Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I've never met ONE person who likes Andy Murray - and I'm from Britain!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429390)

tank_job 06-25-2012 01:28 AM

I've never met ONE person who likes Andy Murray - and I'm from Britain!!

I'm being serious, EVERY SINGLE person who I've talked to about tennis has never had a single positive thing to say about Murray.

Responses about him range from "oh, I just turn off the TV whenever he's playing", to "I saw him live and couldn't connect with him at all - I ended up supporting his opponent", to "whining twat", to "hands down the most unpleasant person in sport".

And Britain is meant to be the place that 99% of Murray supporters live.

You guys may think that Nadal is the most hated tennis player out there - but that's only in tennis forums (if you actually ask most people, they love Nadal).

In the real world - Murray takes the title of most hated sportsman of all time with superlative ease.

So what is it about Andy Murray that makes him the most hated sportsman of all time?

ThoughtCrime 06-25-2012 01:32 AM

Your survey of your mother, father and second cousin provides a fair and balanced sample size. This conclusively shows that Murray is the most hated sportsman ever.

You truly are both a scholar and a gentleman.

tank_job 06-25-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoughtCrime (Post 6657417)
Your survey of your mother, father and second cousin provides a fair and balanced sample size. This conclusively shows that Murray is the most hated sportsman ever.

You truly are both a scholar and a gentleman.

No-one in my family or extended family follows tennis. They could perhaps tell you who Federer is but have no clue who even Nadal is.

No - my anecdotal experience is based on playing in various clubs and chatting with people there.

mawashi 06-25-2012 01:39 AM

Yeah I heard that being Scotish he hasn't been very nice to e English...

WhiskeyEE 06-25-2012 01:47 AM

The only 'fan' of Nadal's I've ever known is my mother. And she's no longer a fan because he has apparently turned ugly.

And one other person I guess who became a fan watching highlights and doesn't like him anymore either; after he saw him in a match and noticed his ***-picking and courtside antics.

Most people just don't care about Murray. He has a boring game and doesn't make much noise. Nadal is far more hated.

LetsGoRoddick 06-25-2012 01:47 AM

I am partly of Scottish descent and I think he is really boring to watch. Can't stand his matches, they are a snooze.

Leelord337 06-25-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoRoddick (Post 6657426)
I am partly of Scottish descent and I think he is really boring to watch. Can't stand his matches, they are a snooze.

when he plays federer its interesting though, federer makes him move w/the angles and drop shots lobs, its fun when them 2 play

Leelord337 06-25-2012 01:58 AM

i don't like mardy fish (jerk) and i'm from the USA, same goes for DY

CioabaRaul 06-25-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoRoddick (Post 6657426)

I have to agree with you on Murray's matches, there's no fun watching them and his "roarrr cat faces" make me wanna hit him in the face, but Roddick's game is as boring as Murray's

MurrayMyInspiration 06-25-2012 02:14 AM

Murray has a terrible reputation in Ireland aswell. I have never met anyone who is a fan of the Muzza. People that don't follow tennis alot nearly all like nadal,fed, and a little djokovic.

GodNovak 06-25-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6657414)
I'm being serious, EVERY SINGLE person who I've talked to about tennis has never had a single positive thing to say about Murray.

Responses about him range from "oh, I just turn off the TV whenever he's playing", to "I saw him live and couldn't connect with him at all - I ended up supporting his opponent", to "whining twat", to "hands down the most unpleasant person in sport".

And Britain is meant to be the place that 99% of Murray supporters live.

You guys may think that Nadal is the most hated tennis player out there - but that's only in tennis forums (if you actually ask most people, they love Nadal).

In the real world - Murray takes the title of most hated sportsman of all time with superlative ease.

So what is it about Andy Murray that makes him the most hated sportsman of all time?

Conclusion: You should go out more, and meet more people. And stupid post is stupid.

tank_job 06-25-2012 02:32 AM

You can't disagree that if we go on the ratio of people that have heard about him vs those who hate him, Murray is the most hated sports person of all time.

There may some in other sports who are more hated in total, but that is because they are from more popular sports and more people have heard of them, and many will also be fans of them.

WhiskeyEE 06-25-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6657469)
You can't disagree that if we go on the ratio of people that have heard about him vs those who hate him, Murray is the most hated sports person of all time.

There may some in other sports who are more hated in total, but that is because they are from more popular sports and more people have heard of them, and many will also be fans of them.

By that measure, he isn't even the most hated tennis player.

Cormorant 06-25-2012 02:40 AM

The All England Club must do an exemplary job of rounding up all the Murray fans in the world for his annual six Wimbledon matches, then. Either that, or British tennis crowds are really polite and don't want the guy to feel unloved.

stringertom 06-25-2012 02:45 AM

Surely in your short stint here you have read Batz' and Mainad's positive poasts. There are Murray fans throughout the world but this has been a difficult period after hopes were inflated by his AO'12 progress.

Hood_Man 06-25-2012 02:58 AM

I found that Tim Henman became a lot more popular when he retired (among the people I know anyway). Some people can't appreciate a good thing when they have it I suppose.

I do sympathise though. We watch tennis all year round so we know how good Murray can be and how often he wins, whereas most people might only watch the later stages of Wimbledon and therefore will only see him lose. It kind of warps your perspective a little bit.

Leelord337 06-25-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6657484)
I found that Tim Henman became a lot more popular when he retired (among the people I know anyway). Some people can't appreciate a good thing when they have it I suppose.

I do sympathise though. We watch tennis all year round so we know how good Murray can be and how often he wins, whereas most people might only watch the later stages of Wimbledon and therefore will only see him lose. It kind of warps your perspective a little bit.

i miss o'l brave tim

roysid 06-25-2012 03:16 AM

Because Murray doesn't have a popular personality or rather any significant personality. So it's tough for him to be popular in UK sans Scotland

okapi 06-25-2012 03:18 AM

i like andy murray a lot. i think he has one of the best backhands. and maybe the 2nd best backhand slice in the top 4 (fed has the best slice).

Bartelby 06-25-2012 03:24 AM

He's revered all along the Limpopo River.