Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help me pick my next machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429422)

seekay 06-25-2012 08:12 AM

Help me pick my next machine

Hi everyone,

I'm considering upgrading to a new stringing machine. I've been using an Eagnas Hawk with a Wise (pictured here). It gets the job done nicely, but I'd like a more modern, faster, mounting system and better fit and finish.

I think I know what I'd like feature-wise:
  1. 6-point Mounting
  2. Suspension Mounting
  3. Cam-lock clamp bases

Since I already own a Wise, I'm inclined to get a high-quality lock-out machine and leave the crank in the box. I like the idea of getting an all-out professional machine with an integrated electronic tensioner, but I can't justify spending more on a stringer than I spent on my motorcycle.

I've looked through the Eagnas and Gamma line-ups, and the Gamma 6004 6-point SC is my front-runner.

I'd like suggestions for what other companies' stringers might fit the bill and why they're better than the 6004.

Also, my favorite feature of my Eagnas machine is its clamps; they're pretty good copies of a fantastic Babolat design. Does anyone happen to know if I'd be able to use them with Gamma's clamp bases?

Thanks!

4sound 06-25-2012 09:00 AM

I got the 6004 2pt with Wise. My buddy has the 6pt version. Great machine. We've both had no problems with it over the last 3 years. Another great feature on the 6004 I haven't seen on another machine for the $; the mounting towers move together with the turning knob at either end to center the racket.

I have the Eagnas 3 tooth clamps and it will fit onto the 6004 no problem. I've strung on Babolat machines with the real 3 tooth clamps and I have to admit the Babolat clamps are much nicer. The recent version of the 6004 has the new slimmer 4 tooth clamp I haven't tried.

seekay 06-25-2012 05:58 PM

Thanks, I get the feeling that it's hard to go wrong with the 6004, and the self-centering option definitely appeals to me.

A friend also recommended the Alpha Axis Pro. I don't have any experience with Alpha's gear, so I'd love it if someone could directly compare that to the 6004.

sstchur 06-25-2012 10:01 PM

+1 on the 6004. Excellent machine. Love love love the SC mounting. It's really nice to be able to turn one knob to get things centered. I have a 6004 6pt SC with the 4 tooth clamps, and I have a 5800 2pt SC with even newer clamps (which are 5 tooth, but about as slim as the 4 tooth).

Honestly not sure which clamps I like better. They're both quite good.

LttlElvis 06-26-2012 06:18 AM

I had the exact set up. Eagnas Hawk 800 with Wise. Upgraded to Gamma 6004. Eagnas clamps fit Gamma, but the Gamma clamps seemed to clamp more smoothly, gently yet firm with no ghosting.

Chotobaka 06-26-2012 07:25 AM

I believe the 6004 uses the same top of the line clamps & bases as the 8800. The clamp base action is superb on these. 6004 and the Wise seems like it really hits the price/performance sweet spot.

mchjhn 06-26-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6661496)
I believe the 6004 uses the same top of the line clamps & bases as the 8800. The clamp base action is superb on these. 6004 and the Wise seems like it really hits the price/performance sweet spot.

correct, i agree

seekay 06-28-2012 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, especially regarding the Gamma clamps. For whatever reason, I hadn't considered that they might be better than the Eagnas clamps (which sounds so dumb when I say it), but my only previous experience was with the X-2's plastic clamps, and that's not at all a fair comparison.

I think my only option is to pull the trigger on the 6004... as soon as I convince my local buddy that he wants another Eagnas :)

Rabbit 06-28-2012 07:50 PM

If you've narrowed it to Eagnas and Gamma, there is no choice. Go with Gamma. The 6004 is built like a tank. The clamps are better than the ones on Neos, and I'm not complaining about the Neos.

mad dog1 06-28-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 6672040)
If you've narrowed it to Eagnas and Gamma, there is no choice. Go with Gamma. The 6004 is built like a tank. The clamps are better than the ones on Neos, and I'm not complaining about the Neos.

both are solid machines, but having owned both the 6004 and Neos 1000, i thought the neos glide bar clamps were superior in ways that mattered most to me. stiffer w/ less drawback and faster than the gamma swivel clamps. the only thing the gamma switch action clamps had over the neos glide bar clamps was convenience for fan pattern racquets.

fortun8son 06-29-2012 12:18 AM

I like my Eagnas Combo810. Will probably get the stand to make it a 910 and a Wise somewhere down the line.