Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Should I take the forfeit or let it slide? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429322)

popsicleian 06-24-2012 09:46 AM

Should I take the forfeit or let it slide?

Just signed up for the local singles ladder and scheduled my first match for this morning. The guy sends me a message through the league website yesterday at noon asking to move the match from 8:30 to 8. I saw the message around 10 last night and sent him a text letting him know that 8 was fine.

I showed up at 7:50ish, and practiced my serve for a while. Finally at 8:20 he leaves me a message telling me that he hurt his back last night and couldn't make it.

I know I have every right to take the win, but it feels cheap to get a win in my first ladder match that way. On the other hand, if he hurt his back last night, it sure would have been nice if he had let me know earlier so I didn't have to wake up early on my Sunday and drive to the park for nothing. What should I do?

I have another match before work tomorrow morning, so at least I'll get a real result soon.

Roforot 06-24-2012 10:26 AM

Take the default and move on. Guy sounds like a flake; if he'd texted you before he left, then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

jdubbs 06-24-2012 10:35 AM

What a jerk. Default for sure.

Cindysphinx 06-24-2012 10:42 AM

I would default him and forget him.

These days, it is so easy to reach someone that it clear this fellow doesn't value your time very much.

Plus, the back injury is almost certainly a fib, and that too is annoying. If he lacks the honor to tell the truth about the real reason he left you hanging, I'd kick him to the curb.

popsicleian 06-24-2012 10:56 AM

Alright, I went ahead and gave him the default. Only 84 more ladder rungs to climb before I can call myself the greatest tennis player in Arlington County.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning, so I can lose fair and square.

blakesq 06-24-2012 12:24 PM

I agree, when a jerk wastes your time by scheduling a match with you and doesn't even show up, he does not deserve any consideration. On the other hand, if something horrible happened to him, like (God forbid) his wife died last night, then, that would be a different story.

jdubbs 06-24-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakesq (Post 6656180)
I agree, when a jerk wastes your time by scheduling a match with you and doesn't even show up, he does not deserve any consideration. On the other hand, if something horrible happened to him, like (God forbid) his wife died last night, then, that would be a different story.

A story: i was playing a match when a funeral procession went by. My opponent stopped, put his hat over his heart and said a little prayer. I thought that was a little extreme, but touching, and told him so. He said, "Well, it WAS my wife and all."

dcdoorknob 06-24-2012 01:16 PM

Pretty much agree with others.

If he'd at least had the decency to contact you the previous evening, I might consider trying to work with him to reschedule or something instead of a default. But him waiting until 20 minutes after he agreed to play to finally let you know that he's not coming isn't going to cut it. Forget that. Default and don't worry about it.

floridatennisdude 06-24-2012 05:19 PM

I'd take a default in that scenario. If he challenges you back, I'd make it a priority to schedule him. However, if he no shows twice I would never try to play him again.

OrangePower 06-24-2012 08:03 PM

Ladder match?

I would take the default if I thought I had a good chance to beat the guy. Otherwise if I was a massive underdog I would not take the default.

Presumably there is nothing to gain by winning/losing other than placing on the ladder... so ultimately the real goal is to find your true 'slot'. No point in taking a default and taking an unrealistically high position only to end up getting dropped again when you lose to people below you.

On the other hand, maybe I would take the default after all just to punish the guy for feeding you obvious bullsh*t.

nickarnold2000 06-24-2012 09:22 PM

I don't like taking defaults but if you don't then he'll probably keep doing this to other people.

GlennK 06-25-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickarnold2000 (Post 6657130)
I don't like taking defaults but if you don't then he'll probably keep doing this to other people.

+1

That is the best reason for taking the default.

Taxvictim 06-25-2012 09:18 AM

Good call to default him. I agree with Cindy. He most likely overslept or forgot, then made a weak excuse.

blip 04-06-2014 07:29 AM

I thought I'd post on an existing thread rather than create a new one.

What if I had a scheduled match but was very late. I actually thought the match was an hour later. I was busy with my family and over-looked it. My opponent waited a half hour then emailed me and left the courts. I saw the email about 15 minutes later and called him to play. He said no and forfeited me for the playoff match. The rule I believe is a email and call before a forfeit.

Shoe on the other foot, I would have been mad but I would have called before a forfeit. I also would have still played.

Doesn't matter either way since it's just tennis but wondering how TT posters feel.

TIA

spot 04-06-2014 07:35 AM

If you show up more than 30 minutes late then you are not respecting your opponent's time. THey should take the default and you should simply accept it gracefully as it was completely your mistake.

blip 04-06-2014 07:47 AM

Thanks Spot, understood. I am usually very responsible. Funny how kids change time...

I asked him to play for fun and I would give him a few games and gas money but no love.

catfish 04-06-2014 09:19 AM

I get so tired of people saying they feel guilty for "taking" a default. If you show up on time for a scheduled match, and the opponent doesn't, they are "giving" you a default. You are not being a jerk if you default the match. You are, in fact, following league rules. League rules are in place to give structure to the league. Otherwise, it would be chaos. Can you imagine what would happen if there was no default rule in place? How long would people have to wait? Hours? Days? How many matches would have to be rescheduled, and how many times could the opponent show up late for the rescheduled match?

The standard time in Friend at Court (and most local league rules) is 15 minutes. If a player is 15 minutes late or more it's a default. If the on time player chooses to wait extra time because he or she has the time, then OK. Go ahead and play the match. But time is valuable and all of us are busy. Waiting more than 15 minutes for a late opponent should not be the norm, and no one should be criticized for defaulting a match when the opponent is late or a no show.

IA-SteveB 04-06-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 8247983)
If you show up more than 30 minutes late then you are not respecting your opponent's time. THey should take the default and you should simply accept it gracefully as it was completely your mistake.

I totally agree with you on that point. 30 minutes is a long time to wait around, plus you are making the on-time opponent LATER for things he might have going on after the match.

OrangePower 04-06-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blip (Post 8247974)
I thought I'd post on an existing thread rather than create a new one.

What if I had a scheduled match but was very late. I actually thought the match was an hour later. I was busy with my family and over-looked it. My opponent waited a half hour then emailed me and left the courts. I saw the email about 15 minutes later and called him to play. He said no and forfeited me for the playoff match. The rule I believe is a email and call before a forfeit.

Shoe on the other foot, I would have been mad but I would have called before a forfeit. I also would have still played.

Doesn't matter either way since it's just tennis but wondering how TT posters feel.

TIA

In your opponent's shoes, I would have taken the default and refused to play you later that day. I don't care about the result of a ladder match but on principle you should be penalized for your lack of consideration. And I would not rearrange my day's schedule in order to accommodate you.

Having said that, we've all forgotten an appointment at some time or another. So if you called me to apologize I would agree to play you for fun some other time, based on my schedule. And I would expect you to pay for the beers afterwards!

blip 04-06-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 8248780)
In your opponent's shoes, I would have taken the default and refused to play you later that day. I don't care about the result of a ladder match but on principle you should be penalized for your lack of consideration. And I would not rearrange my day's schedule in order to accommodate you.

Having said that, we've all forgotten an appointment at some time or another. So if you called me to apologize I would agree to play you for fun some other time, based on my schedule. And I would expect you to pay for the beers afterwards!

LOL exactly what I did. I'm different though, I bring beers to the match.