Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help me please (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429094)

ctromano 06-22-2012 07:33 AM

Help me please

Ok, I am having trouble keeping tension on my last strings on mains and crosses... where do I place my floating clamps so that I can keep as much tension as possible, and then tie it off and finish it, this is for mains and crosses, and what is the finishing knots for mains and crosses?

KerryR 06-22-2012 07:38 AM

2 things for reducing tension loss at tie off:
1) Learn to tighten the knot correctly. See YuLitle's Youtube video (google it).
2) Use a Stringway Tripple clamp on the mains-- they twist/draw back almost not at all.

Finishing knots (again google YuLitle's videos):
Double clove hitch
Parnel Knot

ctromano 06-22-2012 07:41 AM

cool thanks

Irvin 06-22-2012 08:25 AM

No matter how you tie the knot if your loss of tension is from the twisting of the clamp you won't be able to correct it. If you have a starting clamp you could use two clamps on the tie off string to prevent twisting. If the final main is not the outermost main you will have better luck preventing twisting by clamping that string to the main on either side of it. If you have a triple clamp all the better. A starting knot will prevent tension loss on the first cross and the final cross is the same as the mains - Use two clamps clamping that final cross to the one above it and below it.

mchjhn 06-22-2012 08:38 AM

also, keep in mind that the last main and the last crosses are shorter than the rest of the strings. therefore, the tension lose you are concerned about is less of a concern. you still want to pull the slack out of the knots as much as possible. but, due to the shorter lengths, it is not as much of an issue as some think.

Irvin 06-22-2012 09:11 AM

Another option if you do not string with hybrid strings is to string one piece (ATW if mains end at throat) and never tie off a main. Only tie off the crosses at the top and bottom of the racket. Since the stringbed is stiffer with all the strings strung if you tie off at the end the clamp will not twist as much.

ctromano 06-22-2012 11:07 AM

I have yet to try a one piece, what side would be the longer and what side would be the shorter side, 10/30 split right?

Irvin 06-22-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctromano (Post 6652169)
I have yet to try a one piece, what side would be the longer and what side would be the shorter side, 10/30 split right?

Depends on the racket as to what side is shorter and what the split is.

EDIT: For example, I use 5 racket lengths for normal one piece (and 7 racket lengths for an ATW pattern) when stringing one piece.

Woolybugger 06-22-2012 12:01 PM

is tension loss at the last string really that big a deal? I would think a lower tension on an off-center hit would actually be more forgiving and beneficial.

Valjean 06-22-2012 12:11 PM

This is the whole premise behind proportional stringing, of course.

CDestroyer 06-22-2012 12:25 PM

I increase tension by 10 pounds on the last 2 mains at each knot and on the last 2 crosses not to exceed the maximum recommended tension for the racquet. Then use the designated tie off grommet holes, get all of the slack out of the string between the last pull and the knot, then tie a Parnell knot. A simple, small, effective and easy to tie knot.

Doing this will minimize unneccesary tension loss.

Wikky 06-23-2012 12:24 AM

There has been a lot of debate about tension loss on the outside mains/crosses. My personal belief is that the tension should be raised on the last mains/cross to reduce tension loss like CDestroyer stated. One piece stringing, as Irvin said, can get rid of this problem by stringing ATW or using the jet method by skipping the second to last cross, weaving the final cross, and then going back and tie off.

1HandedBackhand 06-24-2012 10:13 AM

The last main will always seem loose because there is no string on both sides to support it. Also if you are striking the ball on the last or outside main consistently no amount of stringing techniques will help you anyway......