Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Compression shorts- Purpose? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429113)

Boricua 06-22-2012 09:56 AM

Compression shorts- Purpose?

What is the purpose of compression shorts?
Chris recommends Skins, what other brand is good also? (sold by TW of course:))

ArliHawk 06-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 6652012)

Depends. Nike Pro Combat are good and cheaper. Under Armour boxerjocks are good, too, but more like supportive underwear.

TripleB 06-22-2012 10:12 AM

I started wearing them several years ago after having surgery to repair two hernias. I originally started wearing them for support around my surgical areas; now I can't play without them.

I got the cheapest I could find (unfortunately not from T-W) which were by Franklin for $12 at a local 'carry it all' superstore. They've lasted for a long time and are comfortable.

TripleB

Susandaddy 06-22-2012 12:22 PM

For me its sweat management. Regular cotton underwear just gets too wet when it is 90 degrees outside.

I've not been able to tell any difference in performance between $30 Under Armour and $10 Wal-mart.

Biggest issue is length. Compression shorts vary in length by a considerable amount

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 6652012)

hcb0804 06-22-2012 12:30 PM

Delete post

hcb0804 06-22-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArliHawk (Post 6652053)
Depends.Nike Pro Combat are good and cheaper. Under Armour boxerjocks are good, too, but more like supportive underwear.

Yep. Depends.That's what I wear, under my compression shorts.

imajica77 06-22-2012 10:41 PM

Compression shorts help reduce muscle fatigue. Hence helping your game. There is a big difference between cheap compression shorts and the higher end ones like Skins. Like most things you get what you pay for. Skins is far superior to other compression shorts. They are much more supportive. If your serious about your game then take the step up and use the top of the line.

The Big Kahuna 06-23-2012 05:21 PM

The concept behind compression shorts is to provide the correct level of surface pressure to specific body parts, enhancing circulation and delivering more oxygen to active muscles. Improved circulation also helps to eliminate lactic acid build-up and other metabolic wastes so you can go harder for longer and recover faster. The better the quality of the short, the better they normally perform this function.

Muse 06-23-2012 05:43 PM

Never tried them for tennis, but I wear them on the days that I do squats and other leg exercises and they make a bit of a difference.

Bobby Jr 06-23-2012 06:08 PM

A study I've seen recently (I'll try to find) says there is no evidence that compression garments aid circulation or help stave off fatigue whatsoever.

The best they manage is support in terms of injury prevention on joints (knees/elbows/ankles etc).

USERNAME 06-23-2012 07:17 PM

UA Core Pro or whatever they're called, wear em to support the hips and lower back mainly but they keep the legs feeling good as well. The other reason is, well, to keep the goods from jangling.

Funbun 06-23-2012 09:02 PM

Yeah I see to Bobby Jr.

In cross country, many of us wore compression shorts after big meets. I never did; kinda explains why I strain so much after those races.

Lucy Brown 06-25-2012 11:27 AM

I highly recommend compression shorts. They are however way overpriced. I have Nike & UA that range between $30-35 US. I just got a pair of Russell for $16 at Walmart and they are just as good. No difference at all.

red rook 06-25-2012 01:27 PM

Have went through nike compression and under armours. Nike has blown two holes, under armour's are still truckin.

TennisNinja 06-28-2012 09:49 AM

I prefer the Nike Pro Combats over the Under Armor ones because they are more comfortable for me. The stitching to the UA ones seem to chafe a bit more and I don't like the material as much.