Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   HELP: Can't insert string into cross 8T in Wilson Tour 90 & no Awl (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429038)

shamaho 06-21-2012 04:50 PM

HELP: Can't insert string into cross 8T in Wilson Tour 90 & no Awl

HELP

I'm on my third stringing job, this time on my Wilson nCode Six One Tour (white red one). The previous two string jobs were on different racket models and went reasonably fine.

Doing a Hibrid with 1.20 string on mains, and 1.29 on crosses and I can't seem to insert the cross on 8T.

I don't have an awl so I tried the technique of cutting a diagonal, pressing the string and slowly push it in with the curved thingies... but no sucess at all

Also, giving up the crosses for tonight. is there a problem leaving the racket mounted and strung only with mains overnight (or more) ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

shamaho 06-21-2012 04:59 PM

duuuuhhhhh it seems I don't have to pass a cross on 8T but start on 7T, skip 8T (used for a mains) and go direct to 9T

is that it ? doh...

jim e 06-21-2012 05:06 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
BTW, never leave a partially strung racquet. If you string one up you should plan on finishing it or start it another time.

shamaho 06-21-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6650198)
Glad it worked out for you.
BTW, never leave a partially strung racquet. If you string one up you should plan on finishing it or start it another time.

Thanks for the info. Would you care to elaborate just a bit on why ?

I mean, I would think that only mains on shouldn't place that much tension on the frame... or do they?

If so, even if I leave it on the machine where the supports hold or (should) prevent frame distortions due to the forces ?

fortun8son 06-21-2012 09:38 PM

Mounting supports can slip or loosen.
They may not, but if they do, it can severely damage or destroy the frame.
They are temporary supports and not designed to hold the frame for hours.

jim e 06-22-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamaho (Post 6650334)
Thanks for the info. Would you care to elaborate just a bit on why ?

I mean, I would think that only mains on shouldn't place that much tension on the frame... or do they?

If so, even if I leave it on the machine where the supports hold or (should) prevent frame distortions due to the forces ?

Stringing a racquet places a lot of stress on a racquet even though you do not see it. The cross strings evens out the opposing main string forces. I don't think it would be beneficial to leave a racquet partially strung. It does not take that long to string one up anyways, so if you are 1/2 way done best to just finish.I would not start a job unless I can finish it at that time. I know for a fact other stringers will leave a racquet partially strung,I have seen that and thats their choice. I have seen stringers string all one side mains before going to other side and no issues, but thats not right to do even though racquet does not break.There is a stringer in my city that strings Prince racquet crosses bottom up and never broke a racquet,as todays racquets can take a lot of abuse but... its still not right to do. There have been posts before where it was reported that racquets have cracked by leaving it partially strung, was it mounted wrong, or an older frame whith issues and this would have happened anyways, who knows. I will not do it.

It should only be a few minutes since the mains are already done. We're not talking 2 hours of grueling work here.If you plan to string a racquet just give yourself the amount of time you need to do it.