells cmon! after every winner he hits.
First some background. I am a 52 year old fading 5.0 player. I play in an open league. I was playing a doubles match lat night and this young whippersnapper was obnoxious. Yelling cmon after a winner but also every ball he missed it was " how can I miss that , I was right there!
I didn't say a word until on a crucial point in the 3rd when i hit an ace to go up 5-3 casually tossed the balls to their side and said " now that was worthy of a cmon":twisted:

zcarzach 06-20-2012 05:28 AM

Sounds like pure ******baggery on his part, just ignore him. Your response was the best possible response.

jdubbs 06-20-2012 05:31 AM

I kind of miss a little trash talking, when I used to play bball it was all the time.
Like if you badly miss a layup, someone from the other team would say something like "he don't want it!"
Would love to say that after someone double faults.

But alas, this is a gentlemens sport. Not much you can do when someone is acting up.

spot 06-20-2012 05:40 AM

How to handle it? Go out and win. Problem solved.

I seriously don't get why anyone would get upset at the opponent yelling "Come On!" after a good shot. What is there to get bothered by? Its not my style but I couldn't care any less if my opponent does it.

Dragonmuffin 06-20-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6646024)

I seriously don't get why anyone would get upset at the opponent yelling "Come On!" after a good shot. What is there to get bothered by? Its not my style but I couldn't care any less if my opponent does it.

...this +1

sundaypunch 06-20-2012 06:03 AM

Say, "are you really that excited about taking a point off a 52-year old man?"

10smonkey 06-20-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6646024)

#1 I did win the match
#2 I am not playing college tennis anymore I am 52 years old
# 3 If you honestly could'nt care less when some punk constantly whines and yells u are either a saint or full of *****
# 4 My neophyte opponent did not just yell after hitting a winner. The last thing I want to hear after dumping a volley into the net is CMON

TennisDawg 06-20-2012 06:36 AM

No biggie, that's his style. So long as he doesn't get in your face I say let it be. Everyone has a personality when they play matches, that's what makes tennis fun and interesting.

bukaeast 06-20-2012 06:48 AM

Laugh

It is absurd, isn't it.

dizzlmcwizzl 06-20-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubbs (Post 6646013)
Like if you badly miss a layup, someone from the other team would say something like "They don't want it!"
Would love to say that after someone double faults.

I said this exact thing last night after the other guy double faulted ... how funny

IA-SteveB 06-20-2012 07:18 AM

I would have just let it go. Actions always speak louder than words, i.e. just win. In baseball as a youth, I always had the game to back anything up, so anything directed at my team verbally was just fuel to my fire. No words needed. :)

tennis tom 06-20-2012 07:20 AM

Put him on your ignore list.

Tell him politely that he's annoying you--and be prepared to do battle. You may get into his head with this, like he is getting into yours. Maybe he'll wimp out--check the size of his biceps first.

Play in age group tournaments and you won't encounter morons like this.

jdubbs 06-20-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6646220)
I said this exact thing last night after the other guy double faulted ... how funny

Really? How did he take it? Did you know him well? I like to talk a little trash when playing a friend, but everybody is different and some guys can't take it.

dizzlmcwizzl 06-20-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubbs (Post 6646298)
Really? How did he take it? Did you know him well? I like to talk a little trash when playing a friend, but everybody is different and some guys can't take it.

We have this great set of public courts where when guys finish they sit on the wall, drink beer and watch the other matches as they finish. Almost everyone talks trash and while I have brought a few friends over that could not handle this abrasive US open type atmosphere ... this particular guy was a veteran of these courts and while I cannot remember exactly what he said on the next point ... I am sure it was equally as abrasive and likely involved a couple of words that should not be said on a tennis court. It was all in good fun and he took it that way.

It is a great place to play if you like a little trash talk in your game.

BobFL 06-20-2012 07:47 AM

There is nothing really there to be handled. Just let him be young and restless :)
Seriously, we are all different. Sometimes but very rarely I yell 'C'mon' for fun purposes and when I play my friends and younger guys. However, I have 'no sound' policy when I play older guys. But, as I said, we are all different so let him be what he is ie ignore his behavior.

TennisDawg 06-20-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6646309)
We have this great set of public courts where when guys finish they sit on the wall, drink beer and watch the other matches as they finish. Almost everyone talks trash and while I have brought a few friends over that could not handle this abrasive US open type atmosphere ... this particular guy was a veteran of these courts and while I cannot remember exactly what he said on the next point ... I am sure it was equally as abrasive and likely involved a couple of words that should not be said on a tennis court. It was all in good fun and he took it that way.

It is a great place to play if you like a little trash talk in your game.

Now, that's where I would hang out. I mean lighten up. I have been to a few public courts just like that. It's a blast to play there, you play some great points and have some laughs, you play serious tennis, but keep it in perspective. If it's good natured, who cares??

Mauvaise 06-20-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 6646277)
Play in age group tournaments and you won't encounter morons like this.

I don't think this will help. There are always *****holes in any age group.

Your first suggestion of just ignoring them is best. It's not always easy, but it works.

fuzz nation 06-20-2012 07:56 AM

Well now that I think about it, as much as I hate it when obnoxious turds behave like this in a match, it might be fun to join in. No, not with an over-the-top "C'mon!" of your own, but more of a big loud "WHOOOooooo!!" Maybe you could even put both arms up in the air like you're doing the wave (or maybe a big thumbs up). Do it right after the other guy does his C'mon as though you're his one man crowd. If he wants to get everyone pumped up, oblige him. You might even break his concentration with his own medicine.

I don't think that this would be an especially toxic response, since you'd only be doing a goofy caricature of him... and he started it! If he thinks you're being annoying, he should simply quit the hypocrisy and shut up.

I'm definitely going to use this sometime soon... details at eleven!!!

TennisDawg 06-20-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz nation (Post 6646375)
Well now that I think about it, as much as I hate it when obnoxious turds behave like this in a match, it might be fun to join in. No, not with an over-the-top "C'mon!" of your own, but more of a big loud "WHOOOooooo!!" Maybe you could even put both arms up in the air like you're doing the wave. Do it right after the other guy does his C'mon as though you're his one man crowd. If he wants to get everyone pumped up, oblige him.

I don't think that this would be an especially toxic response, since you'd only be doing a goofy caricature of him... and he started it! If he thinks you're being annoying, he should simply quit the hypocrisy and shut up.

I'm definitely going to use this sometime soon... details at eleven!!!

I just wonderin, what you mean by get everyone pumped up, oblige him? I assume we're talking about a USTA league match or some tournament at around 4.0-4.5 or even 5.0! How many people are going to even care about the match?? It could be the two of you out there acting weird, alone. The way the OP describes it it's just an opponent getting amped up about winning a point. It's really not a big deal, IMO.

spot 06-20-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10smonkey (Post 6646156)
#1 I did win the match
#2 I am not playing college tennis anymore I am 52 years old
# 3 If you honestly could'nt care less when some punk constantly whines and yells u are either a saint or full of *****
# 4 My neophyte opponent did not just yell after hitting a winner. The last thing I want to hear after dumping a volley into the net is CMON

1. I guess for me winning a match like that just makes it all that much sweeter when someone acts like your opponent. Once you win then its just funny.

2. "Hey kids get off my lawn!". Probably time for you to switch to senior events.

3. I honestly couldn't care any less. I greatly enjoy some good smacktalk so if they start saying things to me then I'll be more than happy to respond. But if they are just saying "Come on!" then really why on earth would I care at all?

4. Seriously I don't get it. Maybe its because I talk to myself after pretty much every point but I couldn't care any less what my opponents are yelling after the point is over. I honestly can't believe you still care after all these years of playing.