Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pros using silcone spray on their strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429279)

Torres 06-23-2012 10:16 PM

Pros using silcone spray on their strings

[Edit: Since originally posting this article (from the Sunday Times newspaper) a number of stringers from the Wimbledon stringing room and other events have said that they have never seen anything that would suggest that pros use silicome spray on their strings. Whether that means that they spray themselves after the racquets have been strung or the article is BS no one knows. Nevertheless you should treat the article below with a healthy dose of scepticism since it does not quote anyone or evidence that which it alleges/speculates in the article. Just because a story is printed in a newspaper does not mean its true.]

They definitely need to ban the application of external substances (other than logo paint) on strings. Doesn't say who the culprits are though and what type of strings this is being used on....

The Sunday Times
Barry Flatman Published: 24 June 2012

A Rafa Nadal topspin shot can rotate the ball at up to 4,900 revolutions a minute (Paul Childs)

TOP tennis players are hugely increasing the spin on a ball by secretly spraying their racket strings with silicon.

Former tennis stars, including two Wimbledon champions, this weekend called for a crackdown on the use of the spray. Pat Cash, who triumphed at Wimbledon in 1987, said: “The game’s values are gone.” In the 1960s, the Australian Ken Rosewall, one of the finest exponents of spin, got up to 2,000 revolutions of the ball per minute. Today’s players can reach 4,900rpm.

Cash said former players including Mats Wilander, John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl were supportive of his call for outlawing the use of silicon. Cash said Lendl “maintains string technology has gone way too far” and that the use of silicon should be banned.

Modern racket strings stretch and snap back in a fraction of a second, increasing the spin on a ball. Players enhance that spin further with silicon.

The International Tennis Federation is monitoring the situation but has taken no action.

syke 06-23-2012 11:25 PM

Where can I buy these silicone spray? Any good recommendations?

Bud 06-23-2012 11:36 PM

I've used silicone spray for a couple of years now on my stringbed. It does help the strings snap back into place but no more so than a non-sprayed gut/poly hybrid or a full poly stringbed.

I only use it because a full gut or multifilament stringbed is a mess without it... having to be constantly straightened.

I've never seen any study that definitively proves that silicone spray, when applied to a stringbed, increases spin on a tennis ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke (Post 6655214)

Walmart sells it for about $2 per can

Torres 06-23-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke (Post 6655214)

Complete waste of time for a rec player.

Bartelby 06-24-2012 12:07 AM

If it keeps a multi string job straight that's useful enough, but i dont use multi.

Bud 06-24-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6655240)
Complete waste of time for a rec player.

Useless opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6655251)
If it keeps a multi string job straight that's useful enough, but i dont use multi.

It does :)

YesTennis 06-24-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 6655225)
I've used silicone spray for a couple of years now on my stringbed. It does help the strings snap back into place but no more so than a non-sprayed gut/poly hybrid or a full poly stringbed.

I only use it because a full gut or multifilament stringbed is a mess without it... having to be constantly straightened.

I've never seen any study that definitively proves that silicone spray, when applied to a stringbed, increases spin on a tennis ball

Do you use WD-40 or the equivalent or is it just generic silicone spray?

000KFACTOR90000 06-24-2012 05:33 AM

It would be interesting to know if the pro stringers are applying it for their on court players.

corners 06-24-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

I've never seen any study that definitively proves that silicone spray, when applied to a stringbed, increases spin on the ball.

Here you go. Wd40, not silicone, but lubricants clearly increase spin: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...pinandlube.php

A_Instead 06-24-2012 09:00 AM

What is considered silicone spray? I know what WD40 is.
But not sure what is refered to as silicone spray?

Rabbit 06-24-2012 09:14 AM

Silicone spray can be found using trusty old Google. It run $5 - $13 a can. Seems to be readily available. If it does enhance spin, it should be banned.

gino 06-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Bud, how do you apply silicone spray and will it shorten the life on my string-bed?

I have a BLX Six.One 95 16x18 setup with a solinco poly main and syn gut, they vary based on what is sent to me.

mmk 06-24-2012 09:24 AM

If silicone spray is banned, shouldn't wax on gut be banned as well?

OldFedIsOld 06-24-2012 09:37 AM

Wouldn't graphite lube powder work better? Because silicon spray is a liquid so gunk would build up from the ball fuzz and the sand/dirt/etc from the courts, which would cause more friction on the bed.

Towerofpower205 06-24-2012 09:54 AM

Would this work with say an RpM blast and xcel hybrid

TennisD 06-24-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 6655274)
Useless opinion

No, he's actually very, very right. It's a massive waste of time and effort for a rec player.

grimmbomb21 06-24-2012 10:23 AM

Hopefully this thread doesn't lead to club and public courts smelling like WD40. :)

tyu1314 06-24-2012 11:18 AM

anyone try it on full poly or copoly?
since nadal is using a poly string.

Does it trade off any things?

tyu1314 06-24-2012 11:20 AM

would this work?
http://www.*********/itm/WD-40-NO-ME...item416368c600

Yourtenniscoach 06-24-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisD (Post 6656041)
No, he's actually very, very right. It's a massive waste of time and effort for a rec player.

Falls in line with rec players playing with poly strings, IMO. :roll: